Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story -- April 4, 2017

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story -- April 4, 2017

Old 04-08-17, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story -- April 4, 2017

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Sorry but if you are a marvel fanboy, I have to laugh at you for talking down to SW fans. Comic Book movies are the death of the summer blockbuster as 99% of them are the same shit that have no substance compared to blockbusters 30 years ago like Jaws, Star Wars, Back to the Future, etc.
I'd say I'm a fanboy in the sense that none of the Marvel films have pissed me off (the way RotJ did back in the day). Even the ones that have been slightly disappointing to me, have still been entertaining in a rainy day time killer way.

as for the rest- I'll defer for now as I have a bad tendency to pontificate when trying to lay out my lines of thought.

I will say that I'm not a Giancchino fan (I am a big fan of Desplat though).
But I thought MG's score worked fine in this film. He had a thankless job and I thought he did that job well. No, it's not particularly memorable the way Williams scores usually are- but it underscored the films events well enough to me and didn't try to show off with a lot of obnoxious "Look at me! I can be iconic too!" flourishes. It was restrained- which, as a artist who toils in another medium, is a quality I can appreciate.

As far as how people will view it in 20 years...who knows.
I think it will be interesting to see how people view it in just a year from now after Last Jedi is a known quantity.
Old 04-09-17, 04:46 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Apparently, Disney handed Amazon a big Fuck You as far as sending them stock, and now Amazon has jacked their price up to $22.96 even though they STILL don't have any in stock. Amazon lost out this round, they could've made some money with this, instead they pissed it away feuding with Disney, and screwed Prime members, regular customers, and themselves in the process. I can certainly understand Amazon wanting to get the best price for products, but at what point does thumbing their nose at Disney become a liability?
Old 04-09-17, 08:34 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Well Amazon is largely becoming the biggest store in the world. Comparatively not a whole lot of competition anymore. I think it's mostly ego at this point where Amazon thinks they'll win this pissing match with Disney.
Old 04-09-17, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1) If they were still primarily a seller of media, the loss of revenue from a title like this *might* move the needle a hair. But at this point they are diversified enough that 4 or so episodes like this a year won't make much of a difference

especially because

2) what they are really missing out on are the heavily discounted, first (few) week(s) of loss leader type sales. They may be driving traffic to B&Ms to pick these handful of titles up a year, but the B&Ms have these discounted enough that they aren't really making all that much either. I suspect that's one reason for the noticeably weaker discounts now on things like B&M exclusive steelbooks- as well as the increase in retailer exclusives in general.

of course, I could be wrong.
Old 04-10-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

After my first viewing, I was surprised at how much I liked this one. I definitely liked it more than TFA, especially when comparing reactions after the first viewing. I've warmed toward TFA some since my first viewing but was very unimpressed the first time I saw it. One thing I liked a lot about this one is how it had nods to the original without feeling like it was completely aping it.

I thought the 3D presentation was pretty good, too. The 3D wasn't necessarily really strong, but I found it more effective than TFA.
Old 04-10-17, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If Amazon isn't getting what they think is a fair chunk from sales of the movie, they don't give a fuck where people buy it from. So at the end of the day, Disney is losing more than Amazon in a situation like this.
Old 04-10-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
After my first viewing, I was surprised at how much I liked this one. I definitely liked it more than TFA, especially when comparing reactions after the first viewing. I've warmed toward TFA some since my first viewing but was very unimpressed the first time I saw it. One thing I liked a lot about this one is how it had nods to the original without feeling like it was completely aping it.

I thought the 3D presentation was pretty good, too. The 3D wasn't necessarily really strong, but I found it more effective than TFA.
See I thought the 3D was better in TFA but it may just have had more scenes that lended itself to the format.
Old 04-10-17, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

Great movie (first time seeing it)

Target package is sweet, but the featurettes (on the bonus disc) should of been better and the bonus DVD wasn't necessary (and could easily been on the bonus BR)

Would of loved a commentary.
Old 04-10-17, 08:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

They are probably saving commentary for another edition. I wouldn't be surprised...
Old 04-10-17, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got the regular version from Target, delivered today. I saw it twice in the theaters. For me, I rank it number 3 after Star Wars and Empire.
Old 04-13-17, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
They are probably saving commentary for another edition. I wouldn't be surprised...
Doubtful. I don't know that Gareth Edwards really wants to give commentary on a movie that got taken from him and changed.
Old 04-13-17, 09:16 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
See I thought the 3D was better in TFA but it may just have had more scenes that lended itself to the format.
Yeah, I gotta agree. The 3D presentation of "The Force Awakens" was pretty dramatic--it kinda rendered the 2D version unwatchable for me--it's such a roller coaster ride. The negative comments I've read about the Best Buy steelbook of "Rogue One" surprised the hell out of me--I think it is gorgeous--so glad I grabbed a copy.
Old 04-13-17, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Doubtful. I don't know that Gareth Edwards really wants to give commentary on a movie that got taken from him and changed.
I don't think it's that bad - I've seen comments to the effect that they initially wanted
Spoiler:
everyone to die, but weren't sure if Disney would agree. Once Disney gave the okay, that led to many of the changes
Old 04-13-17, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was very happy with the way it ended and one and done is more than fine with me here.

I had the thought as I was watching it during the first act that this material would have bee ripe for a 10 part/10 hour miniseries like a single GoT season. That would have given room for some of the characters to be expanded upon, which I realize is a grip a lot of people have,

But now, I think that would have just been needless padding. I think the film is complete as is, and I personally didn't need hours to tell me more about these characters. I was given enough information in the film that I can actually use my imagination to supply the rest.

However I do think it would behoove LFL to realize that we don't need to endlessly resurrect characters and situations from the OT. This was apparently a galaxy-wide war. There would have been a hell of a lot of side conflicts and battles on other fronts going on adjacent to what was going down to the main OT characters. Just like WWII wasn't one big battle, you could almost endlessly make "men on a mission" films that share the OT iconography of ships and costumes and the general vibe.

I would much rather see something iike that than slog through Han Solo Begins or the Rise Of Boba Fett.
Old 05-07-17, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So there's an alternate cut of this which will never see the light of day? I had t even heard about it.
Old 05-08-17, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
So there's an alternate cut of this which will never see the light of day? I had t even heard about it.
There's been a lot of chatter about it.

If you noticed the trailers, there's a ton of footage that never showed up in the final film.

Couple things: when production started, the director wasn't sure if Disney would allow them to
Spoiler:
kill off everybody
, so it was filmed with the option to go either way.

Also, the transmission tower was initially in a different location than the data storage tower, that's why there's footage of Jyn running across the beach with the hard drive case.

Saw Gerrera may have had more to do with the overall story. Jyn's mom was originally a Jedi-in-hiding. They weren't sure if the Tarkin CGI would work well enough, so there was more Vader on the Death Star footage. The final scene with Vader in the hallway was added extremely late (like so late that most of the cast were surprised to see it when they saw the final movie). The footage with Jyn in the prison cell and on the prisoner transport truck was also added in re-shoots.

So, they had a good idea for a movie, but it just took some extra work to get it into shape.
Old 04-15-20, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,171 Likes on 4,201 Posts

IGN has released a live Q&A commentary with the writers of Rogue One that you can synch up with the movie

The following users liked this post:
story (04-16-20)
Old 04-16-20, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, very cool. I'll have to do that this weekend.
Old 04-16-20, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

How it a LIVE Q&A if it's prerecorded for you to sync up?
Old 04-16-20, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,171 Likes on 4,201 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
How it a LIVE Q&A if it's prerecorded for you to sync up?
It WAS a live Q&A. Now it's just a You Tube commentary video.