Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Ultra HD Blu-ray really worth the upgrade? (split from the DVD/BD sales thread)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Is Ultra HD Blu-ray really worth the upgrade? (split from the DVD/BD sales thread)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-16, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: Is Ultra HD Blu-ray really worth the upgrade? (split from the DVD/BD sales thread

I got a 4K TV during Black Friday week and yesterday picked up a XBox One S, which can play UHDs.

So just out of curiosity, I looked at the prices of UHDs while at Best Buy. They are quite expensive at roughly $30 a pop. Wasn't that the prices of BDs 10 years ago?

I really don't have the money or intention to jump into yet another new format. I mean who has the budget for $30 single movie discs these days?

I know I've read a few comments here (not sure who specifically) from guys who see New release announcements and say No UHD, No sale. I mean are you really spending the money and jumping all out into this right now and blowing off BDs for this new format? Just my personal opinion, I think it's extremely premature to go crazy about UHDs, especially at the current price point. I mean kudos to you if you have the $$$ and feel it's worth it.
Old 12-20-16, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Re: Is Ultra HD Blu-ray really worth the upgrade? (split from the DVD/BD sales thread

I bought a ton of DVDs at high prices that I didn't even get around to before they either dropped drastically in price or went to Blu. Repeated that mistake with Blu Rays. I'm no longer so gung ho about "future proofing" especially with catalog titles.
Old 12-20-16, 10:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I got a 4K TV during Black Friday week and yesterday picked up a XBox One S, which can play UHDs.

So just out of curiosity, I looked at the prices of UHDs while at Best Buy. They are quite expensive at roughly $30 a pop. Wasn't that the prices of BDs 10 years ago?

I really don't have the money or intention to jump into yet another new format. I mean who has the budget for $30 single movie discs these days?

I know I've read a few comments here (not sure who specifically) from guys who see New release announcements and say No UHD, No sale. I mean are you really spending the money and jumping all out into this right now and blowing off BDs for this new format? Just my personal opinion, I think it's extremely premature to go crazy about UHDs, especially at the current price point. I mean kudos to you if you have the $$$ and feel it's worth it.
I jumped in this past year, and of the 30 or so I have, I think I've paid close to full price for 2. The rest came during sales in which they came in under $20. I think I got about 10 during the holiday sales, all at $17.99. And during that Best Buy BOGO sale that included pre-sale stuff, I ordered the Bourne set which came in at $45 for the 5 movies. That's when I bought one at full price which was $24.99. I can live with that.
Old 12-21-16, 05:08 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

It's typically an extra $5 up charge for the 4k release although it can vary, and comes with the regular bluray and digital copy, often a Ultra HD digital copy. I can't complain about the price. The 3D / 4K bundles from Sony are a steal, really need the other studios to consider that.
Old 12-21-16, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Blu-ray and DVD sales - um, okay, I guess the % doesn't keep going up

Originally Posted by fujishig
Probably because you need glasses for everyone. I know that we rarely watch them because it's a hassle to get all the kids to put them on, make sure they have charge, etc.
I have (and love) passive 3D. Just like the theater (Real3D, not Imax3D)...in fact, I stocked up on glasses by not recycling my Real3D ones. No kids here, so that's not an issue I deal with. I can see if someone wears glasses (and can't wear contacts) how it's a problem, but otherwise....
Old 12-21-16, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
This is an excellent piece by A/V guru David Susilo dispelling some of the misconceptions about UHD and 4K video.

https://davidsusilouncensored.wordpr...eptions-of-4k/
I think the issue is there's not the visible "leap" in detail between Blu-ray and Ultra HD that one gets between DVD and Blu-ray, so it's not something that's immediately noticeable unless you're doing a side by side comparison or watch one immediately after watching the other. There is, however, a huge color "boost" thanks to HDR. I think that's what everyone notices first, although the "average" non-techy person may just think the image has gotten "darker."

It's one of the reasons I think 8K will be even more niche...unless you need a 100-plus inch TV, there's really no need for it until the day when all TVs just have that resolution as the standard.
Old 12-21-16, 07:37 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I think the issue is there's not the visible "leap" in detail between Blu-ray and Ultra HD that one gets between DVD and Blu-ray, so it's not something that's immediately noticeable unless you're doing a side by side comparison or watch one immediately after watching the other.

It's one of the reasons I think 8K will be even more niche...unless you need a 100-plus inch TV, there's really no need for it until the day when all TVs just have that resolution as the standard.
That's a big problem since even though there is that noticeable leap between DVD and Blu-ray, and the fact that 1080p TV's have been around forever now, yet people are still buying DVD. 4K TV's (lower end models) are as cheap as 1080's, yet 4K is still curving upward to catch up with sales.
Old 12-21-16, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
That's a big problem since even though there is that noticeable leap between DVD and Blu-ray, and the fact that 1080p TV's have been around forever now, yet people are still buying DVD.
The challenge with 4K (as was with Blu-ray) is convincing "Joe Sixpack" that what they are seeing is better. Attempting to persuade them with mathematical facts about pixel-count doesn't cut it.

Even with Blu-ray, trying to explain why one film is stunningly crisp and clear and another film is grainy is a difficult task. "Joe Sixpack" doesn't want to hear how one film, although grainy, is an accurate representation of the director's creative vision or trying to compare one film that was shot on poor-quality 1980s film stock to another film, made in 1967, which looks incredible.

It's amazing how many people don't get the whole aspect ratio concept and continue to curse those dang black bars on the screen while they're trying to watch Star Wars!
Old 12-21-16, 10:18 AM
Political Exile

I think the expanded color gamut and HDR are the more noticeable updates for the 4K standard. How many times have your watched sunrises or fades on 1080p, and the screen turned into a pixelated mess? I never understood why until I read that 1080 HD is only 8 bit color, just like those gifs from back in the 90s.
Old 12-21-16, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
I think the expanded color gamut and HDR are the more noticeable updates for the 4K standard. How many times have your watched sunrises or fades on 1080p, and the screen turned into a pixelated mess? I never understood why until I read that 1080 HD is only 8 bit color, just like those gifs from back in the 90s.
I remember when I first got a bluray player, I was wondering why there was still "banding" in the color palette.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colour_banding
Old 12-21-16, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Check on Amazon and come back and tell us that's not the case.
Checked. Not the case.
Old 12-21-16, 11:52 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

I have (and love) passive 3D. Just like the theater (Real3D, not Imax3D)...in fact, I stocked up on glasses by not recycling my Real3D ones. No kids here, so that's not an issue I deal with. I can see if someone wears glasses (and can't wear contacts) how it's a problem, but otherwise....
i have active 3D and don't mind them at all over my prescription glasses. really fits well and don't even notice. i actually prefer active over passive. i can see a difference with my passive 3D set and it isn't quite as stellar as my active, more used set. what is the glitchy active 3D all about?
Old 12-21-16, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Hardly.
I'm seeing around 43 new 3D titles released in the US in 2016. I wouldn't say that is a sign of a dead format. As long as movies are coming out in theaters in 3D, there is a damn good chance it's going to be released on Blu Ray that way as well.

The only thing I would say is there has been a decline in 3D TV's manufactured in 2016 compared to 2015. Some of that obviously has to do with Samsung dropping support in their models.
Old 12-21-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boys wear glasses and I got them clip-ons that work well with the glasses. We even bring them to the theater.
Old 12-21-16, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i have active 3D and don't mind them at all over my prescription glasses. really fits well and don't even notice. i actually prefer active over passive. i can see a difference with my passive 3D set and it isn't quite as stellar as my active, more used set. what is the glitchy active 3D all about?
I have active with my projector and passive with my older LG set. Both formats are good but the glasses are so much better with Passive that I would choose that over active.
Old 12-21-16, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Not sure if you're aware, but new release UHDs are only about $5 more and contain the same Blu-ray disc in the package. So essentially you are getting everything the BD package has plus the UHD disc for an extra $5. In many cases (or most, I'm not sure), the UV/DC code redeems UHD and you could get about $8 for it, making up most if not all the difference in price.
Old 12-21-16, 05:03 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by jjcool
Checked. Not the case.
Then you didn't look very well. There's actually a few hundred, not a few dozen.

Last edited by E Unit; 12-21-16 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-21-16, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

It's typically an extra $5 up charge for the 4k release although it can vary...
I find the 4K is usually at least $10 more than the BD for new releases. After a few weeks the gap gets larger with the BD dropping in price while the 4K remains unchanged. I often see a $20 difference between the formats.

Paying $32.99, $34.99, and $39.99 for a single movie is ridiculous in 2016 - especially given all the choices consumers have today.
Old 12-21-16, 09:48 PM
Political Exile

I'm not going to look up every movie but here are the new releases for this week
https://www.amazon.com/Sully-4K-Ultr.../dp/B01LBWHQRA
https://www.amazon.com/Magnificent-S.../dp/B01LTHMF3W
https://www.amazon.com/Storks-4K-Ult...dp/B01LBWHPXU/
Old 12-21-16, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

I'm in Canada and Amazon.ca shows a difference of $8. In B&M stores it's usually $10 or more difference for new releases.

And like I said, the gap widens a while after release where the BDs get closer to the bargain-bin and go for $10 or less... while the 4K UHD sticks to it's $32.99 or higher price. For example, at BestBuy The Martian and The Revenant are $9.99 on BD and $34.99 on UHD... and Life of Pi and The Kingsman are $7.99 on BD and $34.99 on 4K UHD. That's a difference of $25 and $27 respectively. That's a lot of money. You could buy 3 BDs for the price of 1 UHD-BD.

If they want any traction at all with UHD-BD, it should NEVER have a premium of more than $5 over BD... not for a new release and not later. If the BD is down to $7.99 then the UHD-BD should be no more than $12.99.
Old 12-22-16, 07:42 AM
Political Exile

okay, I didn't notice that you were talking Canadian pricing, but of course when I refer to $5 difference, I'm only talking about U.S., and namely the retailers that I purchase from like Amazon and Target.

Certainly you can compare retail prices of 4K discs to sale prices of blu-ray discs and find a larger discrepancy. Some studios are pricing their catalog 4K titles very high, I'll admit to that. Several titles were more than I wanted to pay, so I waited until I could get them on sale, and sure enough most of them were available under $20.

But for those that are purchasing new releases as they come out, my statement holds true. For about $5 more, you can get a 4K copy included along with the blu-ray and digital copy. Preorder pricing shows the same difference, so it's an easy choice for me to pay the extra for 4K, especially at the $24.99 pricing (when you include the $5 gift card promotion) that Target has for most 4K movies.
Old 12-22-16, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Then you didn't look very well. There's actually a few hundred, not a few dozen.

I looked well enough. An extremely limited number of titles, with fewer new releases each month it seems. And hardware support that is dwindling as well.
Old 12-22-16, 11:06 AM
Banned by request

Not sure where you see they're extremely limited. Studios are still making and releasing them in 3D. There's been no slowdown at all. Hardware support I can agree with you with, which makes it more confusing that there's still a healthy amount of 3D still being made. But I can't recall the last time we've seen movies in theaters where there weren't any 3D showing of some kind.
Old 12-22-16, 11:10 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Not sure where you see they're extremely limited. Studios are still making and releasing them in 3D. There's been no slowdown at all. Hardware support I can agree with you with, which makes it more confusing that there's still a healthy amount of 3D still being made. But I can't recall the last time we've seen movies in theaters where there weren't any 3D showing of some kind.
dude...it's not worth it for him. he's bitter about something and has problems with every new format. no sense in continuing the argument with this one...
Old 12-22-16, 11:14 AM
Banned by request

I suppose so, just hoping for a stronger argument. Nothing yet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.