Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

CES 2017: The future belongs to 8k with new hdmi specification

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-17, 04:40 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

4 JAN 2017

CES 2017: THE FUTURE BELONGS TO 8K WITH NEW HDMI SPECIFICATION

So many Ks.

BY SETH G. MACY Forget 4K, that's so 2016. The resolution of the world of tomorrow is 8K, and thanks to a new HDMI specification, it will be beaming into your eyeballs sooner than you might have expected.

The HDMI Forum, the people in charge of HDMI, announced version 2.1 of the HDMI specification. The 2.1 version supports 8K resolution at 60Hz, as well as 4K at 120Hz.

Also included in the new specification is Dynamic HDR, and a new cable supporting uncompressed HDR 8K video data transfer at a staggering 48Gbps. The new cables are also backwards-compatible with earlier HDMI specifications, and work with existing HDMI devices. That means you don't need to toss your TV into a fire just yet!

The 8K resolution, which is 7680x4320 pixels (as opposed to the usual 1920x1080 found in most HD displays), is the top of the heap when it comes to ultra-high definition resolutions. However, there's a good chance we could see even higher resolutions in the future, as scientists believe there are an infinite amount of numbers greater than 8.

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is filmed on a RED 8K professional digital camera, so big-name content is already on its way to greet our new 8K overlords.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/...47d20270000019
Old 01-04-17, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Re: CES 2017: The future belongs to 8k with new hdmi specification

HDMI 2.1 supports 10K as well.

Obligatory "just because higher resolutions are supported doesn't mean the death knell of 4K will be ringing any time soon" disclaimer.
Old 01-04-17, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Time to junk those 4K TVs! Just PM me and maybe I'll be nice to take a couple off your hands.
Old 01-04-17, 08:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Also announced at CES - Sony, and Panasonic will be entering the OLED market. Samsung is going with the quantum dot stuff. Sony's 2017 models will have both HDR and Dolby Vision.
Old 01-04-17, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh for f@&k's sake. This is why I don't give a shit about 4K.

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Also announced at CES - Sony, and Panasonic will be entering the OLED market.
At least Panasonic is making TVs again.
Old 01-04-17, 08:17 PM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I wonder if they'll ever make the last thing. Okay, wondering over, because no, they won't.
Old 01-04-17, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I'm guessing that 8k is just upselling.

I'd wager that most tvs sold are 55" or less, and the average person is not going to see any benefit of anything over 1080p in their living rooms, sitting ten feet away from their screen.
Old 01-04-17, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Dynamic High Dynamic Range?
Old 01-04-17, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Dynamic High Dynamic Range?
I'll wait for the next iteration, Ultra Dynamic Super HDR. That will be the one to get.

This is how you turn consumers off - keep changing standards and formats and leave people feeling bad about the money they already spent.

480p to 1080p so quickly... from DVD to BD. Then 4k TVs comes out, and soon people realize they don't have HDR... and they're still selling 4K TVs without HDR (or limited HDR) - pissing off even more people. Now 8k is coming and yet another new format will be released with yet another iteration of HDR?

More reason to avoid physical formats.

I realised a couple weeks ago that I officially don't know a single person who buys physical formats anymore. The last of the holdouts caved in.

Streaming is king. The more standards that change and formats that are released - the more people will run to streaming.

RIP physical formats.
Old 01-04-17, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Coral
480p to 1080p so quickly...
To be fair, nearly a decade passed between the launches of DVD and Blu-ray.

HDR is a mess for sure, but at least UHD BD does mandate that every disc support HDR10, so as long as you have a set that supports that as well, you're guaranteed to be covered.

Now 8k is coming
I wouldn't fret about 8K. If there's ever a physical 8K format -- and I very much doubt there will be, at least not in the sense of DVD/BD/UHD BD -- it won't be any time soon. HDTV was on people's lips nearly forty years ago, and look how long it took that to become a commercial reality. Plus...y'know, diminishing returns and all that. I have zero doubt that 8K displays will arrive sooner rather than later, but meaningful content support is far, far off on the horizon, if it ever comes.

Streaming is king. The more standards that change and formats that are released - the more people will run to streaming.
Streaming, which started supporting 4K before UHD BD (though not at the same level of quality)? Or these services with their own HDR issues (Vudu limited to Dolby Vision, for instance)? The likelihood that to watch everything you want, you may have to subscribe to many different streaming services, and even then there'll still be gaps where the TV shows/movies you want to watch aren't available?

By no stretch of the imagination am I saying that optical media is the One True Way, but streaming services are awfully messy in their own right.
Old 01-04-17, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
To be fair, nearly a decade passed between the launches of DVD and Blu-ray.
That's really not a long time. You have to remember, a good chunk of people jumped on DVD 3-5 years in, so to them BD was released way too soon.

The likelihood that to watch everything you want, you may have to subscribe to many different streaming services, and even then there'll still be gaps where the TV shows/movies you want to watch aren't available?

By no stretch of the imagination am I saying that optical media is the One True Way, but streaming services are awfully messy in their own right.
Most people aren't going to buy a movie/show on a physical format just to watch it one time because it's not available on the streaming service. They'll either download it illegally or just wait for a streaming service to offer it and watch many of the other content that's available. If this were such a big issue, then DVD sales wouldn't be declining and BD would've taken off.

People are aware of the limitations of streaming, but it offers enough key advantages to eclipse the downsides. I even have to admit that the idea of going to a store to buy a movie/show (or ordering online) seems pretty archaic to me nowadays. I found out last week that my 77 year old uncle was set up with Netflix a while back - and he doesn't speak fluid English and isn't very tech savvy. Even to him, buying a movie/show feels so old-fashioned now.
Old 01-05-17, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

480p to 1080p so quickly... from DVD to BD. Then 4k TVs comes out, and soon people realize they don't have HDR... and they're still selling 4K TVs without HDR (or limited HDR) - pissing off even more people. Now 8k is coming and yet another new format will be released with yet another iteration of HDR?
1080p, 4K, 8K, HDR... these things are meaningless to 99% of the population. Unless you're a hardcore tome theater nerd, you'll have no idea what HDR is.

Most people out there are running their HDTVs in torch mode with the soap opera effect on.
Old 01-05-17, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Doesn't old school film max out at around 4K? Wouldn't Lawrence of Arabia in 8K have the quality of setting a tv to zoom?
Old 01-05-17, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

That's really not a long time. You have to remember, a good chunk of people jumped on DVD 3-5 years in, so to them BD was released way too soon.
1080p sets were on the market before Blu-ray. 4K sets were on the market before UHD BD. There were competing HDR standards before UHD BD was around. I might be misinterpreting, but it sounds like you're blaming optical media formats for these shifts (higher resolution displays, competing standards, etc.) and point to streaming as a way to get away from that, but that's not true at all.
Old 01-05-17, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
1080p sets were on the market before Blu-ray. 4K sets were on the market before UHD BD. There were competing HDR standards before UHD BD was around. I might be misinterpreting, but it sounds like you're blaming optical media formats for these shifts (higher resolution displays, competing standards, etc.) and point to streaming as a way to get away from that, but that's not true at all.
I'm not putting the blame solely on physical media - I also blame the hardware manufacturers as well. Too many standards and formats have changed so quickly that it's turning many people off.

Other than the obvious advantages of streaming, it also allows people to just avoid the whole issue of being stuck with a short-term format - and doesn't force people to jump on the latest hardware. They can also just stick with their 1080p TVs for a while longer because 720p/1080p is the max. the majority of streaming content is offered in. It just allows people to put the brakes on things.

In any case, I forgot which thread I was in - discussion of streaming and the decline of physical media should be done in the other thread.
Old 01-05-17, 09:05 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Doesn't old school film max out at around 4K? Wouldn't Lawrence of Arabia in 8K have the quality of setting a tv to zoom?
What I see a lot of people say is that 35mm film is "about" 4K and 70mm film is "about" 8K. But it's not that simple because film doesn't have resolution in the same way a digital image does. I'm willing to believe that a 35mm (or hell, even a 16mm) film could benefit from an 8K scan instead of a 2K or 4K scan, although I don't have any proof that that's the case. You'd have to see side-by-side comparisons done using the same print, I imagine.
Old 01-05-17, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Don't give a shit about 8K, but I'm happy to see more manufacturers entering the OLED market. I was really disappointed in the Sony 70" LED panel I tried a couple years back and returned it so I won't bother with their certain to be overpriced model, but I'll definitely be interested to see what Panasonic does.
Old 01-05-17, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Don't give a shit about 8K
One thing does excite me about the prospect of 8K which is that 8K is pretty close to the nominal limit of the best of human visual acuity, meaning there's nowhere practical to go from there with regard to spatial resolution. When we get there, we can pretty much say we're done with the whole resolution question and move on to other concerns.

Last edited by Doctorossi; 01-05-17 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-05-17, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

The OLED that Panny showed off at CES isn't being released in the U.S. for some reason.
Old 01-05-17, 09:29 AM
Banned by request

Yeah, limited to Europe. I wonder why that is? And their claiming their OLED's are way brighter than any others. Shame we can't get in on these.
Old 01-05-17, 10:08 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

4k, 8k, OLED...heck, I'm still running my 2 Panny Plasmas and am not complaining. Haven't seen the 4k in action so maybe I'm consciously sheltering myself so I don't.
Old 01-05-17, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, limited to Europe. I wonder why that is? And their claiming their OLED's are way brighter than any others. Shame we can't get in on these.
Panasonic abandoned the US market awhile ago.

The most important thing at CES to me is LG's "wallpaper" OLED. They may eventually get cheap and large enough to replace most projector setups.
Old 01-05-17, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

And their claiming their OLED's are way brighter than any others.
...although they're using an LG panel!

I'm very interested in seeing how Sony's OLED stacks up next to LG's. I was disappointed to hear that nothing in LG's 2017 line supports 3D, so I'm holding out a little hope that Sony might (although they too are using LG panels).
Old 01-05-17, 10:57 AM
Banned by request

LG panel, but Sony tech - which to me is where the value is. From what I've been reading, the LG panels are produced by LG Display, which sells to LG, Sony, and soon to be Samsung. yeah, I'm hoping the Sony tech will be able to give it the right picture we've been seeking.
Old 01-05-17, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

LG panel, but Sony tech - which to me is where the value is.
Ditto. I'm curious to see what kind of a premium that comes at.

I'm not super-savvy about the mechanics of 3D, so I'm not sure if 3D support is something that would be in Sony's hands, or if it's a limitation of the panels that LG provides.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.