Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

9/13 Universal Monsters Legacy Collections

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 07-15-16, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Amazon has The Complete Legacy Collections for Frankenstein and Wolfman up for pre-order. $40 a pop. All the sequels. Some duplication between sets and what's already out. Couldn't find sets for Mummy, Dracula and Creature. Maybe next year.

Sept. 13 is really getting expensive with Hammer set, Olive horror titles, Kino Fox titles.
Old 07-15-16, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Re: 9/13 Universal Monsters Legacy Collections

Wow. Now that's some incredible news. I had pretty much given up on setting these hit Blu-ray. I'll happily buy any of these sets that they release, and $40 isn't a bad price for these either.
Old 07-15-16, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/Wolf-Man-Comp...s_2959133011_6

https://www.amazon.com/Frankenstein-...s_2959133011_3
Old 07-15-16, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I'm surprised that Universal is waiting to release a Dracula set. I would think that and Frankenstein would be the top sellers. I guess they want to spread those releases out.
Old 07-15-16, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad these films are getting the blu-ray treatment but I sort of resent the repeating of films. Obviously, if you're into these films you probably already picked up the previous box set. Now, not only do you get those films again, you get them again and again by buying the various sets. I have no doubt they held back on Dracula because it would have been more of the same nonsense and made it even more obvious. I'll probably just get the Frankenstein set and call it a day as much as I love Werewolf of London.
Old 07-15-16, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't own any other ones except the Universal Monsters Coffin set and that only has Wolfman, Frankenstein, and Bride of Frankenstein, so you sort do get some bang for your buck. Now if you do own the DVD sets then yeah, you're just upgrading.
Old 07-15-16, 10:10 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I bought the UK set really cheap, so I don't really mind double dipping for these. But I might wait until the price goes down.

And I don't get it - why is Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein listed on the Wolf Man set? I don't recall Wolf Man being in that movie.
Old 07-15-16, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I bought the UK set really cheap, so I don't really mind double dipping for these. But I might wait until the price goes down.

And I don't get it - why is Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein listed on the Wolf Man set? I don't recall Wolf Man being in that movie.
He's a main player in it. Lon Chaney Jr. and all.
Old 07-15-16, 10:15 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Okay, cool. Last I saw it was on DVD so many years ago. It'll be fun to re-visit those.
Old 07-15-16, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I don't own any other ones except the Universal Monsters Coffin set and that only has Wolfman, Frankenstein, and Bride of Frankenstein, so you sort do get some bang for your buck. Now if you do own the DVD sets then yeah, you're just upgrading.
If you buy both the Wolfman and Frankenstein sets, you'll also end up with doubles for House of Frankenstein, House of Dracula, Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman and Abbott & Costello. Then add in Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein and Wolfman from the box. That's a lot of repeating of films. If they had done a Dracula set too we'd then have Dracula (If you got the original uni monster box), House of Frankenstein, House of Dracula and Abbott & Costello repeating yet again.

I get the set up but there had to be a better way to do this. It won't be as bad for the Mummy set or Creature if they do them next year. But hey, I'm thrilled these are coming out! Like I said, I'll pick up Frankenstein and then wait and see if Wolfman ever goes for a cheap price.
Old 07-15-16, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 'bust' set of dvds and the UK blu-ray set so I think I'll wait and see if they release a complete box set later without a bunch of duplication.
Old 07-15-16, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 602 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza
I get the set up but there had to be a better way to do this.
There is, but we'll probably be waiting ages for it. When all this reissuing and double/triple/quadruple repeating is done, they could release one final set that has just ONE copy of each film in the order in which they were originally released. Doubt they'll ever give us that, but it would be ideal (as AdamGott mentioned while I was still composing this reply).

Barring that, one might as well wait until they combine all these Blu-ray upgrade sets into one "ultimate" mega-set that matches the current 'Classic Monsters' 30-film-but-actually-more-with-duplication DVD version. Inevitably, such a set will be an Amazon DOTD or what have you, which would be a lot cheaper than loading up on these individual sets as they come out (which is what Universal wants, of course).
Old 07-15-16, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamGott
I have the 'bust' set of dvds and the UK blu-ray set so I think I'll wait and see if they release a complete box set later without a bunch of duplication.
Same here, but if these sets get down to $20/ea I'm likely to scoop them up all the same.
Old 07-15-16, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
..if these sets get down to $20/ea I'm likely to scoop them up all the same.
That's my magic price point for these. I can deal with paying $40 for the 7 films here I don't have. The duplication is more an issue of shelf space for me than economics. And even though that's negligible, it would still be better if it were all streamlined into an efficient and small a package as possible.

Kind of funny as these were the two Legacy sets I had found easiest to get around to watching and selling off early (and not missing so much). The Mummy was the other. Couldn't bear to sell the Invisible Man or The Creature sets, though I really should have. After this stuff comes out it always seems like "Of course, it was just a matter of time". But before that happens it's like staring into the abyss- "what if the studio just throws in the towel tomorrow and we get nothing but new releases from here on out?" Holding onto a bunch of standard def disc now seems like being saddled with an albatross- but it's infinitely better than not having access to the films at all...or only through some streaming BS.
Old 07-15-16, 12:46 PM
Banned

I think the configuration here is absolute nonsense. I'm not going to fork out money to buy sets that duplicate the same films unless they are dirt cheap. It's a stupid move. It would have been far better to release these films as double features as they did originally on DVD. Better yet, they could have been released as volumes. This is definitely a wait and see because I have no doubt they will slap together a complete collection sometime down the road. I can live without most of the sequels. They simply do not hold up as well as the originals. The only films that are "must-haves" for me are "Werewolf of London" and "Son of Frankenstein." They are good enough to deserve individual releases. The rest are quite forgettable. I'm holding on to my individual blu-ray re-releases with slipcovers. But I am gonna keep my eyes peeled for a copy of "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein" with the Universal 100th Anniversary slipcover... Someone is gonna be foolish enough to trade theirs in!

Last edited by AaronSch; 07-15-16 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-15-16, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Like me. I'm probably going to put mine up for sale soon (yes, with the slip).

Need to check the special features first and see what if any are going to get duplicated.
Old 07-15-16, 01:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Like me. I'm probably going to put mine up for sale soon (yes, with the slip).

Need to check the special features first and see what if any are going to get duplicated.
Okay, I'll bite
Old 07-15-16, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,060 Likes on 642 Posts

I will just wait on the eventual "every release" boxset on BD. But by then, the initial first movies will be on UHD.
Old 07-15-16, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by AaronSch
I think the configuration here is absolute nonsense. !
hmm. i have frankenstein, bride and wolfman from the classic monsters BD collection. so if i get the wolfman BD release, I am only repeating wolfman and missing son of/ghost of frankenstein.. hopefully they will release those separately.. that wouldn't be bad..

But yes, I don't get this logic. they have GOT to know people who will be buying one set will probably be buying the other sets.....
Old 07-15-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They're available to import from Amazon Canada. The total is $36.83 shipped from Canada to the US.

FYI
Old 07-15-16, 07:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will happily get these at $40 each.

I have the US 8-film Universal Monster set on blu-ray, so I guess if they end up putting out Dracula, Invisible Man, Mummy, and Creature sets I'll just buy the individual blu-ray release of the Claude Rains POTO and sell that set.

If somebody is buying them all, it does kind of suck that, when combined with Frankenstein, the Wolf Man one only has two unique, new-to-blu-ray films (Werewolf of London & She-Wolf of London) that have nothing to do with the larger Universal Monster mythos.

Also, again, combined with Frankenstein, Dracula will only have two unique, new-to-blu-ray films (Dracula's Daughter & Son of Dracula) which have very little to do with the larger Universal Monster mythos (neither character really recur in the other films).

Mummy & Invisible Man will be much more rewarding sets when they eventually come out.

The real winner, for me anyway, will be if they include not only the pre-existing blu-ray 3D version of Creature from the Black Lagoon in that set but also include a blu-ray 3D version of Revenge of the Creature too.

I hope they put the other four out this year too and don't plan on waiting for next year instead.
Old 07-15-16, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by wahlers

Mummy & Invisible Man will be much more rewarding sets when they eventually come out.
At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if they included A&C meet Frankenstein in the Invisible man set!!
Old 07-15-16, 08:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve
At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if they included A&C meet Frankenstein in the Invisible man set!!
Well, they didn't include it in the DVD version of the set, just the 4 Invisible Man movies and A&C Meet the Invisible Man. The Invisible Man clip from the end of A&C Meet Frankenstein is in the documentary on The Invisible Man for completists.
Old 07-16-16, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by wahlers

I have the US 8-film Universal Monster set on blu-ray, so I guess if they end up putting out Dracula, Invisible Man, Mummy, and Creature sets I'll just buy the individual blu-ray release of the Claude Rains POTO and sell that set.

If somebody is buying them all, it does kind of suck that, when combined with Frankenstein, the Wolf Man one only has two unique, new-to-blu-ray films (Werewolf of London & She-Wolf of London) that have nothing to do with the larger Universal Monster mythos.

Also, again, combined with Frankenstein, Dracula will only have two unique, new-to-blu-ray films (Dracula's Daughter & Son of Dracula) which have very little to do with the larger Universal Monster mythos (neither character really recur in the other films).

The real winner, for me anyway, will be if they include not only the pre-existing blu-ray 3D version of Creature from the Black Lagoon in that set but also include a blu-ray 3D version of Revenge of the Creature too.

I hope they put the other four out this year too and don't plan on waiting for next year instead.
Not to mention getting the Creature sequels in widescreen, A&C Meet The Mummy in widescreen plus A&C Meet The Invisible Man.

Then they'll probably release an A&C Meet The Monsters set and We'll be stuck with buying the set just to get Jekyll/Hide and The Killer.
Old 07-16-16, 07:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

I watch my DVD sets almost every year, perhaps more than any DVDs in my collection, yet don't feel any need to upgrade.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.