Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

PAL Speedup ? [merged]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

PAL Speedup ? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-03, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...and I say: live with it...!... many hundreds of millions of people the world over do (...in fact, unless I'm very much mistaken - and I freely admit that I often am!... - many more people the world over watch PAL TV than do NTSC TV, and they don't seem to mind one bit...)

. . . . . .
Old 04-19-03, 08:19 PM

Yes you are right again dear Hendrik.
Old 04-21-03, 11:04 AM
Banned

well...all *I* have to say is...

I couldn't let a "pal speed-up" thread go by without saying hi.

I don't think I have to say any more than I'd rather NOT live with it...given a choice...and never will.
Old 04-22-03, 02:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
while not exactly on the subject of speed up, I was reading in a UK DVD mag that PAL DVD's have 100 more lines of resolution to be able to take advantage of PAL monitors higher resolution, what happen to those lines when run on region free players that convert for NTSC playback? Is the video supressed or lose anything in the conversion?
Old 04-22-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I for one believe in what I see and PAL looks much better on my TV (which is NTSC). I dont have the "hard facts" on a paper to back my statement however, again, this is what they (PAL) anamorphic discs look like.

For the record I do not have any non-16/9 PAL discs so maybe there is any difference there when compared to their 16/9 NTSC counterparts. But there should be one, shouldn't it?!!!!

Also, to all of you that claim that the speed up is a huge obstacle that one should always consider....YES, there is a slight pitch difference but such could be felt only if you have seen a movie on a NTSC disc thousands of times and have switched since then to PAL format.
99% of my PAL discs are foreign films-French, Italian, a few German and Scandinavian titles- therefore I could not support the "voice difference" claim as I rely on subs. My region free player was obtained solely for the purpose of accessing European cinema/smaller Asian import titles which I cant seem to be able to find in R1 or have accepted the fact that the majors will never release them at home. So, I am more than happy with my options....with all the plusses and "flaws" they, for that matter, come!!!

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 04-22-03 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-22-03, 11:37 PM

Article on PAL speedup

Article on PAL vs NTSC
Old 04-23-03, 10:09 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
interesting articles, bolo.

That guy seems to have looked into the matter in some depth and seems to show no bias/dogma in his conclusions.
Old 04-23-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
while not exactly on the subject of speed up, I was reading in a UK DVD mag that PAL DVD's have 100 more lines of resolution to be able to take advantage of PAL monitors higher resolution, what happen to those lines when run on region free players that convert for NTSC playback? Is the video supressed or lose anything in the conversion?
When converted to NTSC, the PAL resolution is downconverted in a process similar to the way that anamorphic discs are downcoverted for 4:3 TVs. In fact, many of the cheaper region-free players use the same chip to do both functions, which is why they have problems maintaining proper aspect ratio when converting from PAL to NTSC (they drop too many scan lines).
Old 11-21-04, 11:23 AM

A friend of mine has some comparison samples on his hp:

http://www.schmidt-web.info/malte/english.html
Old 11-21-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have an HTPC, you can use Intervideo's WinDVD6 PAL TruSpeed, which will correct the speed difference perfectly. Only caveat is it doesn't work with digital tracks, but IMO it's well worth it. I don't play PAL discs any other way.