Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

IRREVERSIBLE (M.Bellucci)-OUT ON January 21

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-02, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The title says it all....AMAZON.FR has it up fro pre-order!!!

(though there's no info about anything else......)

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-08-02 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-08-02, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll give it a 5% chance it'll have ENG subs...
Old 11-09-02, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Pics?
Old 11-09-02, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...oh yes... pics... please ! ! ! (...especially of the ykw scenes, the ones that "push the envelope" of contemporary filmmaking!...)

. . . . . . . . ! ! ! A C H T U N G ! ! ! S P O I L E R S ! ! ! . . . . . . . .

...a review of the movie... and something else...
...and a Canadian POV... and another Canadian POV...

...what? me ironic?...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 11-09-02 at 02:04 AM.
Old 11-09-02, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

....pics??....this must be the most stupid thing I've ever heard...

....and on the issue of "push the envelope of contemporary filmmaking".....though I have not yet seen the movie...I am sure that it does have its message.....remember....I am not exactly sure that when Brando's Last Tango in Paris first came out people were thrilled about "that" scene OK..??.....so let's not be ironic here.....
Old 11-09-02, 02:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
....pics??....this must be the most stupid thing I've ever heard...
[An explanation for those that are humour deficient]

You should get out more. There's an unwritten rule that when you mention a female of excessive beauty [such as Monica Bellucci] it's mandatory that at least one pic be posted.

[/An explanation for those that are humour deficient]

To be honest, I knew nothing about this flick. The "(M.Bellucci)" part is what caught my eye.

Anyways...thanks for the links Hendrik. Next time i'll know to leave my sense of humour in the other forum.

BTW...what is "ykw"?
Old 11-09-02, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"BTW...what is "ykw"?" -> you know what

. . . . . .
Old 11-09-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

....right.....the only problem is that the pic "reference" is somewhat more linked to the rape scene.....or is it not!??? So, I am not sure what kind of humor you're implying here.....

...as far as me going out.....this has nothing to do with the thread (though you could thrust me that I do my best)...

ps
Maybe if you look at the Cannes official website you'll even find that you missed more than you knew....not just IRREVERSIBLE
Old 11-09-02, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

....right.....the only problem is that the pic "reference" is somewhat more linked to the rape scene.....or is it not!??? So, I am not sure what kind of humor you're implying here.....
Read this again...s l o w l y...
Originally posted by Rogue588
To be honest, I knew nothing about this flick. The "(M.Bellucci)" part is what caught my eye.
Nothing means "No part; no portion". I didn't know about the fire extinguisher or the rape until I checked out the links that Hendrik posted. So my pic "reference", as I clarified, was somewhat more linked to Monica Bellucci.
Old 11-09-02, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,260 Likes on 838 Posts

Old 11-09-02, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

...so I read it very s-lo-w-l-y and still stand behind my words...I KNEW NOTHING ABOUT YOU NOT KOWING ANYTHING ABOUT THE RAPE SCENE...

..alas....since this movie has been discussed here quite a bit....logically my remark....therefore I did not know that your"reference" was SOMEWHAT linked to M.Bellucci.

With all this said....lets not turn this into "I said You said" thread ok? You could say anything you want of course but from now on I will reply only to remarks regarding the movie......As you could see(from past threads) for quite sometime now I have been waiting for this moivie to be announced so I'd rather discuss articles/reviews as the ones that Hendrik posted or other aspects of the DVD/movie.

Lastly, by no means I hold any grudge towards you or your remarks.....sometimes however the lack of verbal expression makes communication over the Net a bit "tricky".

Sincerely yours,
Pro-bass

PS
I think that eXcentris has done a great job.....granting your wish of course!!!!

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-09-02 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-09-02, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

...so I read it very s-lo-w-l-y and still stand behind my words...I KNEW NOTHING ABOUT YOU NOT KOWING ANYTHING ABOUT THE RAPE SCENE...

..alas....since this movie has been discussed here quite a bit....logically my remark....therefore I did not know that your"reference" was SOMEWHAT linked to M.Bellucci.
Knowing what I know about the movie now, looking back at my original post I could see how one might jump to the wrong kind of conclusion about what I was asking for. But I suppose it was the "most stupid thing" comment and [what I thought was] the dismissal of my clarification that triggered my sarcasm.
Lastly, by no means I hold any grudge towards you or your remarks.....sometimes however the lack of verbal expression makes communication over the Net a bit "tricky".
Works for me and I agree with you 100% [if you only knew...] And in the spirt of peace I offer...

[Back on topic now...]
While checking the rest of Hendrik's links, I caught a trailer for this flick. That's when I realized that i've seen it before [the trailer, not the movie]. Last year a DVDTalker posted a link to a site that had a homemade French Daredevil movie trailer [before Ben was doing it]. While I was there I saw Monica's name attached to this so I clicked on it, watched it, and didn't think much of it afterwards. However, after looking at some of these reviews I might just have to check it out. I d/l Baise Moi last year to see what all the controversy was about. It wasn't bad. I might just give this one a shot.

Hell, Monica's in it.

Now if only I hadn't found out she was married...

BTW...GREAT pic eXcentris
Old 11-09-02, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...I see that, slowly but surely, this is turning into a Monica Bellucci thread...

...ahh... say it softly: Monica Bellucci...
(...the lady's no longer married to whatsisname btw...)

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 11-09-02 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-09-02, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

....this is what I have on my computer: first wallpaper.....

http://www.alwaysgirls.com/wallpaper...ellucci01.html

Great quality....great resolution........

ps
I do not mind turning this into a "Bellucci" thread.....I just wish all of her movies were available on DVD....

Hendrik, as always, is absolutely right....she is currently single and no longer married to Vincent Cassel.......

PS-2

I would like to claim credit for pushing her name/info/movies(Dobermann??/etc. on this forum........IF POSSIBLE!!!(ha ha ha ha)

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-09-02 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-10-02, 08:04 AM

Back to the original topic: Finally, this gets a release date! I'll have to pick this one up, although I'm sure (for all the non-French speakers out there) it will not have English subs. I will be interested to see the specs once they're confirmed.

Dazza.
Old 11-10-02, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

A chronological version, perhaps? Although, as with Memento, it really wouldn't be the same film anymore, it might prove interesting from an analytical point of view.

I am one of those people who think that the reversed timeline in the film worked wonderfully (I'll back this up with an explanation if one is requested). I hope at least to hear Noé's comments on this.
Old 11-11-02, 12:05 PM

Durdens explaination

okay explain yourself...
Old 11-11-02, 01:57 PM

The following contains slight spoilers relating to plot structure, not details. I didn't use spoiler tags, but I can if someone wants me to.

By reversing the causality of the events in the film, Noé illustrates the film's rather fatalistic central theme of everything good and pure being destroyed by time.

The fact that the audience witnesses the horrible after-effects first before being presented with the calmness that preceded them amps up the tragic nature of the film. Imagine, if you will, what the effect would be if we first saw how hunky-dory everything was, and then were shown how it was all lost. This would be the cinematic equivalent of a damp squid, and would probably ellicit a "so what?" reaction in the audience. Things are good, then they go bad. In terms of plotting, it'd probably seem exploitative and manipulative.

But, since the movie begins with the culmination of all the hatred and manic drive for revenge that the two main characters feel, and then continues with the scenes that lead up to it, the normality and, in the final scenes, dreamlike serenity of life stands out. This, I suggest, may shock the viewer much more than the film's most graphic scenes: how could this ever lead to what happens later?

By showing not only cause after effect but also seemingly irrelevant aspects of life after the cause, the film presents an important point: that all the terrible things that occur are actually the disintegration and decay of something that once was and is no more; love, trust, hopes, dreams, anything. This would not be so clear if the film did not have a reversed timeline.

The structural topsy-turvydom also stresses the point that what we once do we cannot undo; as we observe each wrong turn that led to another in a previous scene in the film, the audience cannot help but think how these turns could have been prevented. The characters cannot see what will happen in the next 15 minutes, but we know just how bad things will turn out.

Thus the importance of moderation and consideration becomes clear. It's curious how the film has been attacked for its graphic and uncompromising nature by many who fail to see that it's actually one of the most moral films to have come out in the last few years.

Also, the fact that the film gradually rises from darkness (remember that the nightclub's name is "Rectum") to light (with, ironically, one of the most beautiful and haunting closing shots I've ever seen), Noé avoids the trap of having the audience anticipate the already infamous scenes during the film's whole duration and not concentrating on anything else. They are all over before the film's half-way mark, and then Noé forces us to reflect on what has happened before (i.e. later in the film's chronology).

In a sense, since we have to travel in the tunnel for about two hours before we see the light at the end of it, it's not the light that strikes us the most but the realisation that a journey to it could have been so dark. Perhaps, then, we will cherish the light even more and hope that the process of going up the tunnel is irreversible.

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 11-11-02 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-11-02, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...oh boy!... thanks for giving us your take on this movie... speaking for myself, I'm suitably impressed by the writing - but not at all convinced... sorry!... my take on the movie is summed up in one word: exploitation...

(signed) Not a Philistine

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 11-11-02 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-12-02, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by Hendrik
my take on the movie is summed up in one word: exploitation...
You're perfectly entitled to your opinion, but you must agree that the film's treatment of rape is the most honest in the history of cinema. I can't remember the last time I was so repulsed by an act that in most other films is usually shown fleetingly and used merely as a "plot point"... Well, the gangrene in "Requiem For A Dream" had the same effect. Like it or not, the film in question educated me, and in the best possible way, too.

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 11-12-02 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-12-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Hendrik
my take on the movie is summed up in one word: exploitation...
You say that like it's a bad thing...
Old 11-12-02, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

exploit [...] 2 to take advantage of (a person, situation, etc.), esp. unethically or unjustly for one's own ends. [...] -> exploitation -> "exploitation movie" (e.g. Mondo Cane etcetera, and so forth)

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 11-12-02 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-12-02, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Let's just hope and pray that there are English subs......everything else is fine with me....exploitation or not...

As a matter of fact 80-90% of the movies that are made are based on some sort of a feeling, pain, sex, desire....whatever emotional quality the filmakers could put their hands on and subsequently produce a "believable" plot. I know that for sure AS this is why I buy movies....to experience a journey I am often either afraid of or unwilling to embark on (or for whatever reason I am missing at the moment in my life).
This, specific one, just happens to be quite repulsive...I'll give you that one....but again I am sure it will teach me something(YES, it sounds corny...SO WHAT??)

ps
Hendrik....I happen to agree with your statement (though not 100%) but I also agree with Josh Z as well.......
The mere fact that we are on these boards reading, discussing, buying movies.....is sort of an exploitation. At least I am sure that's how the studios regard us.......

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-12-02 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-12-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Let's just hope and pray that there are English subs......"

...yup... the brilliantly written dialogue (subtitled or not) in this movie is the reason 99% of the people who are lusting after the DVD release will be buying the disc - nay, pre-ordering it! - asap...

. . . . . .

"...and now... for something entirely different..."

Last edited by Hendrik; 11-12-02 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-12-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Hendrik......I have to admit this:

YOU MAKE ME LAUGH!!!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.