Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

UK DVD of A Ma Soeur!, is it cut?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 06-18-02, 09:40 AM
pum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this film of controversial director, Catherine Breillat, due out in UK on 24th June according to Blackstar.co.uk. however, the running time of the disc is listed only 82 mins compare to 93 mins listed at imdb. so...
is it cut?
anybody have UK disc of Romance X. is it cut too?
thanks....
Old 06-18-02, 10:10 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Best site to find out cuts made by the BBFC is their own website, www.bbfc.co.uk. To answer your question, it is cut by less than 2 minutes to get the 18 certificate. Looks the video version of "Romance" is missing a seconds worth of footage.

Last edited by Giles; 06-18-02 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-18-02, 12:08 PM
pum

many thanks, Giles. i'll pass the disc. i don't like the censored version of movie.
i'm worried a bit about my UK disc of Intimacy that's shipped to me recently. the website said it passed uncut but who knows, maybe the distributor cut it before submited to the board.
i think French disc is safer (if only it has Eng. sub ).
CORRECTION: i checked the fnac.com. the French disc has running time at 83 mins also. look like we have no chance to see the film uncut at home.

Last edited by pum; 06-18-02 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-19-02, 04:37 AM

The HK Winson release of Fat Girl is NTSC and all-region.. but only 85 minutes
Old 06-19-02, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

pum: ...the French disc is PAL, so it also features the c.4% 'speed-up' that is inherent with PAL DVDs...

...so... if the HK disc says "85 minutes" then, in PAL terms, that would be 0.96 times 85 = 81.6 minutes, give or take a second here or there... this, in turn, would make the French disc, in NTSC terms, 1.04 times 83 = 86 minutes - and therefore 'longer', more 'complete' than the HK disc...

...remember:

1) ...by and large, in my experience the French don't 'cut' movies (the way the British often do, and the way the Germans sometimes do - drastically, too!), so a French DVD of a French movie is much more likely to give you the shebang, the whole shebang, and nothing but the shebang...

2) ...again in my experience, most of the time indications of a movie's running time on DVD covers are very approximate at best...

...the only way to find out how 'long' a movie on DVD is in fact, is by putting in the disc, skip to the closing credits, and carefully watch what the time indication on your player shows at the very last on-screen blip... (minutes & seconds, or hours, minutes & seconds, depending on which player, brand, model you own)...

...I suggest you try doing this by checking out a few random discs from your own collection - I'm sure you'll be very surprised - or disappointed, as the case may be - by the results: some movies will turn out to be 'shorter' than the (approximate) running time indicated on the cover, some may even be 'longer'...

3) ...I have found that, with PAL discs, the cover will - sometimes - state the (correct) running time of the movie as shown in theaters at 24fps... which, of course, is not the running time of the movie on the (25fps) disc...

...just a thought...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 06-19-02 at 06:21 AM.
Old 06-19-02, 07:21 AM
pum

thanks, hendrik. i rechecked the cinestore.com and it turns out that the French disc is "not" cut (as you suspect). it listed running time at 93 mins. the information on fnac.com is wrong. it stated on the bottom of page that the duration is 83 mins but stated somewhere else in the page that the film is 1 hr and 33 mins long. so i think the duration of the disc should be 93 mins.
the French disc is the one to buy except that it has no eng. sub again.
Old 06-19-02, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...this could go on for weeks...

The information on the IMDb site (93 minutes) is WRONG

The information on the cinestore site is WRONG

The information on the fnac site (83 minutes) is CORRECT - - - always assuming that the dvdrama REVIEW of the DVD itself ( http://www.dvdrama.net/fiche.php?2106 ) is correct, and always assuming that the information on the disc's cover ( http://www.dvdrama.net/hd.php?3992&amasoeurdos.jpg ) is correct also, and not forgetting the assumption that the contemporary review by America's pre-eminent movie critic ( http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/ebert_...11/112301.html ) is correct... every one saying that this movie is 83 minutes long...

...it's enough to drive a person mad!...

(...thinks...) I should get a life, that's whast I should do!...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 06-19-02 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-19-02, 08:44 AM
pum

hendrik,,,what you wrote confuse me more..but many thanks

Last edited by pum; 06-19-02 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-19-02, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...well... it shouldn't really: the gist of all this back and forth is that the movie is indeed 83 minutes long... no more, no less... it's just a short movie, that's all... some movies are (sometimes mercifully) short (for instance: Run Lola Run - 81 minutes), others are (too damn) long (for instance: Meet Joe Black - 180 minutes)...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 06-19-02 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-19-02, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You said it Hendrick - unfortunately, according to the website Giles posted above, the UK version is cut.

Measks this important question... is there (or do you know of any plans for) an uncut OAR release of this film with English subtitles?? It seems logical enough that there should be one somewhere, after all it played briefly in theaters in the US and Canada this way.

To the best of my knowledge, here's the situation so far:

1) French R2 DVD - uncut, but no English subs
2) UK R2 DVD - CUT, with English subs
3) Hong Kong DVD - uncut, with English subs, but not OAR (or perhaps it's cut too, I don't know - I just refuse to get it b/c it's not OAR and it's probably poor quality to boot (pun intended))

I've been waiting for this title to appear correctly for a long, long time - any hope at all??
Old 06-19-02, 03:22 PM

i'm pretty sure the HK DVD is cut.. from what i've heard..
Old 06-20-02, 01:30 AM
pum

Jon, i just knew today that Criterion rumored to release "Fat Girl" later this year. i wonder if it's "the" Fat Girl we're talking here.
anyone???
Old 06-20-02, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pum
Jon, i just knew today that Criterion rumored to release "Fat Girl" later this year. i wonder if it's "the" Fat Girl we're talking here.
anyone???
Yes. But keep in mind it's just a rumor.
Old 06-20-02, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by pum
anyone???
Oh man, that would be so kick ass!

I haven't seen it yet - but I've seen three of Breillat's other films (Romance, 36 Fillette, and at last year's SIFF, A Real Young Girl, which was utter crap) and hated them all, so I can't wait for this one!

(The difference is that the other 3 were mostly lambasted by critics, but this one was very highly praised - so I guess I'm just expecting that this one will be much, much better )
Old 06-20-02, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by Ju|ian
i'm pretty sure the HK DVD is cut.. from what i've heard..
what have you heard? what did they cut from it?

(I'd love to be able to tell you if it was cut.. but as I've got nothing else to compare my copy to I can't

Hemulen
Old 06-20-02, 06:11 AM
pum

Hemulen,,if you have HK disc, can you pls confirm that running time is 85 mins as you stated above or 83 mins as in French disc?
Old 06-20-02, 06:27 AM

Originally posted by pum
Hemulen,,if you have HK disc, can you pls confirm that running time is 85 mins as you stated above or 83 mins as in French disc?
the running time is listed as 85 miuntes..

the actual running time is 86min 3 sec from start to finish, including the credits

(or 83 minutes, 26 sec excluding credits)

Hemulen
Old 06-20-02, 06:53 AM
pum

Originally posted by Hemulen

the running time is listed as 85 miuntes..

the actual running time is 86min 3 sec from start to finish, including the credits

(or 83 minutes, 26 sec excluding credits)

Hemulen
doesn't sound cut to me. look like the disc's uncut.
Old 06-20-02, 08:16 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
and referring back to the BBFC website, they clock the complete uncut version at 82 minutes and 37 seconds.

Last edited by Giles; 06-23-02 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-22-02, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by pum

doesn't sound cut to me. look like the disc's uncut.
It would be so awesome if someone who has the DVD can confirm that it is the uncut version! I mean, so awesome!
Old 01-27-04, 06:47 PM

I thought I would resurrect this thread since I read this quote in a recent interview with Catherine Breillat. In the interview, she talks about the censorship her films have faced around the world. This part refers to A ma sœur, aka "Fat Girl."

"A ma sœur, par exemple est sorti sans coupures au cinéma en Grande-Bretagne, mais le DVD anglais a coupé la scène finale de viol."

I believe she is saying "A Ma Soeur" (Fat Girl) was released without cuts in Great Britain, but the final rape scene was cut from the DVD release.

Is this true? I was interested in purchasing the UK DVD until I read this.

By the way, Breillat's new film Anatomie de l'enfer (Anatomy of Hell) is being released tomorrow in France. From what I've read, it's her most sexually explicit film yet. I can't wait to see the many forms this film takes as it's released around the world.
Old 01-27-04, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I can confirm....the British disc is indeed cut. Have not seen the Aussie R4...but am told that it is not.
Old 02-01-04, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pum
many thanks, Giles. i'll pass the disc. i don't like the censored version of movie.
i'm worried a bit about my UK disc of Intimacy that's shipped to me recently. the website said it passed uncut but who knows, maybe the distributor cut it before submited to the board.
i think French disc is safer (if only it has Eng. sub ).
CORRECTION: i checked the fnac.com. the French disc has running time at 83 mins also. look like we have no chance to see the film uncut at home.

Hi Pum, good advice to check
http://www.bbfc.co.uk

When I get a zone 2 from England with any potentially questionable content for censors I check it.

And if its cut, I check alternative resourses. Check out the Italian release at http://www.dvd.it for intimacy.

Got it sitting in front of me, but haven't watched it yet. I did check though, isn't this film in English? I'm not aware that the version that I have is cut at all. So perhaps check that release out. If it is cut, i'd like to know where!, the scenes I saw when I checked the image quaility were quite explicit.

jim

Last edited by FaustBos; 02-01-04 at 04:48 AM.
Old 02-04-04, 09:52 PM

The R4 disc is 86 minutes.
Old 02-04-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The R1 Intimacy is advertised as Uncut (in fact there are 2 verisons of the film available...R and Uncut).