Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Iron Giant - 9/6/16

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Iron Giant - 9/6/16

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-16, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: The Iron Giant - 9/6/16

My copy should arrive today.
Old 09-06-16, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I think this review is the first article that details the changes that were made:
Spoiler:
The Signature Edition of The Iron Giant adds two new scenes. A short scene beginning at time mark 15:51 shows Dean and Hogarth's mother conversing in the diner, thereby deepening their characters and hinting at a possible future relationship. A more substantive addition occurs at time mark 54:46, when the Giant is "sleeping" in Dean's junkyard and experiences nightmarish flashbacks to his former life as a soldier in a mechanical army. His visions emerge as transmissions that are picked up on Dean's TV, and he is startled by the violent images flashing across his screen. A further alteration occurs at time mark 29:18, when Hogarth is watching TV at home. In the theatrical cut, the commercial on the screen is for Maypo Cereal, but in the Signature Edition it has been replaced by an ad for Disney's Tomorrowland, which is what Bird originally intended but had to omit when Disney would not grant him a clearance.

Looking at the extras, and comparing them to the Special Edition DVD, the two restored/completed scenes added into the Signature Edition cut have been removed from the Deleted Scenes extras. So if you want to see the unfinished version of the scenes, hold onto the Special Edition DVD.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=522
Old 09-06-16, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts
Should I Hold Off on "The Iron Giant" Box Set/Will the Price Go Down in the Future?

I was wondering if I should hold off on "The Iron Giant" Blu Ray set (presently $75 on Amazon) or wait down the road (maybe Black Friday). In short, do you think the price will go down, or should I strike while the iron's (giant) is hot?
Old 09-06-16, 02:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
...I'm going to try and stop by Walmart today
Hope you are luckier than me. The Walmart in my area had no copies. When I sopped by Best Buy to pick up my "Now You See Me 1 and 2" Steelbooks, I figured I would pick up "Iron Giant" even though I placed a preorder—no luck. Best Buy isn't carrying it stores either. This one looks to be an online-only item. Simply ridiculous, This is what happens when you put people in charge of purchasing who are clueless about media.
Old 09-06-16, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronSch
Went ahead and ordered the single disc. I might get the box if it eventually gets reduced to $20-$30. They would have been far smarter to release a set similar to "The Town," "Argo," "Goodfellas." "Once Upon A Time In America," "The Exorcist," "Citizen Kane," and "Alexander." Those sets are wonderfully executed and in some instances include alternate cuts as well as a nice hard-bound book—all in a rather attractive, shelf friendly hard slip case. And then at a later date release a standard single disc release. I think some catalog titles could benefit greatly with that model.
So, you think it will go down to $20 or $30 in the future? I'm pretty on the fence about it. I was just wanting to avoid those--"sorry it's out of print, but you can score one for $400 on eBay!"

Mods: feel free to close and remove my thread on this forum about this. I forgot about *this* thread!
Old 09-06-16, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts
Re: Should I Hold Off on "The Iron Giant" Box Set/Will the Price Go Down in the Futur

I would hold-off...it should drop in price, or worst case scenario it will not increase in price and you can pull the trigger after the holidays if there were no price drops.
Old 09-06-16, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: Should I Hold Off on "The Iron Giant" Box Set/Will the Price Go Down in the Futur

In general prices go down over time. However, if it is a limited set, the price may go up as the print run is exhausted. Other factors here is how well it sells and how many are made. Unfortunately there is no real way to tell, oftentimes before it is too late. After years of doing this, if it is something that I really want, I have learned that it is better to strike while the iron (giant) is hot rather than wait for a possible price drop. Just my two cents, and I could be wrong. It is an older movie that may not have the love of the movie buying public that it once did. Fans of the film may have grown out of it, etc.
Old 09-06-16, 03:34 PM
Banned

I don't think it is a big gamble to wait. It wasn't even distributed to the big box retailers. I have a suspicion it could be around quite awhile. If not, I'm good with the blu-ray sans ephemera.
Old 09-06-16, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

This release reminds me of the Willy Wonka or Wizard of Oz Blu-ray box sets. Those both seemed to go to clearance, and Iron Giant isn't even as popular as those two. I'm kind of shocked they even produced this box set.
Old 09-06-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Yeah, the key is risking it going OOP while waiting for the drop. In general, it seems like Warner titles stay in print and drop in price, unless they involved animated Batman.
Old 09-06-16, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Forgot I pre-ordered this. Amazon delivered it today.
Old 09-06-16, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronSch
Hope you are luckier than me. The Walmart in my area had no copies.
No dice. Funny enough, he did mention that it might end up in their $7.99 dump bin in the next few months.
Old 09-06-16, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PatD
So, you think it will go down to $20 or $30 in the future? I'm pretty on the fence about it. I was just wanting to avoid those--"sorry it's out of print, but you can score one for $400 on eBay!"
Evidently it is limited to 15,000 copies. I look at the price and the content and I can't bring myself to justify a purchase. The cheapest I have found Is around $55 shipped via Bull Moose. I decided to compare that logically to the Star Trek 50th Anniversary set that has the entire original television series, animated series and movie series along with bonus content and ephemera in a handsome box set. Price tag at Best Buy next week? $129. That's little more than just twice the price with a helluva lot more content—30 disc set to be exact. There's no way I can justify this price for the pure cardboard crap Warner Bros has dished for arguably one of the greatest animated films ever produced—They even have the arrogance to make the minuscuole figure out of plastic! I'm going for the additionally disappointing single disc version—you think one of the marketing geniuses at Warner would have thought about a nice steelbook or metalpak...or is that just too damn obvious? Maybe I should wait for Zavvi. But to each his own—make up your own minds. I'm not gonna bite at this price or any price over $30. Here's the first unboxing video that was posted today:

Last edited by AaronSch; 09-06-16 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-06-16, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Yeah, still too expensive.
Old 09-06-16, 09:05 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Have this enroute. Can't wait to revisit...
Old 09-06-16, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

15,000 is a lot of copies, especially with how catalog sales are doing. I bet it'll be clearance priced next year.
Old 09-07-16, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no doubt this will go on super clearance just like all the other boxes with silly trinkets just like it. Wait or just buy the regular version. Personally I'm waiting on the regular version because even that is sure to be half the price in a few months.
Old 09-07-16, 09:50 AM

Received 1,912 Likes on 1,128 Posts

It will be cheaper later but ten bucks is the right price point for me, especially since I didn't upgrade a few years ago to the special edition DVD, still have the original from the snapper case.

I went with the regular version and that will be plenty for me. I took our now 5-year-old to this a few months back at a theater playing classics and she loved it. Arrived yesterday, we'll open it and watch some of it tonight, is my guess. She'll be thrilled.
Old 09-07-16, 09:58 AM
Banned

Yeah, I had already pre-ordered the single disc edition and it should arrive today. I'm okay trading it in at some point if and when I buy the box set at a discount or a beautiful steelbook edition is released.
Old 09-07-16, 05:46 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

To those who have the deluxe edition, how is the book that comes with it?
Old 09-07-16, 06:59 PM
Cool New Member

looks cool
Old 09-08-16, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Another very positive review with more screenshots.

http://doblu.com/2016/09/02/iron-gia...lu-ray-review/
Old 09-08-16, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I've been hesitant to upgrade as we just watched the old DVD recently and it still looked pretty good on our TV, but the extras and the extended cut are really calling to me.
Old 09-08-16, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I've been hesitant to upgrade as we just watched the old DVD recently and it still looked pretty good on our TV, but the extras and the extended cut are really calling to me.
and the price out of the gate is appealing...
Old 09-12-16, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Watched the movie and the new documentary last week.

I liked the new Signature cut. Of the two new scenes, I think the first between Annie and Dean doesn't seem that necessary. Also, I felt the animation or coloring or something was "off" a bit in this scene. Not bad, just subtly different than the rest of the film, although I think that if you didn't know this was an added scene, you might not really notice.

The second scene, "The Giant's Dream," is a much better scene that hints a little further about the Giant's backstory. I also feel this footage fits into the movie better, although it's such a quick-cut montage style that maybe no single shot lingers long enough to stick out.

I also listened to the new commentary for the new scenes. They edited in Brad Bird saying pretty much the same thing he did in the intros to the deleted scenes on the Special Edition DVD.

As for the new documentary, it's refreshingly honest and frank about the history of the film, and the conflicts with the studio and other inter-personal conflicts that came up. Instead of using a lot of talking heads, it's largely audio from an interview with Brad Bird that's illustrated and "lightly" animated by Iron Giant contributor Teddy Newton (think "storyboard" style/quality animation). My only complaint is that it ends with a quick note stating that they're working on animating new scenes for the Signature Edition, so doesn't cover that at all. I would've liked the documentary to have been extended to cover the creation of the new footage, or many a separate short making-of covering it. As is, there's nothing on the disc that really goes into the new footage.

I did find this nice interview with Ken Duncan of Duncan Studio, the animation house that made the new footage.
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-f...on-120116.html

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.