Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Does this bode well for a Blu release? Godfather Epic on HBO Jan 2016

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-16, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

http://www.someecards.com/entertainm...ological-edit/

The Godfather Epic—a re-mastered, uncensored, 7-hour-long chronological edit of the first two Godfather films, complete with deleted scenes that didn't make it into either theatrical cut.
That'd be another VHS set I could get rid of.
Old 01-18-16, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Re: Does this bode well for a Blu release? Godfather Epic on HBO Jan 2016

Not to threadcrap, but is there really much demand for this? I've never understood the fascination with the chronological edit. It completely destroys the brilliance of the inter-cutting and juxtaposition in The Godfather II.
Old 01-18-16, 10:56 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

They missed their chance years ago when they released the Godfather Collection. Marginal interest at best since chronological edit has never been really embraced. If they ever released it, I'd maybe pick it up if it were cheap.
Old 01-18-16, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was looking at this earlier and apparently there's some demand:

http://www.godfathermuseum.blogspot....2_archive.html

It was pretty popular when it first aired, plus the chance to see all the deleted footage "in action" might sway a few people.

If the HD master is already done, then putting it on a couple of Bluray discs shouldn't be that hard.
Old 01-18-16, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I don't have much interest in it but I think it might do well in terms of sales.
Old 01-18-16, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The original Godfather came out in 1972. I think I was about 13 and in the 8th grade. I was invited to go see it with a couple classmates and I remember my mother being all nervous and jerky. I think the naked boobs bothered her more than the violence.

Although I appreciate how great the films are, I've never really been motivated to revisit them. I have the last Blu-ray box set I got several years ago for Christmas. It sits there unwatched. I opened the box just so when my uncle came over he wasn't insulted that I didn't use his present.
Old 01-18-16, 02:41 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I was looking at this earlier and apparently there's some demand:

http://www.godfathermuseum.blogspot....2_archive.html

It was pretty popular when it first aired, plus the chance to see all the deleted footage "in action" might sway a few people.

If the HD master is already done, then putting it on a couple of Bluray discs shouldn't be that hard.
That's a pretty good article, although it's not so much citing a demand as it is providing a history of the edits. I did enjoy the read however. If Paramount put an ounce of promotion into the chronological release, I'm sure it'll sell a few copies. But they wouldn't be bothered into doing anything like that.

Last edited by E Unit; 01-19-16 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-18-16, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I would buy this on blue ray. I recently gave up on waiting for it and acquired it through other means, simply because it wasn't available on disc.
Old 01-18-16, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Not to threadcrap, but is there really much demand for this? I've never understood the fascination with the chronological edit. It completely destroys the brilliance of the inter-cutting and juxtaposition in The Godfather II.
Old 01-18-16, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's story telling, and then there's hearing a story.

Sometimes flashbacks work and sometimes you just want to see a story progress from point A to point B.

I wouldn't expect it to replace the current versions, but as another way of hearing the story, it shouldn't bother you that it exists.
Old 01-18-16, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I wouldn't expect it to replace the current versions, but as another way of hearing the story, it shouldn't bother you that it exists.
Just to be clear, when I said, "I've never understood the fascination" that's exactly what I meant. I'm not bothered at all by its existence, just genuinely confused by the attention the chronological edit gets from time to time. I recognize the novelty, but it seems like something that the vast majority of fans who appreciate what makes Part II so good would either have little interest in or would only watch once for the sake of it. It doesn't strike me as a bankable, releasable thing on its own. That's just my 2 cents though.
Old 01-18-16, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Is this airing in HD? I can't see Paramount going to the expense of restoring all the deleted footage to acceptable HD quality and then creating a new HD master of 7+ hours of film.
Old 01-18-16, 04:30 PM
Banned by request

Yep, in HD.
Old 01-18-16, 05:22 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I agree that this should have been an extra feature for the Godfather collection on BD several years ago. Still, I understand the interest with the chronological order. It's something of a curiosity and it could be cool if Paramount decides to release it as a cheap BD.
Old 01-19-16, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always thought that this was a fantastic companion to the first two films. I would definitely buy it.
Old 01-19-16, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I thought the listing I saw made it sound like it was all three films edited together. I can't imagine ever watching even two in one sitting. The three films individually are long enough and frankly I have a somewhat hard time getting through them. I suppose you could split it up but that kind of defeats the point of a release like this.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-19-16 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-19-16, 03:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I flipped to this on HBO the other night when it was already 1/3 over with. The description said it would include all 3 movies, but the only thing that seemed to be included from part 3 was a shot at the very end of Al Pacino sitting in a chair looking contemplative.

Not that I'm complaining, but was a bit of false advertising.
Old 01-19-16, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

I've never understood the fascination with the chronological edit. It completely destroys the brilliance of the inter-cutting and juxtaposition in The Godfather II.
Old 01-19-16, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by BGPu
I flipped to this on HBO the other night when it was already 1/3 over with. The description said it would include all 3 movies, but the only thing that seemed to be included from part 3 was a shot at the very end of Al Pacino sitting in a chair looking contemplative.

It's HBO. And Paramount.

They're probably doing it to see how many people would be interested in a Blu-ray release.

If so, grab some Vaseline for your butt.
Old 01-19-16, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I think the appeal is seeing the deleted footage edited back into the movie. I tend to agree that the chronological order ruins the appeal of the second film.
Old 01-20-16, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BGPu

The description was wrong. The Godfather Epic aired on network television back in 1977 on NBC over four nights. FFC did it because he needed money for Apocalypse Now. The final shot of Al Pacino sitting in a chair looking contemplative is the final shot of Part II.
Old 01-21-16, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by zekeburger1979
The description was wrong. The Godfather Epic aired on network television back in 1977 on NBC over four nights. FFC did it because he needed money for Apocalypse Now. The final shot of Al Pacino sitting in a chair looking contemplative is the final shot of Part II.
In the mid-1990s, Paramount released "The Godfather Trilogy: 1901-1980" on VHS and Laserdisc. This consisted of the TV miniseries edit of Parts I & II, with Part III (which takes place chronologically after the others anyway) tacked onto the end basically unchanged.
Old 01-21-16, 10:50 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If there was a an exclusive commentary from Coppola to it? Sure. Otherwise... meh.
Old 01-21-16, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
If there was a an exclusive commentary from Coppola to it? Sure. Otherwise... meh.
Aren't all of the "new" scenes on the discs and deleted scenes anyway?
Old 01-29-16, 03:13 PM
Banned by request

The answer to the OP's question is apparently no, according to the thedigitalbits. So take it with a grain of salt if you prefer. But I'll wager it won't happen, at least not in the US.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/column...ts/012916_1215

Speaking of Coppola, I wanted to comment on the recent HBO broadcast of The Godfather Saga uncut and in HD. Industry sources tell me that it’s unlikely this version of the combined The Godfather and The Godfather, Part II will be released on disc. Director Francis Ford Coppola apparently just doesn’t want it to happen. So if you want it, the HBO broadcast may be your best chance to record it for long-term keeping. It’s not impossible there could be a home video release at some point, but I’m told it’s pretty unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.