Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you decide which Bluray to watch?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: How do you decide which Bluray to watch?
start with new releases
3.03%
start with older cult or classic movie
3.03%
start with comfort movie
3.03%
start with rental (Netflix, Red Box, etc.) movie
6.06%
start with something just got in mail (which may include above)
0%
whatever I'm in the mood for
63.64%
Other, please specify...
15.15%
What are you high?
6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

How do you decide which Bluray to watch?

Old 06-06-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts
Re: How do you decide which Bluray to watch?

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
As I get older, I find that I fall asleep a lot while watching movies. So, the length of the movie plays a lot into my decision. 90 min? OK. 2:40? Probably won't make it!
Thank you. As an old, old man the same thing happens to me. Trust me, it only gets worse. And, Kids, it makes no difference how good or bad the movie is. Sometimes I'll blink out for just a minute or two and I have to find where I left off. Generally, if I'm going to seriously watch a film I have to start much earlier in the evening than I used to, and save the extra stuff for later on, since it won't matter if I nod off.

As a kid, I never understood how my late father could fall asleep about 20 minutes into all these exciting movies we were watching. What was wrong with him? Now I get it.
Old 06-06-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Everybody has their own little idiosyncrasies. I never unwrap my discs until I decide to watch them (long story!).
I do that too. The problem for me is that I find myself reluctant to open them fearing they may be worth a fortune as out-of-print titles if left as brand new.

I'm sure there are many Disney VHS titles that are still sitting in closets across America for that very same reason.
Old 06-06-17, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I spend about 15 minutes perusing my collection....eventually, I pick Big Lebowski....again.
Well that is ALWAYS a good choice.
Old 06-07-17, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

I have a intricate process that involves the alignment of the stars, intensive counseling from my guru, my belief that the holocaust never happened and how much alcohol I have consumed.
Old 06-07-17, 06:37 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 370 Likes on 251 Posts

Everybody has their own little idiosyncrasies. I never unwrap my discs until I decide to watch them (long story!).
I won't unwrap some of mine for a few days in hopes of finding it cheaper elsewhere, but I won't leave it unwrapped beyond those few days, if there's anything wrong with the contents/disc inside the case, I want to be able to return it for an exchange. Plus, I just get itchy fingers...
Old 06-07-17, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I do that too. The problem for me is that I find myself reluctant to open them fearing they may be worth a fortune as out-of-print titles if left as brand new.

I'm sure there are many Disney VHS titles that are still sitting in closets across America for that very same reason.
That's certainly part of it, and I have an unwrapped "Little Mermaid" VHS and a few other things that I should probably have sold, as well as a buttload of unwrapped DVDS.

I've only gotten burned once, so far. My 2-disc copy (with sleeve) of "Iron Man2" (maybe that was the "burn" right there) only had the feature disc. However, by the time I got around to watching it, the 2 hours of extras on the second disc had been posted to YouTube. Of course, I do watch message boards and other sources for glitches other people have found, and replacement situations, as happens with every third Shout! bluray.
Old 09-12-17, 06:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

i wanted to revisit this because i have been having a hell of a time deciding what to watch lately. i keep putting one disc in and then swapping it out, etc... it is becoming a pain not being able to pick what to watch. can't focus and just watch. don't know what that's about. i have The Mummy (2017) in now and set to go (as i'm interested), but who knows...
Old 09-12-17, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 129 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i wanted to revisit this because i have been having a hell of a time deciding what to watch lately. i keep putting one disc in and then swapping it out, etc... it is becoming a pain not being able to pick what to watch. can't focus and just watch. don't know what that's about. i have The Mummy (2017) in now and set to go (as i'm interested), but who knows...
It's probably true what they say about the modern human attention span shrinking quickly because of technology. Anything more than a five minute youtube video is becoming challenging for a lot of people.
Old 09-12-17, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

For starters, turn off your phone, PC, laptop, IPad and all other devices. Get rid of the distractions at least for a few hours.

If you have a stockpile of unwatched content and keep loading up, you're never going to be decisive enough to choose something. I think you're going to constantly be indecisive with so much and thinking about running times syncing up with having other things to do, needing sleep for work.

My advice, focus on a group or stack of unwatched content and stick with it. Don't 2nd guess it. If it's a serial killer, cops, science fiction block, stick with it. Don't think, no I think I'm in the mood for You've got Mail or The Breakfast Club. Or focus on a certain genre for your free days.

Honestly, I think if it's becoming a chore to try to watch something and you are constantly distracted, it may be time to re-evaluate things. You shouldn't have to force yourself to watch a movie if you really thought you loved it enough to purchase it in the 1st place. No matter how long it is.

I know It does suck with so much content and distractions out there with so little extended free time. But watching a movie should be like the old days when you either go to the theater or go to the video store on a Friday or Saturday night and chill. Not thinking....OMG, I'm not sure I can watch this 180 minute movie with 3 hours of extras and I have 10 more I just bought last week.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-12-17 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-13-17, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Narrow the focus down before picking a movie. I've found it's much easier picking something out when I first narrow the possibilities down to a certain genre. I've also gone with letters of the alpabet.
Old 05-27-21, 09:19 PM

What if you don’t know what you’re in the mood for? Sometimes it gives me anxiety. Actual anxiety.
Old 05-28-21, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm glad it's not just me. I've accumulated an good number of excellent (and probably some not so excellent) discs and I generally save them for the weekend. It can take me an hour to decide what to watch sometimes. Note: I try to watch all of a disc on the same day (movie and any supplements, so that's a factor). I need a system, but I'm slow to do that. Right now I'm not entirely sure what I'm watching tonight, -or the rest of the weekend, -though I have candidates in mind.
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (05-28-21)
Old 05-28-21, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Old Boy trying to figure out what of the ten thousand movies he owns to watch

Old 05-28-21, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts

Go online and look up what actors or directors have died recently. Then pick a movie they made that you already own.
Old 05-28-21, 12:26 PM

I'm glad it's not just me. I've accumulated an good number of excellent (and probably some not so excellent) discs and I generally save them for the weekend. It can take me an hour to decide what to watch sometimes. Note: I try to watch all of a disc on the same day (movie and any supplements, so that's a factor). I need a system, but I'm slow to do that. Right now I'm not entirely sure what I'm watching tonight, -or the rest of the weekend, -though I have candidates in mind.
it's like i keep adding to my queue piles which i have 2 that sit right under tv. i rotate them. some i take away, others i put there. none of those you see in pic will get watched. i have 4 days off to basically chill and do nothing. weather supposed to be shitty anyway. and i doubt, i will see any of those anytime soon...and i want to. really i do...

Old 05-28-21, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Old Boy trying to figure out what of the ten thousand movies he owns to watch

i'm not really expressive like that and pretty chill most of the time, but i guess if i were to picture it. that would do the trick...of course Scanners heading blowing up scene would be a little more apropos for me...
Old 05-28-21, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Similar to my answer about video games, I tend to prioritize shorter movies. (My as-yet-unwatched stack is actually sorted from shortest to longest.) The idea being that if I'm trying to whittle down a backlog, the quickest way is to get the shortest movies out of the way first.

But sometimes that'll work the other way. If I have an afternoon/evening to myself, sometimes I'll take advantage of that runway and grab the longest movie in the stack. Regardless, length is frequently a top consideration.
Old 05-28-21, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Long movies are always the hardest. I still haven't watched all of the Godfather movies yet- I started the first one once on laserdisc but fell asleep during side 1 so figured that wasn't a good time for it.
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (09-26-21)
Old 05-28-21, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Long movies are always the hardest. I still haven't watched all of the Godfather movies yet- I started the first one once on laserdisc but fell asleep during side 1 so figured that wasn't a good time for it.
I still have the 7 hour HBO cut from over 6 years ago on my dvr. Haven’t even begun to tackle that one.
Old 05-28-21, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

I keep track of which discs I have and haven't watched. While I do revisit stuff when the mood strikes, I tend to choose from my unwatched pile. Lately I've been rotating through various categories. For example, I have decent sized backlogs of Twilight Time, Warner Archive and Criterion discs. I don't have a strict order, but every 10 or so movies I watch I make sure I watch one from each of those labels. Lately I've also been rotating in a martial arts title, a Woody Allen title, and something from an unfinished box set. If my wife is away for a night and I have access to the big tv, I grab an unwatched 4k. Like I said, it's not formalized in any way, but if like 2 weeks go by and I haven't watched a Warner Archive title, I know I need to pull something from that pile. And so on and so forth.
Old 05-30-21, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,797 Likes on 1,209 Posts

This is the reason why I canceled Netflix, too many choices can paralyze a person. Oldboy, here's what you do. Pick the first movie off the top of the stack, put it in the GD player, and watch it. If you bought it it means you want to see it, so there should be no reason not to watch it. Don't quibble about what mood you're in, just put the damn movie in the player and watch it. Go from the top of the stack to the bottom.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kurt D:
JANK (05-31-21), Why So Blu? (05-30-21)
Old 05-31-21, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Remember when I started buying laserdiscs, I watched them in the order I bought them. This was when they were expensive though so I rarely bought more than 1 at a time. Getting a huge haul of cutouts from Camelot Music was a challenge though. I finally stopped with that before DVD came out- now I just open them to make sure everything’s right inside and watch it whenever.
Old 05-31-21, 07:43 PM

I might just have a problem. I started and stopped like 5-6 movies or shows in a 30 minute span. Just can’t stick. Big Shot has my attention now, thankfully.
Old 06-01-21, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Remember when I started buying laserdiscs, I watched them in the order I bought them. This was when they were expensive though so I rarely bought more than 1 at a time. Getting a huge haul of cutouts from Camelot Music was a challenge though. I finally stopped with that before DVD came out- now I just open them to make sure everything’s right inside and watch it whenever.
I followed a similar path, -laserdiscs (I recall the Camelot Sunday morning sales), DVDs, blu-rays). However, with blu-rays I don't even open them until I'm ready to watch them (with discs and DVDs I'd burn myself out on "previewing" them). So far it's only burned me once, but there's probably some hinky disc in my pile that's just waiting for me.
Old 06-01-21, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

The mood

I won't watch most of my favorites in the Summer because of the heat and save them for the Winter and Spring.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.