Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the most you're willing to spend on a new release BD or 4K UHD?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: What's the most you're willing to spend on a new releae BD or 4K UHD?
Under $10 - No movie is worth more than this to me
11.43%
$10-15
8.57%
$15-20
34.29%
$20-25
25.71%
$25 or more (Depends if I really love/like the movie)
20.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-17, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

So what is the most you're willing to spend on a new release BD or 4K UHD?

Wonder Woman just came out this week and sale prices range from $24.99 to $34.99 for BDs, 3D, Steelbooks, and 4K UHD.

Seems like many here are choosing to hold off because it's too expensive.

So are you willing to spend new release prices for a movie you really liked or loved the week it comes out?

Or are just pretty frugal and try to look and wait for the cheapest price possible and hold off several weeks or months?

Do you spend top money on new release catalog titles or do you hold off and hope for a sale?

For me, not counting box sets, on average around $20-25, but only if I really like it. I'll make a few rare exceptions like Wonder Woman, which I did spend $30 for since I loved the movie.

Starship Troopers 20th anniversary edition just came out on 4K UHD for $21 and I picked it up. Didn't have it before and though that was very reasonable. I wouldn't have bought it if it was $25 or more.

I bought John Wick 2 on 4K UHD for $24.99 because I loved that one and it looked and sounded great on the big screen, which would translate well to home 4K.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-22-17 at 01:09 AM.
Old 09-22-17, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: What's the most you're willing to spend on a new release BD or 4K UHD?

I don't do 4K.

Typically it would be $19.99 for a BD, but if it's a Digital HD that gets released a few weeks before then I will opt for that one at $19.99 or less or $19.99 - $24.99 if it's a disc/digital deal on VUDU. I skipped Wonder Woman altogether, because the BD never got under $20 and I have a friend that got a review copy of the 4k edition and he uploaded on our shared VUDU account, so no out of pocket costs there.
Old 09-22-17, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Probably around $15-$17 tops for boutique type labels including Criterions if I really want it, though I just got Sole Survivor (1983) used for $23 otherwise the cheapest on that particular title would be $33 new as I believe it's a Diabolik exclusive title.

Mainstream movies I definitely wait it out as it gets cheap real quick...but I don't even like mainstreams movies that are out these days..so I'm not on the 4K bandwagon yet either. I'll pay around $7-$10 tops for new releases which can be had for around that much after a couple of weeks whether new or used.

Oh Well, This hobby is getting a bit on the stale and passe side for me anyways and I already have most of my wants.
Old 09-22-17, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I don't do 4K, so for most new releases I'll try to wait for $10. My kid is a big Wonder Woman fan, though, so I went ahead and paid the $25 for it, and I'll usually pay $20 for Disney since those are unlikely to get deep discounts any time soon.
Old 09-22-17, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

50 cents
Old 09-22-17, 06:19 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I chose the $15 to $20 range, I paid $22.96 for Doctor Strange because I really wanted it, but felt stupid for paying that much. $25 is too fucking much for a new release. I can understand raising the price after its initial new release run but starting at $25 right out of the gate is a bit much.

Having said that, I have a $50 Target GC coming, from cashing in CC points. I may pick up WW with that. It may be $25 off the shelf but it won't cost me anything this way, although it will still irk that it will cost me half of my GC. If it wasn't for the GC I'd wait until BF, but wouldn't get the slipcover or any of the other goodies inside the case if I waited.

Damned if I do and damned if I don't.

Last edited by kd5; 09-22-17 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-22-17, 07:25 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I haven't bought a new release on the day it comes out in years. I really can't understand why anyone would at these prices. Especially if you saw it in the theatre 3 months ago. During the height of home release days, I look back at how I used to spend $22.99 on new release two disc DVD packages and just feel like a fool about it. I don't do 4K at this time and there's no way I would spend $25 on one movie from a major studio anymore.

Major studio releases: I generally will buy used for $7 or under. If it includes the digital copy I'll spend a little more because I'll sell that. Usually, for the major studios, I'll wait until Black Friday. Those Universal titles currently at $9.99 are tempting though. If a new release does come out that is $15 or under, I will sometimes consider it.

Boutique Labels:
Criterion - $20 (only when I buy directly from them during Flash sales) or less
Shout/Scream Factory/Kino/Olive - around $14 or less... usually the sweet spot is $12> though.

Last edited by dex14; 09-22-17 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-22-17, 08:13 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

$10 is my max on most titles, anything current or typical Hollywood; but up to $19 on certain boutique labels like Criterions and horror from Arrow/Synapse/etc.
Old 09-22-17, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

I only buy 4k discs off Ebay when the seller keeps the BD and Digital and sells the 4k disc for cheap. I wouldn't buy a new title in a store for whatever they sell for these days.
Old 09-22-17, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

$25 for a regular Blu-ray disc and $30 for a UHD BD, although I'd prefer to keep it $5-$7 lower than that, and even that's more for must-have stuff. I'm more willing to wait for price drops than I have been in the past.
Old 09-22-17, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Pretty much won't pay more than $10 for any Blu-ray. I have been going up to $15 or so for 3D and 4K though, but would prefer to wait for $10 on those too.
Old 09-22-17, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

So far I'm still not compelled to get into 4K but over the last 15 years of collecting I think I paid the day-one full-price maybe three times.

These days I just wait and find titles for $4-$5 on the used market. Sometimes it takes months but I'm pretty patient. For certain titles that are somewhat rare that i really want, I don't mind paying $10-$12.

It's disheartening to pay $25 for a title, maybe watch it once and then see it for $5 a few months later. When you multiply this by several titles, it adds-up quickly.

Last edited by orangerunner; 09-22-17 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-22-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I'll generally not go more than $20 on a new release or a catalog title unless it's an A-list title for me. Some exceptions would be Criterion or something like Wonder Woman where I would have spent money to see it in the theater but didn't get a chance.
Old 09-22-17, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I only do Blu-ray and on rare occasions if something I want isn't available on that format I'll buy DVD but it's not often. I don't have a 4K tv or player so no reason to buy those.

I try to stick between $15 and $20 now days for movies I really liked or want to see. I've cut a lot of things though too and try only buying movies I know I want to watch soon after or that I've seen and want to own. I don't blind buy as often as I used to. Buying major studio releases day one does feel foolish now and looking back I've spent a lot when if I had waited I could have saved. I don't feel bad buying stuff from places like Shout/Scream Factory or Warner Archive as they tend to not go on sale so often. Also I tend not to go after exclusive editions now days (exception being the Target DCAU Steelbooks).

Last edited by Mike86; 09-22-17 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-22-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I answered $20-25, but it really depends on a lot of factors. Is it limited? Retailer exclusive? 3D? UHD?

I try to keep most purchases in the $10-15 range, but 3D and UHD go more into the $15-20 range. All that being said, I've spent a lot more on some of the recent store exclusive 3D/UHD combos and also preordered the Suspiria steelbook. Certain boutique labels have prices that almost never go below $20, like Code Red.
Old 09-22-17, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here are my guidelines I typically set for myself.

-Normal Packaging-

TV Seasons (DVD) $15 and under. (Elementary, Community, etc)
TV Seasons (Blu-Ray) $20 and under. (Arrow, Gotham, etc)
TV Seasons 4k $25 and under (I'm guessing here, I haven't actually bought one yet)

Movie (DVD) I don't buy them anymore..period.
Movie (Blu-Ray) Rare, but I typically don't spend more than $10. Only exceptions would be Criterion, Kino, and Twilight Time movies (boutique titles).
Movie (4k) - Between $15 and $20 is my goal.

-Steelbook packaging-

Out the freaking window...I don't really have a limit on these...but if its more than say $35, I'm really questioning myself.
Old 09-22-17, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For a normal blu ray release, under $10. For an exclusive (steelbook, 3D, bonus disc, etc) usually no more than $20 to $25. I'll only break that rule for Marvel, but even cases where something like the GOTG2 steelbook with 4K+3D+BD+DC for $35 really stings.
Old 09-22-17, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I'm waiting on Wonder Woman UHD hitting $15 to $20.
Old 09-22-17, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I chose $20-25 but that's usually for Marvel or DC (live-action) releases. I'm fine with paying that. For any New Releases that don't fall under that umbrella (or aren't limited), I can wait for price drops.
Old 09-22-17, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I won't pay more than $10 and honestly it's rare I pay more than $5. I'm patient in waiting for prices to fall.
Old 09-22-17, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Coming from laserdisc where new movies were usually priced from $35-50, I'll gladly pay $30 for anything I REALLY want and $20 for a new release is just about right. That said though, I've been spoiled by the many $5 discs out there and also don't want to spend a lot on something only to have it drop to that price point by the time I get around to watching it. Lately I've been willing to spend $30 on 3D titles just to show my support for them and hopefully encourage studios to keep putting them out, but 2D 4K doesn't wow me enough to pay a premium price for.

Just feeling thankful that the $80 and up rental pricing for discs never happened- there aren't even enough video rental stores left for money to be made from this anymore!
Old 09-22-17, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't do 4K, so $15 - $20...with a SteelBook or Digibook?
Old 09-22-17, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I won't pay more than $10 and honestly it's rare I pay more than $5. I'm patient in waiting for prices to fall.
Just curious what have you purchased recently that's no more than $5?

All these new studio releases, especially on BD, have never dropped that low. Like the DC or Marvel movies still stay in the high teens for the most part. and you'll never get a Disney movie that low on BD. Unless you're buying these used from Pawn shops or swap meets or something?
Old 09-22-17, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk God

I'd love to get the recent Ronin SE release from Arrow. But $25+ tax is kind of expensive for an almost 20 year old movie. I'm hoping it drops under $20, but that will probably be a long time.

I love getting the Shout special edition titles, but most of them are really over-priced. I will not pay over $20+ for the recent Teen Wolf movies. It's way too expensive to order direct from their website unless they have a really big sale. Usually I try to wait until they drop under $20 at Amazon. The recent Bruce Lee special edition 4K transfers from Shout I managed to get at $15 or less. There are several others I'm interested in, but they are all $20+, some high 20's,
Old 09-22-17, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'd love to get the recent Ronin SE release from Arrow. But $25+ tax is kind of expensive for an almost 20 year old movie. I'm hoping it drops under $20, but that will probably be a long time.

I love getting the Shout special edition titles, but most of them are really over-priced. I will not pay over $20+ for the recent Teen Wolf movies. It's way too expensive to order direct from their website unless they have a really big sale. Usually I try to wait until they drop under $20 at Amazon. The recent Bruce Lee special edition 4K transfers from Shout I managed to get at $15 or less. There are several others I'm interested in, but they are all $20+, some high 20's,

I got mine from the UK -- for about $20 shipped. It's the exact same pressing, contents, and they're both region free, too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.