Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dogville first review

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Dogville first review

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My copy of the Limited Special Edition just shipped from HKFlix .
Old 01-15-04, 08:23 AM

From what I have read of reviews about the 50 Min docu - that´s NOT on the Korean LE - it´s not as informative as it could have been. Rahter bland, really.
The only review I've read of this is as follows, from DVDtimes...

Documentary (53:19)
‘Dogville Confessions’ - a film by Sami Saif. This is a marvellous documentary that gets right to the essentials, is superbly filmed and, on a production like this, never dull. The director’s struggles with his cast – notably Lauren Bacall – trying to get them to understand his vision are fun. The film is presented in 16:9 anamorphic. Most of the dialogue is in English with the occasional Danish and Swedish. The subtitles are slightly problematic – you can choose either English language subtitles for everything or nothing at all.
I think this is worth considering when people are deciding which version to go for.
Old 01-15-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are right about the reviews. But I rather have the exclusive Korean LE version, which is OOP anyway, and is already a "true" collector´s item that is very hard to get. One can always get the Danish or French 2 Disc.
Old 01-16-04, 09:57 AM

I ordered a copy of the Korean Special Edition of Dogville from Yesasia.com for only $20.99, and now if you spend at $39 there shipping to the US is free. This price is much better than the $29.99 HKFlix and Pokerindustries has it for.
Old 01-16-04, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by Dane
You are right about the reviews. But I rather have the exclusive Korean LE version, which is OOP anyway, and is already a "true" collector´s item that is very hard to get. One can always get the Danish or French 2 Disc.
Very true, and if the limited Korean was still around at a fair price, I probably would have gone that way. But if you're now just choosing between the regular Korean and the Danish, I think the extra doc sways it for me, at least.
Old 01-16-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Bleddyn Williams
Very true, and if the limited Korean was still around at a fair price, I probably would have gone that way. But if you're now just choosing between the regular Korean and the Danish, I think the extra doc sways it for me, at least.
I hear you, Bleddyn.

Living in Copenhagen, Denmark, we are so fortunate that the documentary will be shown on television at a later time, so I might catch it when it airs. Either version one prefers, they are both great.
Old 01-16-04, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The limited Korean edition is still available through these guys in Denmark:

http://www.axelmusic.dk/productDetails/0012142
Old 01-17-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
The limited Korean edition is still available through these guys in Denmark:

http://www.axelmusic.dk/productDetails/0012142
Yes, I know. I mailed them to hear how many they´ll get. Rasmus, the store manager, said they only get 10 copies of the LE version. They want £48.00 or $ 85.00 for it... without shipping. Including shipping I guess it will be about $ 100.00. Pretty hefty, in my mind.

Anyway, some of them have already been resevered to customers, even though they won´t have available before the 27th of January. Matter of the fact is, it´s more likely already "Sold out" before anyone get a chance to order it online.

I´d say the best way to get the Korean LE is to "bid" on it through eBay.

Last edited by Dane; 01-17-04 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-17-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

O...I did not know...well, I thought I'd post it anyhow so.....
as to the price...yes I concur.
Old 01-19-04, 09:30 AM

Living in Copenhagen, Denmark, we are so fortunate that the documentary will be shown on television at a later time, so I might catch it when it airs. Either version one prefers, they are both great.
Dane, having now seen "Dogville Confessions", I certainly recommend trying to catch it. Its more of a fly-on-the-wall doc, with lots of great footage showing interaction between Lars and his cast. Its highly enjoyable and goes by very quickly.

Definitely worth a look!
Old 01-19-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, for the info, Bleddyn Williams. Looking forward to see the doc.
Old 04-05-04, 07:08 PM

dumb question

I have read about PAL-NTSC conversion problems when the original source is video instead of film. Does this also apply when the original source is high-def digital video? In other words, if the transfer featured on the Danish DVD of Dogville was made using the original digital source, would this cause the same problems that occur when the original source is merely video? I would think not since the standards for high-def digital video are not the same as those of video. However, I must plead ignorance and admit that I really do not know. Please help! I am unsure as to whether I should get the Danish DVD of the film, or get the R3 NTSC version in order to avoid video conversion problems.

P.S. I am not sure if the transfer on the Danish DVD was made using film elements, or if it was made using the original digital source. Not sure if this makes a difference in relation to my question. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.
Old 04-05-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

ok....so no need to ask the same question twice....the other thread is....not needed.

To sum up rather quickly here: I have seen both versions and they both look great! I went with the Danish one as I like it a notch better. No artifacts or anything like that. If you do some research you will see that the Danish release was nominated as one of the Top 10 best foreign releases (in a poll at DVDBeaver).

Cheers,
Pro-B
Old 04-05-04, 07:33 PM

thank you

Pro-B,
Thanks for your help. I apologize for the duplicate posts. I suppose that I got a little over-zealous. It shall not happen again.
Old 06-25-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Here are the extras on the upcoming British disc.....

Clearly not even close to the Danish one....which proves to be the best version avalable. Period.!!

From the British- (dvdtimes)

MGM Home Entertainment have announced the UK Region 2 DVD release of Dogville for 2nd August 2004 with a retail price of £15.99. Lars Von Trier's controversial take on small town America. With minimum props, no use of location and pioneering camerawork the focus really is on the amazing cast – Nicole Kidman, Lauren Bacall, James Caan, Paul Bettany and Chloe Sevigny – in this exceptional film.

Features include:

* 5.1 Surround Sound
* ‘Confessions Box’ Featurette – footage of the on-set video diaries of cast and crewmembers. A revealing and insightful featurette which strips the cast bare.
* ‘Von Trier, Kidman & Cannes’ – Documentary portraying the films unveiling at Cannes, provides a rare insight into the world famous film festival
* Original UK Theatrical Trailer

Pro-B
Old 07-02-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i read somewhere that the korean region 3 version has really bad video qualtity, but the region 0 is fine. can anyone confirm this and should i wait for the us release (the documentary doesn't matter to me)
Old 07-03-04, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I thought the Region 3 was the Region 0? Meaning its labeled as Region 3 on websites but it is in fact Region 0.
Old 07-03-04, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Correct...as I stated before the Korean disc was marketed as being R3 yet it is R0. The negative review I can not link at the time as dvdbasen is down.

Pro-B