Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Best Tsukamoto's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-03, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Tsukamoto's?

Inspired by his performance as JIJII in Ichi the Killer I have decided I must get some more Tsukamoto's films (as director). I already have a couple on VHS but no DVD yet. What are the best versions to get and any more on the way?
Old 02-18-03, 01:55 PM

Of what I've seen, I'd recommend TETSUO: THE IRON MAN and TOKYO FIST, both of which I loved. TETSUO II is sort of an EVIL DEAD II-type sequel, closer to big-budget remake than actual sequel (also in color instead of b&w), but didn't do as much for me. GEMINI is interesting, but a little more classy than Tsukamoto should be IMO.

As far as versions, I only know the R1 DVDs. Unfortunately, I believe TETSUO is out of print in R1, but TOKYO FIST is in print from Palm Pictures (as is TETSUO II). The import disc of GEMINI was very satisfactory as well. It's been too long since I watched them to remember much about picture quality, although none of them were completely unwatchable (though I vaguely remember TETSUO II seeming a bit washed out or too dark or something).
Old 02-18-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Thor
Of what I've seen, I'd recommend TETSUO: THE IRON MAN and TOKYO FIST, both of which I loved. TETSUO II is sort of an EVIL DEAD II-type sequel, closer to big-budget remake than actual sequel (also in color instead of b&w), but didn't do as much for me. GEMINI is interesting, but a little more classy than Tsukamoto should be IMO.
Tetsuo is a great movie, I saw this years ago as a rental and got the DVD about a year ago, still see them around every now and then in Tower Records, but I dont know if it still is that easy to find.

A slightly off topic question, on the North American VHS of Tetsuo it had another short film on it as well, called Drum Struck (or something similar to that) does anyone know if this is available on DVD somewhere?

Thanks
Old 02-18-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Best Tsukamoto's?

Originally posted by vorticez
Inspired by his performance as JIJII in Ichi the Killer I have decided I must get some more Tsukamoto's films (as director). I already have a couple on VHS but no DVD yet. What are the best versions to get and any more on the way?
The Korean NTSC Region 0 of Gemini has a very nice anamorphic transfer.

The R1 releases of Tetsuo &Tetsuo II are both full frame, as they were shot, and are not bad transfers.

Tokyo Fist is nonanamorphic letterboxed, with a serviceable transfer. Watch it back-to-back with Fight Club!

Another film to check out is Synapse's Reg 1 DVD of Organ directed by Kei Fujiwara who was "the woman" in Tetsuo.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 02-20-03, 02:08 AM

Also check out BULLET BALLET for another dose of Tsukamoto mayhem
Old 02-20-03, 05:18 AM

Thanks for all the info. I have both TETSUO movies on VHS and love them both but didn't get the DVD as I wasn't sure of the aspect ratio. I read somewhere that they were 1.37:1, does this mean the DVD are just open matte versions? Definitely try to be getting GEMINI. TOKYO FIST, BULET BALLET and ORGAN (never heard of this before-thanks!).
Old 02-20-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by vorticez
Thanks for all the info. I have both TETSUO movies on VHS and love them both but didn't get the DVD as I wasn't sure of the aspect ratio. I read somewhere that they were 1.37:1, does this mean the DVD are just open matte versions? Definitely try to be getting GEMINI. TOKYO FIST, BULET BALLET and ORGAN (never heard of this before-thanks!).
I could be wrong, but I believe that the reason that both Tetsuos are 1.37:1 is that they were shot on Video, or a mixture of film & video, not that they couldn't matt a video transfer. But 1.37:1 IS, as far as I know, the correct aspect ratio.

cheers, Tony Block
Old 02-21-03, 03:12 AM

Get the French R2 DVDs if you can.

They are the best versions available. But unsubtitled. The scripts are readily available, but require PC-DVD.

Tokyo Fist / Bullet Ballet - Édition Collector 2 DVD
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005YTPN
Tetsuo / Tetsuo II - Édition Collector 2 DVD
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005YTPM
Gemini / Hiruko The Gobelin - Édition Collector 2 DVD
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000-5YTPO
Old 02-21-03, 04:37 AM

Thanks to you both. I would like those french discs, especially the hiruko one as I have never seen this, don't actually own a PC though, just post at work so I need subs!