Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

THE GOOD DINOSAUR: "Pixar"

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

THE GOOD DINOSAUR: "Pixar"

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-16, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: THE GOOD DINOSAUR: "Pixar"

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The Good Dinosaur was a big disappointment for Pixar. $200 million budget, just under $300 million worldwide gross, which is not enough to be profitable. (After marketing and distribution, it needed about $500 million to break even.)
Sad to hear that, but not surprised.

Originally Posted by Josh Z
It'll probably turn a profit with merchandising and home video, so it's not considered a flop, but it's certainly one of Pixar's worst performers.
I'll be picking up the Good Dinosaur (in 3D, of course), so I'll be doing my part. Not that it will help much as I'll probably wait until it hits the "previously viewed" marketplace.
Old 01-30-16, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Unfortunately, not even my desire to support 3D releases can convince me to buy The Good Dinosaur.
Old 02-01-16, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon2
True… but my concern is that Disney can set the tone for future 3D releases. Disney owns Marvel and Pixar. If Disney says jump, they'll ask "How high?" Considering the Ratatouille 3D Blu situation, that may have already happened.
Pixar has released 3D Blu-rays since the Ratatouille situation. Inside Out got a 3D release, and (as has been mentioned) The Good Dinosaur is scheduled for one as well.

I don't know why the Ratatouille or Incredibles 3D conversions weren't released in the United States. Given that both movies were directed by Brad Bird, it's possible that he either didn't want them converted to 3D or didn't approve of the results. I vaguely recall him poo-pooing the 3D format when asked why Tomorrowland wasn't released that way in theaters.

Although Marvel and Pixar are both owned by Disney, at the present moment they're both managed separately and can make their own decisions. (I'm not sure about Lucasfilm yet.) That may change in the future, but right now, things look good for continuing 3D support from both of those studios.
Old 02-01-16, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I guess I should have been aware but reading this thread over the weekend made me realize that this is already in the theaters, in fact, I just checked and it's already at the second run theater.

Wow. I can't remember being this disinterested in a Pixar film since Cars.
Old 02-01-16, 02:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's obvious that they had trouble with this one.

It might worked as a much shorter movie, but at its length, it's just too long with too little story wise to support it.