Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Knight Rider, Miami Vice Complete Series Blu-rays -- 10/4/16

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Knight Rider, Miami Vice Complete Series Blu-rays -- 10/4/16

Old 07-06-16, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Knight Rider, Miami Vice Complete Series Blu-rays -- 10/4/16

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I just googled...the evil version was called Karr and the semi was called Goliath, and I definitely want to catch up on those eps and it should be a treat in true hi def.
Those episodes were fun. The Golliath eps even had an evil Spock like Michael! Double the Hoff!

But those are about it. The rest are the worst kind of procedural where they keep putting Michael and or KITT is some mortal danger you are supposed to buy they might actually have them die. And unlike Vice, there isn't even a (now) cool list of guest stars or cool songs to go along with the episodes.

They previously put out a best of set for Knight Rider. All of those key episodes were included. It would cool if they did that again in hi-def.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 07-06-16 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-06-16, 06:57 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buying both, but looking forward to MV more. I will never stream shit, so releases like this are welcomed.
Old 07-14-16, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 715 Likes on 585 Posts

If Miami Vice is taken from the syndication masters that would mean they will be edited and not the full episodes

EL Rey airs them though that channel is not in HD on Directv.

Old 07-14-16, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

JeffTheAlpaca, my understanding is that the music rights were cleared for the complete series DVD release (which I watched in its entirety shortly after it hit the market), and that would have been the biggest hurdle to putting it out on dvd. If music rights were not an issue for the DVD release, I am assuming that we did indeed get the full uncut episodes...so hopefully, what we got on the complete series dvd release just carries over to the blu ray release.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 07-14-16 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-14-16, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hope you are right.

Season 5 kind of sucked since Jan Hammer was gone and did not feel like Miami Vice anymore.
Old 07-17-16, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Crockett didn't even have the Testarossa until season 3. That's when the shit got real.
Yup. The stories got better but it also started going down on the ratings. It cracked me up when it seemed all the drug dealers' preferred ride on the show where AMGs. It was cool when not everyone knew what they were back then.

I have the first season on DVD but didn't get the rest. The pic quality was terrible. I will get the BD if it is cleaned up, though.
Old 07-18-16, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they were still at the top of their game in season 3 and moved the timeslot to compete with Dallas.
Old 09-30-16, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Postponed 1 week until October 11th for both shows.

Unfortunately, fans of Miami Vice, Knight Rider and Sliders will have to wait just a bit longer to get their hands on their coveted complete series. Due to unforeseen complications in the manufacturing process, our street dates for the titles have changed. We are very sorry to have to report this delay to fans, and appreciate all of those who have pre-ordered their copies! We want to ensure that these products are made to excellent standards, and although our fans have to wait a little longer we are confident they will appreciate these releases.
Old 09-30-16, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's $56 on Amazon but I think I will wait until Christmas to get MV. It most likely be even lower and Costco usually stocks up on TV series sets by then.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...nandscathed-20
Old 10-11-16, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk God

I ended up picking up Miami Vice via Deep Discount. They have it for $49.99 there. Not too bad for a Blu-Ray of a 5 season show.

Only drawback was paying sales tax and $6 shipping. Even though Deep Discount has free shipping for $25 or more, the product apparently weighs 4.5 lbs and they have to charge shipping because of the weight.

Regardless it came out to $60.46 total, which is cheaper than Amazon. I'm going to hold off on Knight Rider and maybe get that during the Holidays.
Old 10-11-16, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

I hope Knight Rider is an amazon BF Week special. Hard to believe we will be enjoying another BF Week in less than two months.
Old 10-12-16, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
I ended up picking up Miami Vice via Deep Discount. They have it for $49.99 there. Not too bad for a Blu-Ray of a 5 season show.
How's the A/V quality compared to the DVD?
Old 10-12-16, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by mrhan
How's the A/V quality compared to the DVD?
It just shipped yesterday. Hopefully I'll get it within the next few days.
Old 10-14-16, 10:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope Knight Rider is an amazon BF Week special.
I don't recall much of anything from Amazon last year. I can't recall any DVD/Blu Rays. Maybe recent new movies?
Old 10-14-16, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I picked up both from Bull Moose for $56 shipped each. I spot checked a couple of scenes on Miami Vice. Some shots had some grain, some were pretty sharp. I'm pleased.

On Knight Rider, watching an episode I've seen countless times, I just noticed a special effects string for the first time. Sharp picture.

The only thing that bothered me were the disc were stacked on top of each other 2 x 2 in each case. Almost there Mill Creek. At least its not envelopes.

Last edited by stingermck; 10-14-16 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-19-16, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk God

My Miami Vice copy arrived a few days ago and I watched the 96 minute Pilot episode. Haven't seen it in years.

Anyways, I'm not really an expert to judge video quality, but I would probably rate it a 7 or 8 at best. I mean it's a 32 year old show that was shot in SD and in 4:3. There was only so much they can do to sharpen it for HD. You could see some pixelation and grain at times and the colors aren't very vibrant. But again it's a 32 year old show.

All the original music is there, so that's one of the biggest positives. Not sure when I'll get to the rest, but at least I have it. Noticed that Amazon isn't selling it right now due to some issue.

There's 5 keep cases with 4 discs in each one, but they are stacked. No extras though. Not that the DVD release had anything of substance anyways.
Old 10-19-16, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Anyways, I'm not really an expert to judge video quality, but I would probably rate it a 7 or 8 at best. I mean it's a 32 year old show that was shot in SD and in 4:3.
It was shot on film, and I believe all of the post-production was done on film as well, so it should hold up to HD remastering as well as pretty much anything else.
Old 10-19-16, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,064 Likes on 644 Posts

Noticed that Amazon isn't selling it right now due to some issue.
Some people are bitching about the 5.1 tracks and saying they are not good one some of the episodes according to the other forum. I believe that is the reason Amazon took it off sale for the moment.

It's too late now but I wish I had waited and ordered it from DD. With their sale that just went off today, I could have gotten the set for $42.50 plus whatever extra shipping charge they added. Definitely a better price than what I paid Amazon when it hit its lowest there.
Old 10-19-16, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Yep, MIAMI VICE was shot on 35mm film. A good transfer should make it look A LOT better. Doesn't sound like that's what happened.
Old 10-20-16, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Some people are bitching about the 5.1 tracks and saying they are not good one some of the episodes according to the other forum. I believe that is the reason Amazon took it off sale for the moment.
Seems unlikely. Amazon didn't pull Age of Ultron from sale when people complained about the lousy soundtrack on that one.

Mill Creek delayed both Miami Vice and Knight Rider a week due to replication issues with the vendor that stamps the discs. I have a feeling that they're still having problems and Amazon doesn't have enough supply on hand to take more orders at the moment.
Old 10-20-16, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I have a feeling that they're still having problems and Amazon doesn't have enough supply on hand to take more orders at the moment.
If that were the case, Amazon would just say 'Temporarily Backordered' or something similar, though, wouldn't they?

It seems like everytime I see this message on a Blu-ray release, it pretty much always winds up being complaints about the packaging (or packaging that gets damaged if Amazon shoves it in a bubble mailer or somethin').
Old 10-20-16, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
If that were the case, Amazon would just say 'Temporarily Backordered' or something similar, though, wouldn't they?
I don't know. It's Amazon. I can't make heads or tails of what they do sometimes. I go there and use their search engine to look for a brand new disc just released, and the only way to find it is to go to an older listing and click on "Other Formats." Then there's all the games they play by removing titles from the search criteria and disabling preorders when they're having a dispute with the studio.
Old 11-02-16, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Replacement program for bad audio mixes on some of the episodes:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mia...e-Series/22775

To our customers and fans of Miami Vice, we thank you for your patronage and passionate responses to the Miami Vice - Complete Series release on Blu-ray. We appreciate the messages we have received and have been following on forums and social media. We have investigated and reviewed the issues found, debated, and discussed. We hope we can provide answers and clarity because we want fans to be able to enjoy this landmark TV series to its fullest.

Aspect Ratio
It has always been our intention to release the series in its original, full screen aspect ratio which is how the HD masters were provided to us.

Packaging
Based on customer feedback, we chose to package this product using standard Blu-ray cases inside a slipcase instead of packaging using cardboard sleeves. Unfortunately, we cannot control how our resellers re-package and ship direct-to-consumer, so for any consumers receiving damaged product from shipping, please notify the retailer directly.

Audio Sync
The audio throughout the series is in sync as on the masters provided. For those moments questioned, they are a result of dubbing (ADR) from the production of the show. We have been unable to identify any occurrence of asynchronous audio as a result of our authoring of the episodes. We have concluded that the issues are more noticeable now than in previous DVD releases due to the uncompressed DTS-HD Master Audio and HD video which cause these slight imperfections to become much more audible than ever before. This also affects the dynamic range in the audio during scenes where background audio may also become more noticeable. This will vary by individual home audio systems, setups, and personalized audio settings.

5.1 Audio
We have re-QCed each and every episode across all five seasons and have identified the following 4 episodes in Season 1 which have errors with the new 5.1 lossless audio:

"Heart of Darkness"
The 5.1 audio track does have issues in the mix creating an echo/reverb-like effect that phases in and out periodically throughout the episode.

"The Home Invaders"
"Nobody Lives Forever"
The 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio tracks were accidentally left-off the disc after we conducted the original QC

"Evan"
The 5.1 audio track does have issues in the mix creating an echo/reverb-like effect that phases in and out periodically throughout the episode.
We apologize for these errors and are fully prepared to fix the issues in Season 1 on Discs 1 and 4 of the Blu-ray Complete Series set. We will send disc replacements out to customers who contact us and provide us with proof of purchase. It will take several weeks for replacement discs to become available, so we appreciate your patience as we work to resolve these errors. Please contact our Customer Service at [email protected]
Old 11-04-16, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Sent an e-mail with an attached copy of my receipt to Mill Creek yesterday for the replacement program on the bad audio discs. They replied back the next day and said they will send out replacement discs soon.
Old 11-05-16, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,064 Likes on 644 Posts

Thanks for posting this. Guess I will send an email out to them.

You wonder if stuff like this makes companies reconsider releasing full sets of TV shows? If they would just have a few superfans on quality control, maybe this would not happen so often.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.