Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ditching Their BDs For UHD-BD Yet?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Anyone Ditching Their BDs For UHD-BD Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-15, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: Anyone Ditching Their BDs For UHD-BD Yet?

Originally Posted by bruceames
I won't be selling off any BDs but having UHD BD around the corner does affect my purchasing decisions for some movies. For example I held off buying the Goodfellas 4K remaster because I figured that would be one of the early UHD BD titles. Not saying I would buy the UHD BD day 1, but just don't want to buy a movie, only to have it be trumped by a better version a year or two later. Also any recent non-3D title on BD, or 4k remasters, I'm prone to pass for the same reason (unless it's super cheap).
Same here.

I have held off on buying some recent bluray movies mentioned in various UHD-BD press releases, such as: Chappie, Captain Phillips, Fury, Maze Runner, Kingsman, X-Men Days of Future Past, Amazing Spider Man 2, etc ...
Old 12-20-15, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by bruceames
Also any recent non-3D title on BD, or 4k remasters, I'm prone to pass for the same reason (unless it's super cheap).
Recently I purchased some of the Sony "remastered in 4K" titles, largely because I found them in local dump bins for around $5 a pop. (ie. The original Spiderman trilogy, Ghostbusters 1 and 2, Pineapple Express, etc ... I didn't have any of these movies previously). Ironically in the exact same dump bins, the older original bluray versions of these same movies were more than $5 (ie. around $7 or $8).

I would like to believe older stuff like Ghostbusters, Pineapple Express, Taxi Driver, etc ... would look outstanding in 4K with a larger color palette on UHD-BD. But I strongly suspect I am preparing myself for great disappointment.

Last edited by morriscroy; 12-20-15 at 10:21 AM.
Old 12-20-15, 10:08 AM

One immediate deal breaker for me, would be if the original unabridged Star Wars trilogy is 4K restored and released on UHD-BR.

Hopefully George Lucas didn't include any clauses in the 2012 sale of Lucasfilm to Disney, which prohibits the original trilogy from being released in their original form.

Last edited by morriscroy; 12-20-15 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-20-15, 10:45 AM

Received 513 Likes on 369 Posts

I'm ditching my BDs for streaming. So I definitely won't be getting any UHD-BDs.

I might eventually upgrade a few of my HDX movies to Vudu's UHD. But the prices would have to drop in half (currently $25-$30).

Last edited by TheBigDave; 12-20-15 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-20-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I don't have a TV big enough to make UHD worth it, and I probably never will. My TV's 50", and that's plenty big enough for the room it's in; any bigger would make the room look ridiculous; and unlike some here, I care about home decor as much as TV resolution.
Old 12-20-15, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

My wife wants us to move as much as possible to the cloud so I am cutting back on physical media overall, and I certainly won't be buying into UHD.

I'm still insisting on certain titles that I'll buy on Blu (Star Wars) but frankly I'm ready to let more and more be done digitally.
Old 12-20-15, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

It really sounds like UHD-BD will be a huge success based on the posts in this thread.

If members of a forum originated from and dedicated to physical movie media aren't on board with the new format, then there's no hope for it.

I won't be selling off any BDs for UHD-BD. In fact, I won't be jumping on UHD-BD at all. BD (for select titles) and streaming are enough for me. Don't need anything more.
Old 12-21-15, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm in the process of changing over some, not all, of my DVD's to blu. While the UHD would be better I agree, but changing to blu's is about as far as I will go. I already have been buying selected blu's that I already have on DVD the past few years. I can't continue to changeover again going from blu to UHD. It's too much.
Old 12-21-15, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I won't be jumping to UHD. Blu-ray will be my last physical format and I'm happy with streaming with Netflix and Hulu.
Old 12-21-15, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Some people can see the difference between DVD and BD on a 50" TV. How big does a TV have to be for someone to see the difference between BD and UBD?
Old 12-21-15, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Some people can see the difference between DVD and BD on a 50" TV. How big does a TV have to be for someone to see the difference between BD and UBD?
My recent experience has been in the quality of my TV.

In 2011 I bought a 46" Dynex brand (Best Buy brand) HDTV, thinking it's probably a decent enough TV for the money. The Blu-ray looked good but the DVDs looked pretty crappy.

Last month I bought a used Sony 40" HDTV and that TV made a huge improvement with DVDs. Even really bad quality titles like "Outland" on DVD looked decent enough on the Sony TV.

I found that having a decent TV (albeit a smaller screen too) has, for me, really narrowed the quality gap between DVD and Blu-ray.

DVDs look really solid. The Blu-rays are are still a little brighter, crisper and sharper but that's only with a direct comparison of the same film.

I imagine this will be much the same for UHD-BD and BD.
Old 12-21-15, 12:42 PM

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

^^ yep, I'll agree. Never understood the theory that you must have a certain sized TV to tell the difference. Remastering of the disc plays a HUGE role as well.
Old 12-21-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Nope. I still a ton of DVDs that I haven't ditched for BD.
Old 12-21-15, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

http://thoughtcatalog.com/christophe...99-samsung-tv/
Old 12-21-15, 07:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Nope. I still a ton of DVDs that I haven't ditched for BD.
Same here!
Old 12-21-15, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
For example, I'll be holding off on purchasing the Star Wars VII movie until I see it in 4K resolution.
The DI was 2K anyway, as it was for a number of the so-called 4K UHD releases. Even now, most movies use a 2K as opposed to 4K DI.

The first batch from Fox and Sony looks rather unimpressive and kinda boring.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2494927,00.asp
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/beh...-hd-blu-819136

zzzzzz
Lots of them are titles which were shot/rezzed at 2K anyway. Sounds kind of pointless.

One immediate deal breaker for me, would be if the original unabridged Star Wars trilogy is 4K restored and released on UHD-BR.
I would sell my soul to Lucifer for that. But given how long we've been waitinf for any announcement after the Disney acquisition even after their pushing of the originals, I'm not holding my breath.

Hopefully George Lucas didn't include any clauses in the 2012 sale of Lucasfilm to Disney, which prohibits the original trilogy from being released in their original form.
I'm pessimist enough to have considered this many a time.

My friends usually mock me for re-buying a movie on Blu-ray, insisting that upscaled DVDs mostly look the same.
Old 12-22-15, 07:11 AM

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

Something I've been wondering, not sure if this is the right thread, if not maybe someone can tell me where to ask this. I was wondering how 1080p content looks on a 4K TV? Does it have an upscaled look, the same as a DVD on an HDTV? In theory, since the resolution is exactly 4 times the resolution of HDTV, couldn't they just basically show each pixel four times, meaning the quality of 1080p on a 4K TV would be the exact same as if it was an HDTV? That seems like it would be better than upscaling.
Old 12-22-15, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by joltman
couldn't they just basically show each pixel four times
"Nearest neighbor" type algorithms are very simple, but they generally look kinda "blocky" and very crappy.
Old 12-22-15, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I still have a ton of VHS which are surprisingly watchable after my tv does a little magic to the input.
Old 12-22-15, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I still have a ton of VHS which are surprisingly watchable after my tv does a little magic to the input.
I have at least gotten a better appreciation for SP vs. SLP.
Old 06-12-16, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

But unfortunately one of the first dvds I purchased turned out to be defective. My first copy of Terminator 2 was defective, where it froze within the first 20 minutes into the movie. This very much immediately changed my mind about optical discs, literally overnight and very abruptly...
If it was the "Ultimate Edition" T2, there may have been nothing wrong with your disc, but with your player; it was one of the first DVDs to use seamless branching for putting multiple edits of the film on the disc, and some players had issues with them:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-th...cult-dvds.html

I remember exchanging my first DVD player, an Apex, for a newer Apex at Circuit City specifically because it wouldn't play T2.
Old 06-17-16, 07:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope. I don't give this format a snowball's chance in hell. For most, it is a pointless upgrade.
Old 06-17-16, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't even gone out to look at a 4K television. So no for the time being.
Old 06-17-16, 08:45 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronSch
Nope. I don't give this format a snowball's chance in hell. For most, it is a pointless upgrade.
Not really, especially for newer movies filmed in HD. Then there's the upcoming 4k TV onslaught. And when 4k sets are about the same price as 1080p, then we'll see the adoption rate increase, along with the adoption of 4k media, both physical and streaming.
Old 06-17-16, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Nope.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.