Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New Kurosawa UK DVDs - Sanjuro & Ikiru

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-03, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see that Sanjuro and Ikiru were released in the UK this week. Has anyone gotten them? If so, how is the picture quality? Are the subtitles player-generated or burned-in?

I'm really interested in knowing if Sanjuro is anamorphic since the Criterion version isn't.

Last question - I promise. Does anyone have the UK DVD of Stray Dog? How's that one?
Old 10-09-03, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KRAP! I just ordered the Mei Ah "Sajuro" because I couldn't afford Criterion! I already have the Mei Ah "Ikiru" and live with it. This will teach me patience!
Old 10-09-03, 10:33 PM

someone posted this over on the criterion forum:

"bfi IKIRU (PAL, R2, UK) DVD running time 02:17:00

Subs are player-generated but not removable (maybe if you have a hacked player?). Transfer is good, nice resolution, but the print is not as good as I was expecting. Quite a lot of damage in places. If Criterion are using this print they'll have to do a lot of their wet-gating... "

I was really looking forward to this titles and it doesn't look so hot. I'm guessing it's better than the asian import that's floating around... Still, I think I might wait for the Criterion (which has a very good chance of coming out sometime in 2004).
Old 10-11-03, 03:21 PM

I remember reading a BFI justification for releasing foreign language movies with burned-in subtitles. Apparently their contracts with the copywrite owners states that only subtitled versions can be used - What the hell is that all about ? "We will only let you put out our movies in your country if you use subtitles." Can anyone think of a reason for this ?
Old 10-11-03, 06:12 PM

Originally posted by del bosque
I remember reading a BFI justification for releasing foreign language movies with burned-in subtitles. Apparently their contracts with the copywrite owners states that only subtitled versions can be used - What the hell is that all about ? "We will only let you put out our movies in your country if you use subtitles." Can anyone think of a reason for this ?
Makes people in Japan less likely to import the cheaper British disc if they're forced to watch English subs? I wouldn't be that likely to import an American movie with forced Japanese subtitles displayed over it the whole time.

Sucks, but that's about the only reason I can come up with.
Old 10-12-03, 07:07 AM

Again, subtitle confusion

There are no player-generated subs in the first place - they are all present on the dvd in the form of bitmaps.
Now, are they "forced" like the postings which fluffnose quotes suggest, or are they "burnt into" the video as del bosque said? If they're forced, some hacked players can show the movie unsubbed, if they are burnt in, there's no way to remove them.