Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question for Japan Based DVDTalkers...

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-02, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question regarding the availability of multi-region players/enhancements for players in Japan.

My brother-in-law (in Japan) is interested in getting a multi-zoned player so I am hoping that some of you might be able to provide some clues as to where he might be able to purchase such a beast, or how/where he can get a player modified... he lives in Kawasaki city, so Tokyo (read, Akihabara) is probably going to be most convenient to him.

(I am assuming that like here in Australia, most DVD players/TVs are multi-system so that PAL/NTSC conversion should not be an issue.)

Alternatively, are there multi-zone enhancements available for the Japanese Playstation 2 (he has one), and if so are there any PAL/NTSC conversion issues on that front?

Thanks in advance for any help/information you might be able to provide.

regards, Tim...
Old 04-22-02, 02:28 PM

Modified codefree dvd players are actually quite easy to find in akihabara. He should go to any large store (Laox, Satomusen, etc) and go up to the duty free floor (usually the top floor). They will have codefree players. PAL to ntsc conversion is not a feature sought after in Japan so if he needs that then tell him to be sure and buy a jvc player.
Old 04-22-02, 06:22 PM

Originally posted by thomasdasilva
Modified codefree dvd players are actually quite easy to find in akihabara. He should go to any large store (Laox, Satomusen, etc) and go up to the duty free floor (usually the top floor). They will have codefree players. PAL to ntsc conversion is not a feature sought after in Japan so if he needs that then tell him to be sure and buy a jvc player.
Thanks thomasdasilva, appreciate the information. Does anyone else have anything further to add with regard to multi-zoning the Japanese Playstation 2?

regards, Tim...
Old 04-24-02, 09:32 PM

When I was in Akihabara last year there was a street vendor hawking a memory card product "Region X" ... I've seen it also on some websites (I'm sure Google will turn up something).
Old 04-25-02, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well about 1 month ago I saw at Akihabara in T-Zone at the import PC sections some region free dvd players!It was cheap also.They were selling very fast so maybe can make an inquiry about it.About the Playstation, well there were some street vendors,but I have no idea on their products!
Best way is to bring a couple of DVD's from different region,maybe region 1 cause they sure will have region 2 and test it!
Old 04-25-02, 08:55 PM

No Kumar J (and ur2punk), thank you for your kindness

My brother-in-law knows his way around Akiba (Akihabara) well, so I am sure now that he has a couple of leads, he should have no trouble following them up (he will be back in Japan in just over a weeks time) - at least he has no language barriers to contend with

regards, Tim...