Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Kill Bill -- February 9th in the UK?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 12-29-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7100000020803

I went to add this to the previous Kill Bill thread over in DVD Talk, but Mao closed it.

I just recieved an email from Blackstar.co.uk. According to them, Kill Bill will be out February 9th. However, they list no specs.

Amazon.co.uk still has the release date as April 19th.
Old 12-30-03, 07:20 AM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

i think it might be better to wait for the japanese version before deciding cos kill bill vol 1 japanese version in cinema is more violent and has a nude scene as compared to the US version. this is what i heard.
Old 12-30-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...yes, perhaps, BUT... (see the last remark, about Japanese dialog)...

. . . . . .
Old 12-30-03, 03:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by Hendrik
...yes, perhaps, BUT... (see the last remark, about Japanese dialog)...

. . . . . .
It says the print doesn't have English subs. That doesn't mean the DVD won't.
Old 12-30-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...and why, pray tell, would a Japanese DVD - made, in principle, for the Japanese market - of an American movie that happens to include (some? a lot of?) Japanese dialog, why, I say, in my usual long-winded way, would such a DVD - which, I repeat, is made principally for the Japanese market (that's why it is coded Region 2, after all...!...)- include English subtitles for Japanese dialog...?...

. . . . . .
Old 12-30-03, 05:44 PM

Same reason they include English subtitles, along with Japanese, on an American movie with an English soundtrack on an R2 Japanese disc. I have quite a few, X2 being one example.
Old 12-30-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...I guess I stand corrected then... (the only - English language - Japanese DVDs I own are Luc Besson's "Leon" and - he said, blushingly - "Fair Game", starring Cindy Crawford and William Baldwin - afaik neither have English subs, in fact FG only has an all-Japanese menu, no English anywhere)...

. . . . . .
Old 12-31-03, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Most of the Japanese R2 discs I have include English subtitles so my guess is that this one would also. Helps a lot on movies like Dances with Wolves, just not really up on my native American languages. Of course when I saw Kill Bill in the theater, no subs to be found...........
Old 01-03-04, 04:15 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
Re: Kill Bill -- February 9th in the UK?

Originally posted by Rogue588
I just recieved an email from Blackstar.co.uk. According to them, Kill Bill will be out February 9th. However, they list no specs

Amazon.co.uk still has the release date as April 19th
Blackstar has it as April 19th now
Old 01-03-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
In regards to Japanese DVD releases...

in addition to the main feature, do the "Extras" on many releases also include optional English subtitles?
Old 01-03-04, 07:24 PM

skatefan20, I haven't seen one yet.
Old 01-03-04, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Re: Re: Kill Bill -- February 9th in the UK?

Originally posted by MrX
Blackstar has it as April 19th now
jeezus..
Old 01-04-04, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts
Originally posted by ntuc
i think it might be better to wait for the japanese version before deciding cos kill bill vol 1 japanese version in cinema is more violent and has a nude scene as compared to the US version. this is what i heard.
The Japanese version had more violence but there was definitely NOT a nude scene. I saw this version and can state that for a fact.

I think that there is a 50/50 chance that the Japanese disc will have English subs. These days, English subs are becoming a bit more common on Japanese discs. But yes, theatrically, the English subs that were on the US print were not present on the Japanese cut (but there were Japanese subs for the English dialogue, naturally. Even the song in the opening credits had subs).
Old 01-04-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally posted by cultshock
I think that there is a 50/50 chance that the Japanese disc will have English subs. These days, English subs are becoming a bit more common on Japanese discs.
It may have English subtitles, but you will almost certainly have to toggle them on or off between scenes whenever Japanese dialogue comes on. It will not have an option for English subtitles to appear just during the Japanese dialogue.

The Ronin - Ultimate Edition has this problem for its scenes with French dialogue. The English subs are an all-on/all-off proposition.

Considering that the intended market is Japanese, this only makes sense.
Old 01-05-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,107 Likes on 1,447 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
It may have English subtitles, but you will almost certainly have to toggle them on or off between scenes whenever Japanese dialogue comes on. It will not have an option for English subtitles to appear just during the Japanese dialogue.

Actually, yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing myself, but was too lazy to write that at the time. Oh well, at any rate, if I have to toggle subs, or not have them at all, I will still buy the Japanese DVD, whenever the hell it comes out (the theatrical release of Volume 2 in Japan is still mentioned as being during "Golden Week", their big holiday week in April, so maybe the DVD will be released shortly before that?).