Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New Release of Wing Chun?

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-02, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just about to order the Tai-Seng DVD of Wing Chun (one of my favorites in the genre). Then, I saw that there was an Oct 11 release of this movie from Modern Audio (International) Ltd.

Has anyone seen this version and can comment on the quality as compared to the Tai Seng version?

Thanks much.
Old 10-17-02, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Where did you see information on a new release?
Old 10-17-02, 09:53 PM

I saw it on eBay. As of last week, a number of sellers are offering this version; whereas before, all I had ever seen were the Tai Seng and Tung-Ah (mainland) releases. I'm not familiar with the distributor "Modern Audio," but the packaging looks really nice.

All I have to go on are the seller ads, which lists a DD 5.1 audio mix (which could be a good or bad thing), the language/subtitling arrangement, and a 10/11/02 release date.
Old 10-18-02, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you can PAL, I would wait for the HKL release. The Tai Seng (discontinued - and 99.999% of the ones on e-Bay are bootlegs that Tai Seng has no control over since they lost the rights a little whilte back).

Anyways, the Tai Seng (OOP) is the best version so far (a little grainy, yellowish tinty, cantonese and funny english dub). But the HKL will be the definitive one.
Old 09-25-04, 08:21 PM

We've taken a look at Hong Kong Legend's recent UK release of Wing Chun, a period Woo Ping actioner starring Michelle Yeoh and Donnie Yen. You can read the full review here.

Snippet:
An average, uninvolving story line is bolstered by some stunning action from Woo-Ping and his stars, making this a worthy addition to the collections of fans of either him, Michelle Yeoh or Donnie Yen. However, this may not be the film to get if you are new to Hong Kong action cinema, as the storyline quickly becomes rather dull.

Another solid package from Hong Kong Legends, giving Wing Chun a technically pleasing video and audio presentation, and another great collection of bonus material. If you've been following HKL's past releases, then you know exactly what to expect, and when it can be picked up for less than a tenner, I'd say that it'd be worth checking out.
Old 09-25-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by axolotls return
HKL will be the definitive one.
I'll be getting that one. They're also releasing John Woo's Once a Thief soon.
Old 09-26-04, 02:44 AM

Once A Thief will be Decembet 6th. Apart from the usual Bey Logan commentary, the set will include interviews with both Woo and Terrance Chong.
Old 09-27-04, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by divemaster
I saw it on eBay. As of last week, a number of sellers are offering this version; whereas before, all I had ever seen were the Tai Seng and Tung-Ah (mainland) releases. I'm not familiar with the distributor "Modern Audio," but the packaging looks really nice.

All I have to go on are the seller ads, which lists a DD 5.1 audio mix (which could be a good or bad thing), the language/subtitling arrangement, and a 10/11/02 release date.
Modern Audio tends to distribute TV series and also picks up rights to films after others drop them, it seems. I also have In-Law, Out-Laws, a lesser and recent Lydia Shum title and the HK release of the KR Quiet Family...and some episodes of an HK TV cooking series.

Last edited by dleedlee; 09-27-04 at 11:17 AM.