Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk

HD Talk The place to discuss HD DVD, Blu-ray and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 07-04-17, 11:53 PM   #76
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: The Sinbad Trilogy - Ray Harryhausen - Indicator Films

Golden Voyage is exactly the same as Twilight Times release. Any bit rate difference is likely negligible either way.
Old 07-05-17, 12:03 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
Golden Voyage is exactly the same as Twilight Times release. Any bit rate difference is likely negligible either way.
*sigh* oh well - maybe Sony will release the 4K transfer of "7th Voyage" on UHD stateside (highly unlikely, but hey, I can dream)
Old 07-06-17, 10:35 PM   #78
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got mine sometime today. Away from the house all day so no idea when it actually arrived, nor how it was delivered. Presume it was a package delivery service as there were no postal markings. Left on the porch just three feet from the city sidewalk. Surprised and thankful it was still there when I got back.

I won't be able to watch anything until later tonight or tomorrow, nor do any comparisons to the previous GV and EotT releases until I return to AZ.

Observations:
The box that holds the collection seems to be a bit sturdier than typical U.S. boxsets. Box art print quality is excellent as is the cover art for each movie. The box art is rather colorful, but doesn't do much for me personally and focuses solely on Golden Voyage. It would have been nice had they done something original that incorporated elements from all three movies. The individual disc cases are the type with two spindles on one side of the case so that the discs overlap. They also appear a bit sturdier and more flexible than typical cases. Artwork is double-sided so you can flip them around for a different cover.

Although the included booklet is also very well printed, unsurprisingly, from a quick skim of the contents, it doesn't really offer much... outside of somewhat gossipy comments (mostly about Schneer) by Kenneth Kolb, screenwriter for 7th Voyage and treatment writer of the proposed CS/RH Sinbad Goes to Mars. Ray's Fantasy Scrapbook, has much more in depth info about the movies.

The band around the box slides on and off easily, yet stays in place, and is numbered. Mine is 2591 of 6000.
Old 07-11-17, 07:22 PM   #79
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bit of a follow up here.

Got an email inquiry from John at powerHouse asking if I had received my order. I answered yes, thanked him for following up on my concerns about delivery, and mentioned I was looking forward to the additional Harryhausen releases he mentioned in his original email.

He replied that there would be a press release tomorrow about their September releases... which will include more Harryhausen stuff.

2 to John and powerHouse for great customer service.
Old 07-11-17, 08:43 PM   #80
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Got my set from Amazon UK today and it's beautiful. Was going to thank Aaron for the encouragement but he's banned?
Old 07-13-17, 03:21 PM   #81

fyi - I started another thread for the new Indicator Harryhausen box sets.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/640...-box-sets.html
Old 07-13-17, 03:49 PM   #82
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Got my set from Amazon UK today and it's beautiful. Was going to thank Aaron for the encouragement but he's banned?
Apparently there was some kind of dust-up in the UHD thread but I missed it.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 07-13-17, 10:02 PM   #83
DVD Talk Special Edition

I received mine yesterday, and I lucked out...a couple floaters with light scratches were the dvds, not the blus like I feared. The box had no damage, and I decided to watch The 7th Voyage, wow...wonderful film and it looked stunning. Speaking of stunning, if I was alive back then I would have been crushing on Kathryn Grant (Princess Parisa) something fierce. Kind of surprised they got away with dressing her in an outfit that showed a bit of her midriff and evidence she was well endowed. After all, this was the 50s.
Old 07-13-17, 11:08 PM   #84
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The future Mrs Bing Crosby was a real babe for sure. One of my favorite movie princesses.

I glanced at all the discs the other night.

I gotta be honest and say that EotT definitely has an electronic edge to me. It's also got a lot of print damage visible that I didn't recall on the TT release. However I think most people watching on smaller screens will likely have no problem with it, and probably think it is the PQ equal of the first film, as it is bright, sharp, and colorful.
Golden Voyage's PQ was a bit of a disappointment to me. I expected great things from it as the DVD back in the day I thought looked sensational. This looked a little drab, a little soft and worn...just not all that impressive. I never cracked the shrinkwrap on my TT before I sold it so I can't compare the two.

As Inhumans and others have said, the original looks sensational.

all in all, no regrets buying the set. $50 shipped is a more than fair price for the package, flaws and all.
Old 07-15-17, 03:59 PM   #85

got my set today. One floater - but it was the DVD, not the BD so I could care less if it has a scratch. the package is VERY nice, but as other have said the booklet is nothing to get real excited about. Haven't had a chance to view them yet...
Old 07-16-17, 04:12 PM   #86

got a chance to check these out on my 70" TV. while the 1st film is fine, the other two are poor to me! there is a lot of grain/print damage that it looks like a wall of sand is in front of some scenes. While this isn't too bad for day scenes, the nighttime scenes are painful for me to look at. These movies are noticeably darker and grainier than my US DVD versions.for BD, some scenes are very soft. I did a scene by scene compare (for about 10 scenes in each movie) to my US discs. In each case, I had to double check I was playing the BD version and not the UK DVD version!

I am disappointed in this set. While the US DVDs don't have the resolution, they are brighter and cleaner than the UK versions and are more pleasing to the eye.

(again, the 1st film is fine. I am talking about the other 2, the 3rd being the worst PQ imho).

Even the menus are boring...it would have been nice to see at least some pictures (static or animated) of some of the creatures in the menu pages. Very unimaginative use of the technology.

I am actually thinking of returning this set and keeping my DVDs...(I probably won't, but am pretty bummed out)...will watch them again on my 120" front projection system and see how pleasing vs. painful these films look.

Will definitely wait out future sets from these guys until full reviews of all the films are in.

buyer beware.

Last edited by cinemaman; 07-16-17 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-16-17, 10:16 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemaman View Post
got a chance to check these out on my 70" TV. while the 1st film is fine, the other two are poor to me! there is a lot of grain/print damage that it looks like a wall of sand is in front of some scenes. While this isn't too bad for day scenes, the nighttime scenes are painful for me to look at. These movies are noticeably darker and grainier than my US DVD versions.for BD, some scenes are very soft. I did a scene by scene compare (for about 10 scenes in each movie) to my US discs. In each case, I had to double check I was playing the BD version and not the UK DVD version!

I am disappointed in this set. While the US DVDs don't have the resolution, they are brighter and cleaner than the UK versions and are more pleasing to the eye.

(again, the 1st film is fine. I am talking about the other 2, the 3rd being the worst PQ imho).

Even the menus are boring...it would have been nice to see at least some pictures (static or animated) of some of the creatures in the menu pages. Very unimaginative use of the technology.

I am actually thinking of returning this set and keeping my DVDs...(I probably won't, but am pretty bummed out)...will watch them again on my 120" front projection system and see how pleasing vs. painful these films look.

Will definitely wait out future sets from these guys until full reviews of all the films are in.

buyer beware.
Obviously you're not a Harryhausen fan or you would have had the other BD Columbia issues and TT issues.

HT consists of Epson 3D/4K 6040 UB PJ (ISFed); 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Samsung 3D/4K K8500 Player; Definitive Speakers(center/towers/rear); Earthquake P12 Sub; Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; MX990 remote; 5 Bello seats; Coaire Mini-split A/C.
Old 07-16-17, 10:44 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks View Post
Obviously you're not a Harryhausen fan or you would have had the other BD Columbia issues and TT issues.
ouch! I am a fan..Just didn't get around to upgrading to BD yet... I was hoping these versions would be superior to what was available...and I heard great things about Indicator.

I did watch some of the sequels on my 120" screen. Oddly they looked a little better (probably because I am sitting farther back), but still dark and grainy to me. The daylight scenes are great - it is just the nighttime scenes that are problematic.

Guess these are the best we will get...
Old 07-17-17, 02:46 AM   #89

Yeah, unless we own a pristine 35mm copy...congrats on owning the box set!

HT consists of Epson 3D/4K 6040 UB PJ (ISFed); 110" 16x9 Dalite HD Progressive Screen; Samsung 3D/4K K8500 Player; Definitive Speakers(center/towers/rear); Earthquake P12 Sub; Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; MX990 remote; 5 Bello seats; Coaire Mini-split A/C.
Old 07-17-17, 07:30 AM   #90

sparks - did you actually meet Ray? Your picture is too small for me to make out... that is awesome if you did!

What amazes me is that this is the third time Ray's classic films (and I do consider them classics) have been put out on BD and we still don't have pristine/clean high-rez versions of these films.. I do not have insight into the difficulties these companies have in remastering these movies for blu-ray.. I am just frustrated on not having a pq that I would consider 'excellent.' What also surprises me is that the 1st film, which is the oldest, looks the best. But we have what we have...
Old 07-17-17, 09:02 AM   #91

does anybody have the madman/via vision Australian region-free BD of these films? DVDBeaver gave them high marks - didn't know about these until I contacted Gary Tooze over at DVDbeaver. His screen caps look a lot better to me than the indicator set.

?

Last edited by cinemaman; 07-17-17 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-17-17, 09:38 AM   #92
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
does anybody have the madman/via vision Australian region-free BD of these films? DVDBeaver gave them high marks - didn't know about these until I contacted Gary Tooze over at DVDbeaver. His screen caps look a lot better to me than the indicator set.

?
I have the region free Australian of both GOLDEN VOYAGE and EYE OF TIGER. A friend who bought the Twilight Times says they look the same. I think they look average for BD. Not knock your socks off like FIRST MEN IN MOON but not a disappointment either. They cost me about $18 each from Amazon. Sold by Amazon. There's also an Australian region free set of all three Sinbads.

I didn't think the U.S. BD of 7TH VOYAGE from Columbia was a knockout either. It may have something to do with all the special process shots.
Old 07-17-17, 10:05 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
I have the region free Australian of both GOLDEN VOYAGE and EYE OF TIGER. A friend who bought the Twilight Times says they look the same. I think they look average for BD. Not knock your socks off like FIRST MEN IN MOON but not a disappointment either. They cost me about $18 each from Amazon. Sold by Amazon. There's also an Australian region free set of all three Sinbads.

I didn't think the U.S. BD of 7TH VOYAGE from Columbia was a knockout either. It may have something to do with all the special process shots.
What I am getting from all of this, is that if you already have a BD version of these films, getting the Indicator box set may not be worth it.

I only have DVDs, so this is my first BD purchase...
Old 07-17-17, 10:17 AM   #94
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
What I am getting from all of this, is that if you already have a BD version of these films, getting the Indicator box set may not be worth it.

I only have DVDs, so this is my first BD purchase...
If you don't have any of them on BD, and just want the movies, the best bet is the Australian region free set FANTASTIC FILMS OF RAY HARRYHAUSEN. It has all three Sinbads plus Jason And Argonauts. $40 at Amazon US, 30 pounds at Amazon UK.
Old 07-17-17, 07:09 PM   #95

Quote:
sparks - did you actually meet Ray? Your picture is too small for me to make out... that is awesome if you did!

What amazes me is that this is the third time Ray's classic films (and I do consider them classics) have been put out on BD and we still don't have pristine/clean high-rez versions of these films.. I do not have insight into the difficulties these companies have in remastering these movies for blu-ray.. I am just frustrated on not having a pq that I would consider 'excellent.' What also surprises me is that the 1st film, which is the oldest, looks the best. But we have what we have...
Cinemaman,

Yes, that's him and I in my den in Placentia, CA. He was at Monsters in Motion in 2004 signing his newest book. When he was done, I asked his agent if they would like to stop by my home, which was 10 minutes away and see my den, which was dedicated to Ray. All his original movie posters, statues, pressbooks, etc.

They did and that's the pic. What's crazy was, I gave him 3 cameras to take a pic from each one. The first two were empty and the last had one pic left...hence my avatar.

Old 07-17-17, 07:31 PM   #96
DVD Talk Hero

I attended a Harryhausen talk a number of years ago--probably around the same time--though I didn't get a picture. He brought a few of his models, which was very cool.
Challenges: Action 2017 | Academy Award 2017 | TV on DVD* 2017 | Holiday 2016 | Comedy 2016 | Horror 2016 | Criterion 2016 | Animation 2016 | Sci-Fi 2016 | Historical 2016 | Make-Your-Own 2016 | Drive-In 2016 | Leap Day 2016
Old 07-18-17, 12:34 PM   #97
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I attended a Harryhausen talk a number of years ago--probably around the same time--though I didn't get a picture. He brought a few of his models, which was very cool.
Same here. The trouble is, I can't remember what convention I was at. A SD ComiCon most likely as I've attended more of those than anything else. There were so few people in the audience, I tend to think it probably wasn't there. Got to sit in the front row just a couple of feet from the stage and practically looking up Ray's nose.

There was an autograph session afterwards and we got a really upclose look at all the puppets. Ray was very gracious signing stuff. I had a first edition of his Film Fantasy Scrapbook that my GF (now wife) had bought me as a Christmas gift and had inscribed to me. Ray looked at it and said he didn't think he could add anything to it. Had to convince him it was okay to sign my book.