Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Attn TOSHIBA SD-3900 owners: No need for the remote code anymore!

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Attn TOSHIBA SD-3900 owners: No need for the remote code anymore!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-04, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No skipping during the credits on my SD-4900 for Pulp Fiction Collectors R1.

If you get it in the exact same spot everytime, then it's not the player. Check the disk for a scratch or a finger print. Usually Toshibas are good at reading scratches and dirt but maybe the 4900 isn't, who knows.

Jeff
Old 06-01-04, 02:36 PM

Originally posted by AndyMorrison
There's more to the 4900 than meets the eye. I have been playing around with settings on mine and have discovered a couple of useful hacks that aren't mentioned here. First, I was annoyed by the fact that if I stopped a disc and turned the machine off and then back on it started playing the disc again from the beginning instead of where I stopped it. This can be fixed by using the codes 55 53 00 47 16 55 FD FF instead of 55 53 00 47 14 55 FD FF for the 'Pause 1 4 7 2' EEPROM values. Secondly, the machine is actually capable of pure PAL output or an 'AUTO' mode that plays NTSC discs in NTSC and PAL discs in PAL. To change the setting, hold down the pause button on the front panel (not the remote) for 5+ seconds. The LCD display will change and show the new TV standard. It can be cycled through NTSC -> PAL -> AUTO -> NTSC by repeatedly pressing, holding and then releasing the button. What's even better is that if you play a PAL disc on PAL or AUTO and have progressive scan enabled it appears to be PAL progressive that is output.
My original EEPROM numbers seem to be slightly different than the ones you say you started with. Mine are 55 53 00 67 14 55 64 FF, which means the 4th and7th sets are different. I just did a search and found what you have listed is the SVCD EEPROM just wondering if you have that enabled which is why they are different. Also while search around I found that zenith uses very similar eeprom numbers this is the setting to disable macrovision and enable vcd playback "55 53 00 47 14 55 FE FF
OR: 55 53 00 46 14 55 FE FF". As far as I can tell the only difference is in the 4th set so I'm wondering if messing around with that set if there is a way to disable macrovision since I haven't been able to find a hack to do that.
Old 06-02-04, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awesome! I tried all three hacks:
Region-free
SVCD
Play where you left off

The last two definately worked, as I checked them. I was at the SVCD. I burned a copy of the Incredibles trailer to SVCD and the quality was awesome. Much better than VCD.

As for the region free hack. Well, I don't have any non-region 1 dvds to test it, but I burned the disc and I got the menu that allows me to choose region 0, so I assume it worked.

Thanks a lot. My player just became 10x better.
Old 06-02-04, 11:16 AM

Josh - With no disc in the tray and the player on, you should see 'no disc' on the front panel. Then , using the remote, press 'pause' then '1' '4' '7' and '2'. Your screen will go blue and there will be a set of 8 hex number pairs shown. There will be a caret under the first digit in the first pair. To change any digit you move the caret using the left and right arrows. To change the second digit of the fifth pair you would hit the right arrow 9 times. Once you are in the correct position you can use the numeric keys to directly enter a number. For example, to enter a six just hit the '6' button. To change a value to a number greater than 9 you use '1' for A, '2' for B, '3' for C, '4' for 'D', '5' for E and '6' for F but you hold the button for 5+ seconds. Once you have the 8 pairs with the values you desire, turn the machine off and back on again and you're done.
Andy, thanks for your concise instructions on how to apply the changes to the eprom values. Updated my 4900 to your suggested values:
55 53 00 47 16 55 FD FF
Old 06-03-04, 12:33 PM

I just got my order from DvdWorld and my Eyes Wide Shut disc isn't playing right. When I try to use the special features they don't play smoothly and the number on the player jump around. Also when I get to around the 1hr and 27min point in the movie the same thing happens. I can't tell if it's a bad disc or the players problem. Anybody else try the Brazilian Eyes Wide Shut on the Toshiba 4900?

Edit: Well it appears to be a bad disc. I tried the other 2 movies I ordered and they play fine. I also tried the Eyes Wide Shut disc in my computer, which is an iBook and I still could change the region code depending on the disc so I put it on region 4, and when it gets to the same point the dvd player application crashes and I have to reset the computer. Anybody else ever get a bad disc from dvdworld.com.br, I was wondering what the procedure is.

Last edited by Ringo20000; 06-03-04 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-03-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Never had a single problem with my Toshiba 3900... too bad about the disk.
Old 06-03-04, 04:44 PM

So does anyone know for sure if macrovision can be disabled on the SD-4900?
Old 06-09-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

From their site:
designed for use with "Region 1" coded DVDs
Old 07-11-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by LASERMOVIES
I should ask if you know if it is possible to add a time remaining feature to the player? That's about the only other thing I would like to get this player to do.
Has anyone figured out a way to do this? It is a feature that I used all the time on my previous player.
Old 07-11-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks AndyMorrison those hacks are very nice!
Old 07-11-04, 08:25 PM

I have the 4900. Works very well although I'll admit the lack of a remaining time indicator is quite irritating to me. My other two (older) Toshibas had features I would love to have on this (shrink as well as zoom, remaining time per chapter as well as movie). I've noticed that the 4900 pixel crops a bit more also although it could be that the overscan on my TV is getting worse with time and that's what I'm noticing.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make the CD that permanently converts this to region free work though. My first several attempts failed.
Old 07-12-04, 01:11 AM

It should never fail. If it does, the disc is not properly burned. Try buring it at a slower speed. I've performed it on two units and it worked the first time on each of them.

Jeff
Old 07-12-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's more to the 4900 than meets the eye. I have been playing around with settings on mine and have discovered a couple of useful hacks that aren't mentioned here. First, I was annoyed by the fact that if I stopped a disc and turned the machine off and then back on it started playing the disc again from the beginning instead of where I stopped it. This can be fixed by using the codes 55 53 00 47 16 55 FD FF instead of 55 53 00 47 14 55 FD FF for the 'Pause 1 4 7 2' EEPROM values. Secondly, the machine is actually capable of pure PAL output or an 'AUTO' mode that plays NTSC discs in NTSC and PAL discs in PAL. To change the setting, hold down the pause button on the front panel (not the remote) for 5+ seconds. The LCD display will change and show the new TV standard. It can be cycled through NTSC -> PAL -> AUTO -> NTSC by repeatedly pressing, holding and then releasing the button. What's even better is that if you play a PAL disc on PAL or AUTO and have progressive scan enabled it appears to be PAL progressive that is output.
Thanks Andy! The EEPROM thing worked great.

This was my only complaint about this player. I tried the second hack, holding pause on the player to get the auto play, but nothing happens. I tried holding it for a longer period, but it just kept saying "no disc". Anyone get it to work?
Old 07-12-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Someone mentioned in another thread that the 4900 can be made to accept SACD's. Anyone do that? I looked everywhere and found nothing.
Old 07-12-04, 02:58 PM

Maybe they meant "SVCD" since there is a hack for that.
Old 07-12-04, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by Amel
Thanks Andy! The EEPROM thing worked great.

This was my only complaint about this player. I tried the second hack, holding pause on the player to get the auto play, but nothing happens. I tried holding it for a longer period, but it just kept saying "no disc". Anyone get it to work?

On my 3900 Auto play is turned on in the setup menu (in the "other" section at the end).
Old 07-13-04, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried that too, but that seems to be a different type of feature.
Old 07-14-04, 05:46 AM

Auto Play, if I'm not mistaken, is for CD's and VCD's.
Old 07-18-04, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by richard98
I zipped the directory/files and uploaded to my server. When you extract it, you should have a directory RMTM0000, a subdirectory SCARLET and a file within the SCARLET subdirectory. Just burn the entire directory to a CD using the previous instructions:

Zipped Hack File
Thanks to Richard98 for the above. Being a non expert at this I messed up the first couple of tries, but finally got it working.

I suppose it's a long shot, but if there is any hack that will display remaining time it will go a long way to making this a perfect player.

Last edited by Paul Drake; 07-19-04 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-21-04, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Jeff L
Auto Play, if I'm not mistaken, is for CD's and VCD's.
It seeks out the longest "title" on a DVD and starts to play that without the intros that are often forced. If you end up with the wrong title it's still quicker to hit menu for the main menu than suffer some of those awful obligatory startup routines.
Old 08-22-04, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i have a ? for the sd3900, my friend has it and it has sound but no picture. i was wondering if anyone know how to turn off the progressive scan using the remote; i think the progressive scan is turn on that y it has no picture but has sound; i dont have the manual for the sd-3900. i google for sd-3900 has sound no picture, and havent found a solution for it.
Old 08-22-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by the_dude8
i have a ? for the sd3900, my friend has it and it has sound but no picture. i was wondering if anyone know how to turn off the progressive scan using the remote; i think the progressive scan is turn on that y it has no picture but has sound; i dont have the manual for the sd-3900. i google for sd-3900 has sound no picture, and havent found a solution for it.
Press STOP if a disk is playing, then press and hold stop for five seconds before releasing it. That will restore the video output to its original setting.
Old 08-23-04, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DrGerbil
Press STOP if a disk is playing, then press and hold stop for five seconds before releasing it. That will restore the video output to its original setting.
thanks for the fast reply dr. gerbil
Old 02-05-05, 12:34 AM

Is there a way to have both the SVCD and "resume play" hacks active at the same time?

Also, my 4900 has been having serious touble with lock-ups when trying to load DVDs or returning to the blue welcome screen instead of playing the movie as of late, and it takes ages to get it to work again. Could this be a sign of the lens having gotten dirty? My apartment is quite dusty.
Old 07-05-06, 01:06 PM

I'm having a really tough time with the Resume (Pause 1,4,7,2) hack. I recently bought my SD-3900. Will it work on only older models?

I simply tap the buttons in that order but nothing happens.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.