Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney Animated Classics 2016 Blu-ray (and UHD?) releases

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Walt Disney Animated Classics 2016 Blu-ray (and UHD?) releases

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts
Re: Walt Disney Animated Classics 2016 Blu-ray (and UHD?) releases

Snow White looks like a pretty uninspiring re-release intent on getting consumers double-dipping for that digital copy.
Old 01-31-16, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I'll probably still get it because I didn't get the first release.
Old 02-01-16, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Any word on what's being released in the fall?
Given the new tagline for the movie series I'm guessing Pinocchio. And unlike Snow White, hopefully they do a new transfer to fix the few issues.
Old 02-01-16, 08:41 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Hopefully they'll have a promo on the Snow White disc showing the upcoming releases.
Old 02-01-16, 08:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Given the new tagline for the movie series I'm guessing Pinocchio. And unlike Snow White, hopefully they do a new transfer to fix the few issues.
What were the "issues"?
Old 02-01-16, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
What were the "issues"?
The most glaring was Pinocchio's clothes changing color during the "I Have No Strings" scene. There used to be some caps out there showing this, but now I can't find them. Could have been deleted in the many years since the first reviews of the disc. There also was a lot of controversy about there being some color timing changes throughout the whole movie. I always take those with a grain of salt, but some of the comparisons were pretty compelling. Again, can't find the caps.

There also was an audio dialogue issue. There was an exchange program for that, hopefully these ship with the correction.
Old 06-20-16, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Beauty and the Beast 25th Anniversary will be the fall Signature Collection release.

Digital HD artwork:

Last edited by TheBang; 07-08-16 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-20-16, 08:18 AM
Banned by request

I'm curious if they're going to include the 3D. I'm also wondering if they plan on going 4k at any point with the classics.
Old 06-20-16, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Should have released on the classics Walt actually was involved in for the "Signature" line before jumping to one that was produced long after his death.
Old 06-20-16, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's to tie in with the liveaction BatB being released next spring. It's what Walt would have wanted.
Old 06-20-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

It's kind of weird seeing Walt's autograph on things he was in no way involved with.

BTW : That cover in hideous.
Old 06-20-16, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

of course, I just bought the 3d import.
Old 06-20-16, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

So when they want to re-release their famous titles, they just create a new line. Yet a number of Gold Collection titles from the DVD days have yet to make the jump to BD.
Old 06-20-16, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by sauce07
of course, I just bought the 3d import.
I don't think these re-releases bring anything new to the table besides a digital copy.
Old 06-20-16, 04:28 PM
Banned by request

That's not really new since the last release with the 3D came with a digital copy. Rather that was when you just put the Disney Movie Rewards code in, then when they linked with UV it was turned into a digital copy.
Old 06-21-16, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
I don't think these re-releases bring anything new to the table besides a digital copy.
That's not true for the premium line (Diamond/Signature). Every release has at least a couple new features.

The non-premium titles have been gradually and silently re-releasing with Digital HD recently and no other changes.

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Yet a number of Gold Collection titles from the DVD days have yet to make the jump to BD.
Only 5 titles at this point, see OP.
Old 06-21-16, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Many of the new releases in each line have also lost worthy existing features along the way in favor of new features that may or may not have anything to do with the actual movie being released. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this "Signature" release of BatB loses some of the best features from the "Diamond" release in favor of a new feature going on about the live action movie.
Old 06-21-16, 09:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'Disney will likely continue their strategy of serving a growing niche audience via The Disney Movie Club. Many titles will only be available via their own website. In a way it is a better strategy than licensing out their titles to smaller distributors like Kino/Lorber, Olive Films, Shout/Scream Factory, Criterion and Arrow. It enables Disney to maintain greater control of their library. So hopefully, much of what we are hoping to see released will likely take the path of titles such as "Return to OZ," "Treasure Island" and others. Some classic titles like "Alice in Wonderland," "Pocahontas," and "Mulan" have already been re-released in new packaging exclusively for Disney Club Members.

The only two Disney titles I have not been able to reacquire for my collection in pristine condition are "Beauty and the Beast" and Pinocchio." I am hoping that the 3D package of "Beauty and the Beast" will drop in price via resellers when the "Signature Edition" is released. If not, as others have mentioned I'll simply buy the import 3D and pop it into the new Signature Edition case. I won't be buying a used copy of the Platinum Edition of "Pinocchio" simply because there was a missing dialog track on the original release and we are way past the ability to exchange the disc via Disney. So, buying a used copy is a gamble because there is no guarantee that the original owner actually did the exchange. That disc's issues were significant enough to look forward to the next release.

Last edited by AaronSch; 06-21-16 at 09:49 AM.
Old 06-21-16, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by TheBang
That's not true for the premium line (Diamond/Signature). Every release has at least a couple new features.
Yeah, I guess a couple of useless new special features at the expense of previous special features.

Sleeping Beauty :
Recycled Extras: a full Audio Commentary with John Lasseter, Leonard Maltin and Andreas Deja, "Picture Perfect: The Making of Sleeping Beauty", "Eyvind Earle: The Man And His Art", and "The Sound of Beauty: Restoring a Classic".

Missing in Action: the invaluable "Cine-Explore" Mode originally paired with the commentary, the pre-show Grand Canyon short, a handful of short Featurettes including a tour of the Disneyland attraction, a few Storyboards and Art Galleries, "The Peter Tchaikovsky Story", Deleted Songs, an Alternate Opening and more. Some of the lesser vintage supplements (a Music Video, Games & Activities, etc.) aren't missed...but most of this material was fantastic, and the loss of it greatly reduces this release's appeal. Luckily, used copies of the Platinum Edition are still easy to find.

So, what's new?
Surprise, surprise, most of the new stuff is nothing more than thematic tie-ins for Maleficent. The best of the bunch is "Art of Evil: Generations Of Disney Villains" (10 minutes), in which animator Andreas Deja and other Disney artists explain how the influence of classic baddies has profoundly shaped their artistic style. Also here is "Disney Animation: Artists in Motion" (5 minutes), a like-minded featurette hosted by artist Brittney Lee as she creates a neat Maleficent sculpture out of paper. Three never-before-seen Deleted Scenes (3 clips, 11 minutes total) are also here, albeit in enhanced storyboard form. Of lesser interest are "Once Upon A Parade" (9 minutes, starring Modern Family's Sarah Hyland) and "Once Upon A Dream" (3 minutes), an animated karaoke-style presentation of the famous song.
Snow White :
Recycled extras: a full Audio Commentary with Roy E. Disney, historian John Canemaker, and Walt Disney himself (via original audio interviews, of course), an abridged version of the exhaustive interactive Hyperion Studios Tour (now just a 30-minute highlight reel), a Snow White Returns featurette, a longer version of "The One That Started It All" (re-titled "Disney's First Feature", and now 33 minutes instead of 16), a pair of Deleted Scenes and Story Meetings, a Voice Talent featurette (6 minutes), and "Bringing Snow White to Life" (11 minutes).

New to this release: mostly a handful of good to not-so-good Featurettes about the film's production and legacy. The most prominent is "In Walt's Words" (4 minutes), a short collection of audio interview clips about the film paired with vintage photographs. "Disney Animation: Designing Disney's First Princess" (5 minutes) speaks with artists Mark Henn, Lorelay Bove, Michael Giaimo, and Bill Schwab as they break down the film's unique visuals, while the like-minded "Iconography" offers a broader examination of the film's lasting popularity. "The Fairest Facts of Them All: 7 Things You May Not Know About Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" (5 minutes) is a brief and somewhat interesting trivia session with actress Sofia Carson, while the much less interesting "Snow White In Seventy Seconds" is an obnoxious rap recap of the film (yes, really). Finally, "The Prince Meets Snow White" is a new alternate sequence featuring a deleted meeting between the two characters, with new vocal dubs and original sketches.

Missing in action: A good chunk of the previously mentioned interactive "Hyperion Studios" Tour, which included a handful of Storyboard-to-Screen Comparisons, Camera Tests and other pre-production material, "Disney Through the Decades", a Scrapbook of memorabilia, vintage RKO Promotional Items, Trailers and Radio Commercials, and much more, some of which dated back to the 2001 Special Edition DVD. Some of the lesser vintage extras (Music Videos, Games & Activities, etc.) aren't missed...but most of this material was fantastic, and the loss of it greatly reduces this release's appeal. Luckily, used copies of the Diamond Edition are a little easier to find now.
Old 06-21-16, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More than ever before the mantra should be hold on to those previously released Disney discs. Used to be because the new transfer could be less than ideal. Now it's that many of the features may have been dropped.
Old 06-22-16, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

It seems Pinocchio is the one that has the longest wait since the last release came out in 2009.
Old 06-22-16, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The pre-order is up on the DMC site, along with what is apparently the final cover art:

Old 06-24-16, 07:42 PM
Banned by request

Word on the street is that this release of Beauty and the Beast will contain the work print version, but as a digital only option. In its place will be the sing-a-long version on the disc.
Old 06-24-16, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here's the official site:

http://movies.disney.com/beauty-and-the-beast

And the special features (new features in bold):
  • Original Theatrical Version
  • "Human Again" Branched Version (aka Extended Edition)
  • Theatrical Sing-Along Song Version
  • Alan Menken & Friends: A Tribute
  • Always Belle...
  • #1047: Walt, Fairy Tales & Beauty and the Beast
  • The Recording Sessions
  • 25 Fun Facts About Beauty and the Beast

Digital Copy features:
  • Work-In-Progress / PIP Version
  • Beauty and the Beast (live action) Sneak Peek
  • Hours of Classic Bonus

Old 06-25-16, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBang
Digital Copy features:

Work-In-Progress / PIP Version
Beauty and the Beast (live action) Sneak Peek
Hours of Classic Bonus
So back to online only classic features. Unbelievable. Wonder how many will unload their old copies only to realize they just gave up the better package.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.