Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New DVD of David Lynch's Dune Coming to R2 [merged]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

New DVD of David Lynch's Dune Coming to R2 [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Bring back this thread again.

I just wanted to say thanks to Zeratul for helping me obtain the German 3-disc SE with the limited edition sandworm statuette. It is a very cool collectible, to be sure.

Regarding the picture quality, this new anamophic remaster looks like garbage! It is much much worse than those screen-caps we were discussing above can possibly convey. It is a simply terrible picture transfer, and the movie is very badly censored in those scenes also referenced in a previous post.

Still, the supplements on the third disc are actually pretty good. I wish I understood German. There is some good behind-the-scenes footage and the production extras are fairly comprehensive (covering everything from Alejandro Jodorowsky to songs inspired by Dune). There is even an option for watching just the extended footage from the TV cut as individual snippets rather than sitting through the whole thing. The supplement disc seems to have been put together by real Dune fans, and I appreciate it.

Now, I've got to check out this Japanese anamorphic disc to see how its transfer looks.
Old 01-02-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Z
with the limited edition sandworm statuette
Is there a picture of this somewhere (either your own, or somewhere on the net)? I'd love to see this...
Old 01-02-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It looks like this auction posted earlier in the thread contains a picture of the worm statue:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1576991021

Scroll all the way to the bottom.
Old 01-03-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool, thanks.
Old 03-07-03, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dune R2

3 Disc Set. Looks like it came out last August. Includes the theatrical and TV Version. Anyone have this? A good anamorphic version coming to R1 soon? Damn cheap at Euro 16.93

http://www.1a-dvdshop.ch/Default.asp?idlnk=15211

"DVD1:
- main film: Restored Anamorphe cinema version 2.35:1
- 2 Trailer "Dune"
DVD2:
- 180 min TV version frame
- 3 Trailer
DVD3:
- Making OF
- photo gallery
- information to Cat & crew
- Biografien
- film script
- Dune Themepark
- cooking with Spice
- encyclopedia to Dune
- family tree of the Atreden Altogether over 100.000 sides and 200 minutes auxiliary material! "

Cooking with Spice?! Recipes? A Dune Themepark?! Where! Do they drop you in the desert and hope you find your way home? I swear I didn't make these up!
Old 03-08-03, 12:23 AM

R2 Dune

I'm assuming that you're already aware that this is the German (Laser Paradise) release.
The only thing I've read about this is from www.dvdcompare.org.uk/:
Despite the attractive looking packaging, the release suffers for both poor audio and video transfers.
Note also that most of the extras are presented in German.
Although, in the end, they recommend this version for its extensive extra features and the two versions of the film. I guess if you don't mind giving up audio and video for special features, this is the disc for you.
Old 03-08-03, 07:59 AM

I read that too. I already have the TV version and the Jap. R2 16:9 disc. Guess I'll just wait.
Old 03-08-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I've got brief reviews of both the German 3-disc set and the Japanese anamorphic disc on my Dune page:

http://www.mindspring.com/~dunestuff

Neither has a particularly good transfer. The non-anamorphic American disc still remains the best-looking edition of this film.
Old 01-27-04, 10:30 AM

DUNE New 2-DVD UK Edition: It's the *Theatrical Cut* after all...

hi folks,
I was looking to clarify whether the "177 min running time" of the upcoming R2 DUNE Special Edition was indicative of the expanded TV version being used (recall we wondered whether the movie would be in 2.35 or not).

Turns out it's the THEATRICAL version after all, and that the 177 m. running time *includes extras*:

http://www2.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/display...1;-1&sku=99895

Sounds like a nice set, but I'm not going to splurge another $30 just to import a 45 minute documentary.
Old 01-27-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=343419