Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking for opinions/reviews

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-04, 06:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking about putting together a new order but unfortunately I haven't really been following things much recently Here's some of the titles I've come up w/ (a few new but mostly old) that looked interesting but if anyone has seen any of these and has opinions one way or another I'd appreciate hearing them

Infernal Affairs II
Heroic Duo
New Option: Gold Rush, The
New Option: The Revenge, The
Running on Karma
Dance of a Dream
Dreadnaught
Imaginary Suspects
Raid, The
Romantic Dream
White Storm

In particular are the "New Options" any good? They look like an extension of the option series of movies which I've enjoyed (for the most part ). Also if there's anything else that's come out recently that's a "gotta have" please feel free to recommend it

TIA
Old 01-27-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
I just got Infernal Affairs II and I liked the story a lot better than the first one. I have to rewatch IA to see how well they bridged the two stories, but overall I was drawn into IA2 more than IA.
Old 02-01-04, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You HAVE to get Heroic Duo. It's a great action movie, pure and simple. IA2 is probably worth it. I haven't seen it yet but it's Andrew Lau and usually his movies aren't crap. The first one was awesome so if you like it the second one should be good also. You can pre-order part 3 also. Avoid Dance of a Dream. It's Andrew Lau, I know, but I've heard it's horrendous. I haven't seen it because I heard... well, it was horrendous. Get Running on Karma, very good movie with great performances. Haven't seen the other ones but I'd buy The Raid and Dreadnought if I were you. They're probably worth it, with Tsui Hark and Ching Siu-Tung working on one and all the Yuen brothers working on the other.

Recommendations? From the list you gave... maybe Gen-X Cops and its sequel, maybe Fighting for Love, maybe Para Para Sakura (although it's a bit cheesy), maybe the Running Out of Time movies... They're not new but they're worth watching. Not gotta have, but worth watching. The only real gotta have that came out recently, I'd say, is the HK version of Princess Blade. Awesome choreography by Donnie Yen and a very nice story to go along with it. Dunno if the DVD's any good, though.
Old 02-01-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I reviewed Heroic Duo in my thread and I thought it was kinda crappy.