Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Questions about a few titles

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-02, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a few questions regarding a few titles I want to purchase from other regions:

Three Colours Trilogy: Are the UK and Australian versions of equal quality? I can't tell if the Aussie versions are anamorphic or not but assume they are. The Aussie versions are less expensive.

The Brood:I see the French version is anamorphic widescreen while the UK version is Pan/Scan. Does the French disc have forced subs?

Short Cuts: Looks like Spain is the only place this one is available. Is it in English? Is it anamorphic widescreen and does it have any kind of forced subs?

Scarface (1983): Benson's world has this as being out of print in the UK. Is the Australian disc as good quality-wise?

The Sting: Is the UK version or Australian version better? Are either anamorphic?

National Lampoon's Vacation: Any difference between the UK and Australian versions?

Laurel & Hardy:Sons Of The Desert: Do the French or German versions have any kind of forced subs on them?

I appreciate any help I can get on these!
Jeff
Old 06-07-02, 06:46 PM
Cool New Member

There are plenty of excellent Aussie sites to answer most of your questions.

But first have a look at http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/compari...omparisons.php this UK site compare DVD R1, R2 UK, R2 Europe and R4

The best Aussie site is http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/ with excellent review of R4 DVDs. Anyway in 90% of the time a R4 DVD is a clone of a R2 UK.

For Spain have a look at www.fnac.es

For France have a look at www.dvdfr.com
If you see "Sous-titres imposés sur la VO" it means French subtitle are compulsary.

Scarface is far from being out of print in the UK.
You find it in high street store for around $10.

Hope it helps.
Old 06-07-02, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure I remember someone saying the Australian versions of Three Coulours were inferior to the UK releases. The Uk releases are great and have some excellent special features.
Old 06-09-02, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

R1 Sp Ed of The Sting due late this year or early next.
Old 06-09-02, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...according to the VeoVeo site the Spanish release of Short Cuts features an anamorphic 2.35:1 transfer on a DVD-9, optional Spanish 4.0, English "Estereo" and Catalán Mono soundtracks, optional Spanish and English subtitles...

http://www.veoveo.es/docs/detalle.asp?d=16851

...the French DVD of Sons Of The Desert has optional subtitles in several languages, including English, as well as optional Mono soundtracks in several languages, including English...

...as for the French DVD of The Brood, it has 'locked' French subtitles when the optional English soundtrack is selected... available here:

http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=521

...note that this e-tailer obviously prizes honesty, since they (correctly) state that the disc has "removable French subtitles [depends on your player]"... so you're forewarned (the fact is, most DVD players do not allow you to 'remove' locked subtitles!)...

. . . . . .

Last edited by Hendrik; 06-09-02 at 04:25 AM.
Old 06-10-02, 03:30 AM

Re: Questions about a few titles

Originally posted by Truffaut Fan
I've got a few questions regarding a few titles I want to purchase from other regions:

Three Colours Trilogy: Are the UK and Australian versions of equal quality? I can't tell if the Aussie versions are anamorphic or not but assume they are. The Aussie versions are less expensive.

I appreciate any help I can get on these!
Jeff
dangerous assumption..

as already stated, the r4/australian versions ARE far inferior to the UK release - even to the point that one of them may be a panned and scanned release.. go unless cost is your main driver, avoid the australian release.

(the same can be said for a number of other such r4 releases - all of which were treated to very poor panned and scanned releases

Hemulen