Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Hot Deals

Hot Deals Post and Discuss Non-DVD Bargains and Sales!

Old 11-28-12, 12:28 PM   #126
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: MoviePass Beta Invite (Unlimited Movies in Theater)

I was given by cash.
Old 11-28-12, 12:31 PM   #127
DVD Talk Legend

Nope, I pad $3.25 for 3D before I figured out how to do it for free, on another card. But the way I did it is buy 2D with the MP card then trade it in for 3D with my card.
Old 11-28-12, 01:44 PM   #128

I already figured out myself how do it for free when I first ask myself and it was quick & easy. What I did was find the expensive 2D showtime on fandango then trade it in for the cheapest 3D/IMAX showtime. If I want to see The Lord of the Ring Trilogy Marathon, I check-in any one of most expensive 2D showtime (wreck-it ralph) that I intend to see on mobile app and purchase different 2d movie (hobbit) at kiosk. Come back again and check-in another boring movie and buy the same movie. Then go to customer service to trade it in for free, since mine was $12.50 each x 2 days = $25.00 + no change.
Old 11-28-12, 02:12 PM   #129
DVD Talk Legend

I read this a few minutes ago and I'm still struck by your brilliance. The cheapest IMAX is $6.50 more expensive than the most expensive 2D, but I'm gonna buy 2 X 2D tickets and trade it in for one IMAX ticket .....
Old 11-28-12, 02:37 PM   #130

yea thats right buy 2x tickets towards one IMAX ticket + refund. use that refund to buy concession food or something.
Old 11-29-12, 09:53 PM   #131
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really wish they would change their policy to merely allow the purchase of 30 (or 31) tickets in any given month, as opposed to one movie per day. The closest theater to myself is fifteen miles away, or almost thirty minutes. It would be different were I to work in that city, as I could merely stop by after work, but my job is almost thirty minutes away from me in the opposite direction. So if I chose to see a movie after work, I have to drive the half hour home, and then an hour round-trip to the theater.

If it were merely a set number of films per month, I could make the trip on my two days off each week, and see two or three movies each day. I would pay for the service in a heartbeat at that point.

now 82% more manly
Old 11-30-12, 12:07 AM   #132
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisiblegt View Post
I really wish they would change their policy to merely allow the purchase of 30 (or 31) tickets in any given month, as opposed to one movie per day. The closest theater to myself is fifteen miles away, or almost thirty minutes. It would be different were I to work in that city, as I could merely stop by after work, but my job is almost thirty minutes away from me in the opposite direction. So if I chose to see a movie after work, I have to drive the half hour home, and then an hour round-trip to the theater.

If it were merely a set number of films per month, I could make the trip on my two days off each week, and see two or three movies each day. I would pay for the service in a heartbeat at that point.
Sorry to hear of your travel issues with work and whatnot. My guess is that MoviePass figures they can limit the number of movies people see if they make them travel to and from the theater each time, an inconvenience for the customer. Given that on average in the long run MoviePass's fixed fees need to exceed the amount they're shelling out for all these movie tickets, I unfortunately doubt they're going to do things that make it easier for us to buy more tickets at this point.
G-Man Movie Reviews on YouTube - Quick movie reviews including Mockingjay Part 1, Foxcatcher, Interstellar, St. Vincent, Whiplash, John Wick, Gone Girl, The Guest, 22 Jump Street, Godzilla, Oculus, Hellraiser, 21 Grams, Fargo, and more!
Why I'm Pumped For JURASSIC WORLD!
VIDEO MOVIE REVIEWS: Mockingjay Part 1 Foxcatcher Interstellar St. Vincent
Old 11-30-12, 02:35 AM   #133

I'm still debating this. I have an invite, but I'm just not sure it makes sense, financially. I live in a small-ish town that now only has one theater, tickets are 9.25 (7.50 matinee) and selection on anything smaller isn't always (ever) great... I don't typically go to the theaters a ton, I was thinking with this it would make me go more... but going back and looking at what came out this year, and what it scheduled to come out next year, I'm not sure it would be something I would use 40 times a year to pay for itself.
Old 11-30-12, 09:08 AM   #134
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I read through the posts and it looks like a neat idea, but I have some questions that I didn't find answers for on their website.

Is there anyway to see what the monthly fee is for my area (iNCREDiPiNOY says it ranges from $29.99-19.99 per month)? We only have two theater chains in town so not that many options to choose from.

Is there a set amount on your MoviePass card (the monthly fee?) or is it just unlocked for the ticket price each time?
Old 11-30-12, 02:35 PM   #135
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison View Post
I read through the posts and it looks like a neat idea, but I have some questions that I didn't find answers for on their website.

Is there anyway to see what the monthly fee is for my area (iNCREDiPiNOY says it ranges from $29.99-19.99 per month)? We only have two theater chains in town so not that many options to choose from.

Is there a set amount on your MoviePass card (the monthly fee?) or is it just unlocked for the ticket price each time?
My monthly is $34.99, but I live in NYC. Think it might be $39.99 in some places. In KS, you're probably on the lower end of the price range.

No set amount beyond the one 2D movie per day limit. I think MoviePass knows the max cost per 2D ticket at each theatre, so they look at your card statement to see if you've been cheating the system. Basically you just select the movie on the MoviePass app, check-in at the theatre once you're withing a couple hundred yards, and it activates your card to use at the kiosk or ticket window.

I had an issue last week where one of the movies I wanted to see wasn't showing up on the app, so I gave them a call and they made a manual reservation for me. It's actually all very easy.
G-Man Movie Reviews on YouTube - Quick movie reviews including Mockingjay Part 1, Foxcatcher, Interstellar, St. Vincent, Whiplash, John Wick, Gone Girl, The Guest, 22 Jump Street, Godzilla, Oculus, Hellraiser, 21 Grams, Fargo, and more!
Old 11-30-12, 04:54 PM   #136
DVD Talk Hero

So how does one get an invite? It sounds interesting.
Old 11-30-12, 06:19 PM   #137
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Check your PMs
Old 12-01-12, 01:39 AM   #138
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks, I signed up.
Old 12-01-12, 06:36 AM   #139

My mobile app f'ed up.

Old 12-01-12, 07:56 PM   #140
DVD Talk Legend

Multiple ones of my movies show up like that, no biggie.
Old 12-01-12, 08:05 PM   #141

really? like waht movie
Old 12-01-12, 08:44 PM   #142
DVD Talk Legend

2 that I remember are Breaking Dawn and Killing Me Softly, there may be others. As long as movies I haven't checked in for don't pop up it doesn't bother me.
Old 12-01-12, 11:53 PM   #143
DVD Talk Hero

I guess you really liked Lincoln.
Old 12-02-12, 03:35 AM   #144

so what's next? $100 credit unlocked or hobbit 3d hfr. lol
Old 12-02-12, 03:50 AM   #145
DVD Talk Special Edition

so there's no more invite?
Old 12-02-12, 06:17 PM   #146
DVD Talk Legend

I got one message me your email address But they're limited so read through and make sure you want it!
Old 12-06-12, 09:48 AM   #147
DVD Talk Legend

Those of you who have it make a habit of pulling it up by theater daily. I found out they offer other movies like Century had A Christmas Story which is a one-time showing. Had no desire to watch that but got my mom a ticket to Anna Karerina to go with me These "special" sign-ins will only appear on that particular day, though. You can also browse through a pc at m.moviepass.com
Old 12-06-12, 03:54 PM   #148

I have some invites please pm me, please look into prior to requesting.
Thanks
Barndoor67

Last edited by barndoor67; 12-06-12 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Error
Old 12-07-12, 11:35 AM   #149
DVD Talk Special Edition

Open signups today, FYI:

www.moviepass.com/654623
Old 12-07-12, 08:57 PM   #150

Who is going to see The Lord of The Rings Marathon tomorrow with this trick?