Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 15th Anniversary remastered - 10/18/16

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 15th Anniversary remastered - 10/18/16

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-16, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 614 Likes on 452 Posts
Re: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 15th Anniversary remastered - 10/18/16

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
They removed the wire on the BD version of the artwork
Now if they could just adjust the lighting on the faces to make it look like they're even remotely in the same shot together.
Old 10-18-16, 09:06 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

Anyone know the difference between the 2 new Bluray versions?
Old 10-18-16, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Anyone know the difference between the 2 new Bluray versions?
Sony initially announced two Blu-rays and two UHDs. Of the Blu-rays, there was supposed to be a standard edition in a keepcase and a "Supreme Cinema Series" edition in an ugly digibook. As far as I can tell, only the Supreme Cinema Series is actually being released. Amazon dropped the listing for the other one and I don't see it at other retailers either.

Sony is still releasing two UHDs, however. The standard copy will be available at all retailers, while the Supreme Cinema UHD is an Amazon exclusive.

The standard UHD comes with a Blu-ray in the case, while the Supreme Cinema UHD only has the UHD and a Digital Copy. I suppose what this means is that Sony decided to consolidate the standard Blu-ray and standard UHD into one SKU, while the Supreme Cinema versions remain separate for some reason.

What I would like confirmation of now is whether the Blu-ray packed in with the standard UHD is the new remaster and has Atmos sound. If Sony just shoved an old Blu-ray in there, I'd be really pissed.

Last edited by Josh Z; 10-18-16 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-18-16, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Sony initially announced two Blu-rays and two UHDs. Of the Blu-rays, there was supposed to be a standard edition in a keepcase and a "Supreme Cinema Series" edition in an ugly digibook. As far as I can tell, only the Supreme Cinema Series is actually being released. Amazon dropped the listing for the other one and I don't see it at other retailers either.
I got the standard edition in a keepcase from Best Buy - this product link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/crouchin...?skuId=5577378

Comes with a slipcase like the previous regular editions of the SCS line (Fifth Element, Leon).

I was able to find this listing on Amazon only after I clicked Other Formats for the original US Blu-ray - Amazon sucks like that:

https://www.amazon.com/Crouching-Tig...6817493&sr=1-9
Old 10-18-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I got the standard edition in a keepcase from Best Buy - this product link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/crouchin...?skuId=5577378

Comes with a slipcase like the previous regular editions of the SCS line (Fifth Element, Leon).

I was able to find this listing on Amazon only after I clicked Other Formats for the original US Blu-ray - Amazon sucks like that:

https://www.amazon.com/Crouching-Tig...6817493&sr=1-9
Thanks for that. This whole release is very confusing.

The listing on Amazon is only available from a third-party seller for a few dollars more than Best Buy. I wonder if this copy is actually an unadvertised Best Buy exclusive?
Old 10-18-16, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bunkaroo, can you check the subtitles during the first scene between Chow Yun-Fat and Michelle Yeoh? Sorry, I don't have a timecode, but it's pretty early on. There's a portion of the dialogue where Chow is talking about his Wudan studies. In the theatrical subtitles, he says, "I left training early." In the old Blu-ray subs, he says, "I broke it off," which is modern slang that feels very inappropriate to the setting.

I'd be curious to know what the new Blu-ray says.

The old Blu-ray also alternated between the spelling of "Wudan" and "Wudang" throughout the movie with no consistency.

Also, can you confirm that the Blu-ray has a Dolby Atmos soundtrack? I hope that's not a UHD exclusive.
Old 10-18-16, 03:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

Thanks guys. So the $27.99 is just for digibook packaging?
Old 10-18-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Thanks guys. So the $27.99 is just for digibook packaging?
It seems so. Funny thing is if they looked like nice some of the WB digibooks I might have gotten them but the ugly silver banner and cramping of the actual cover art just looks bad.
Old 10-19-16, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Bunkaroo, can you check the subtitles during the first scene between Chow Yun-Fat and Michelle Yeoh? Sorry, I don't have a timecode, but it's pretty early on. There's a portion of the dialogue where Chow is talking about his Wudan studies. In the theatrical subtitles, he says, "I left training early." In the old Blu-ray subs, he says, "I broke it off," which is modern slang that feels very inappropriate to the setting.

I'd be curious to know what the new Blu-ray says.

The old Blu-ray also alternated between the spelling of "Wudan" and "Wudang" throughout the movie with no consistency.

Also, can you confirm that the Blu-ray has a Dolby Atmos soundtrack? I hope that's not a UHD exclusive.
Josh, this new Blu-ray does indeed use the theatrical subs on both the standard and SDH tracks. And there is indeed an Atmos track on the regular Blu-ray.
Old 10-19-16, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
Josh, this new Blu-ray does indeed use the theatrical subs on both the standard and SDH tracks. And there is indeed an Atmos track on the regular Blu-ray.
Much appreciated, Randy!
Old 10-19-16, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry about that - didn't see the replies in this until now. Thanks Randy for confirming!
Old 10-19-16, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem...it is indeed a very good release, aside from what appears to me mild interlacing in a handful of shots. I hope to have a review up later today.
Old 10-19-16, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
No problem...it is indeed a very good release, aside from what appears to me mild interlacing in a handful of shots. I hope to have a review up later today.
Not to rain on the parade, but did you say interlacing? On a brand new master in 2016? That's seems like a huge problem no matter how mild it might be.
Old 10-20-16, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Not to rain on the parade, but did you say interlacing? On a brand new master in 2016? That's seems like a huge problem no matter how mild it might be.
Although the new master comes from a 4k film scan, most of the film's VFX shots (and it has lots of them, for wire removal or CGI backgrounds and other things) were originally rendered and composited at 2k or less. I wonder if the problem Randy mentions has to do with scanning the footage at 4k and then downconverting it to 1080p for the Blu-ray? I'd be curious to find out if the UHD has the same problem.
Old 10-22-16, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Whoever worked on the cover of this release at Sony Pictures must have fell asleep.

They forgot to take out the wires that are clearly attached to Chow Yun-Fat's waist on the Supreme Cinema Series release

Definitely showing this to my Graphic Design & Digital Photography students this upcoming week.

Spoiler:

Last edited by asianxcore; 10-22-16 at 11:41 PM.
Old 10-22-16, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Yup, I also ended up getting the Supreme cinema series version ^^^ and saw the wires still there. Such sloppy work by Sony.

Could not find the regular edition, so I ended up with that version. Looks like the big difference is the digibook, and getting the UV code.
Old 10-22-16, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yup, I also ended up getting the Supreme cinema series version ^^^ and saw the wires still there. Such sloppy work by Sony.

Could not find the regular edition, so I ended up with that version. Looks like the big difference is the digibook, and getting the UV code.
My local store had 2 copies of the Single Disc (which was $14.99) and 2-3 copies of the Supreme Cinema Series yesterday. Might go back and grab a copy of the Single Disc now that I know the Theatrical Subtitles are on there.

Randy's review is up!

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/71406...astered-in-4k/
Old 10-23-16, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm going to get the digibook when it's around $15. I have the earlier titles in the series and want to continue my collection. Unbelievable about the wires though.