Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Could you stop collecting cold turkey?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Could you stop collecting cold turkey?

Old 01-28-16, 06:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Re: Could you stop collecting cold turkey?

I wish I could but it would be so hard. Getting easier though with streaming...
Old 01-28-16, 07:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a bit of an existential crisis about my collecting of blu-rays and other stuff when I almost died last year and faced the fact that I had a few hundred discs (out of a few thousand) sitting unopened on my to watch shelves. For a few months I slowed down on buying stuff, but the several thousand dollars in co-pays I had to pay might have accounted for that. Since then I have gone on purchasing stuff as I always have. In the end, I work long hours and seeing frequent packages come in for my various collections keeps me going, so I don't think I will ever stop.
Old 01-28-16, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

Right Now? Hell No but I think I will eventually run out of things to buy. Maybe Not Cold Turkey but I can see myself buying maybe 1 or 2 titles a month eventually. Not really a fan of contemporary cinema so I got that on my side at least. I have about 135 titles on my wishlist; only about 10 titles were made after year 2000 though I'm still discovering new and exciting catalog titles everyday (and lovin' it).
Old 01-29-16, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,064 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
No I won't stop buying it if it came out.

Now why isn't that movie on blu-ray?
Old 01-29-16, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Question for you all. What constitutes "collecting"? Is it actively adding to an existing collection? Is it simply having a collection of something? For example, I was really into sports cards in my younger days. I would buy packs, and go to the sports card stores (when they existed around here). I haven't bought a sports card in at least 15 years, but I still have my collection. Am I still a collector of sports cards?
Old 01-29-16, 08:49 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Question for you all. What constitutes "collecting"? Is it actively adding to an existing collection? Is it simply having a collection of something? For example, I was really into sports cards in my younger days. I would buy packs, and go to the sports card stores (when they existed around here). I haven't bought a sports card in at least 15 years, but I still have my collection. Am I still a collector of sports cards?
Well that right there means you no longer collect. In our cases, I would say buying blu's on any level. For me, I buy from 1-3 a week or every two weeks, and I don't usually watch them until a few months later. Something like that.
Old 01-29-16, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
I'm in the same boat.

I guess I'd consider myself a collector, just not actively collecting.
Old 01-29-16, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Sure I can. Even though I own a shit load and every once in a while pick up stuff in splurges, I can live without collecting movies.

There is still a B&M video rental place near where I live and with on demand, the stuff I currently own, streaming, I would still have plenty of stuff to watch for years and not even contemplate going out and spending $10-20 on a new disc. I would set my mind on putting the money to something more productive.
Old 01-29-16, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope. Not a chance.
Old 01-29-16, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Running out of space is curtailing my collecting, but I don't think I could ever quit entirely.

Cold Turkey has got me.....on the run.
Old 01-29-16, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

In general most of my "impulse buying" and ocd collecting, is largely with dvds. Not really as much with blurays.

A lot of my ocd collecting in regard to dvds, is directly related to my fascination with "basketcase" dvd copy protection drm schemes which go beyond the generic CSS dvd encryption. Mostly very egregious stuff like deliberate bad sectors, file system corruption, "interleaved vts", etc ... type schemes, which were extensively used on dvds released by movie companies like:

- Paramount (late-2009 -> mid-2014)
- Disney/Buena Vista (2006 and 2008-2010)
- New Line (mid-late 2007)
- various Lionsgate/Summit titles released over 2006 -> mid-late 2015
- various Sony titles released over late-2005 -> early-2010
- etc ...

Over the years I've spent too much time reading through the *.ifo files from many dvd discs with such baseketcase drm schemes, largely to figure out how these drm schemes functioned.

Easy to go scavenging through local $2 bargain bins and thrift shops, searching for titles released by movie companies during these particular time periods. (ie. I read a lot of the archives of other message boards which discussed then-current titles which had such egregious basketcase drm schemes).

But with less and less outstanding basketcase dvd titles left over as time goes on, I've found my impulse buying of dvds to be a lot less than before. For example, I've found that a lot of Lionsgate and Sony titles from the above respectively mentioned time periods, actually didn't have any additional basketcase drm schemes at all. It turned out it was mostly big name action/genre movies, which Sony and Lionsgate used a lot of additional baseketcase drm schemes. For non-action/non-genre and less popular titles, it seemed like Sony and Lionsgate didn't bother with any basketcase drm schemes.

Once the well is largely dry of available dvds with known basketcase drm schemes, most of my impulse buying and ocd collecting of dvds seems to have receded. For example, I've had very little to no interest in impulse buying/collecting of dvds released from Warner, Universal, and Fox. (Warner and Universal only had a very small handful of titles released with basketcase drm schemes).

In the case of bluray, I haven't really did as much impulse buying/collecting. Most of the blurays I buy, are movies that I actually watch at least once.
Old 01-29-16, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Tried to stop collecting cold turkey... Just ended up collecting Ham...
Old 01-30-16, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I'm really a collector at heart too. Blu-ray's (and to a lesser extent DVD's), some video games (I've particularly been getting into collecting retro NES, SNES, and Genesis games lately), toys/collectibles, and comic trade paperbacks are all things that I think I'll be buying for as long as I'm alive. I just enjoy owning things and while I could quit buying any of them if I really had to it wouldn't be ideal at all.