Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

What Twilight Time BDs Do You Own?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

What Twilight Time BDs Do You Own?

Old 11-23-15, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: What Twilight Time BDs Do You Own?

I don't own any. There are a couple I'm interested in but I refuse to pay those prices, especially when I can get Criterions from B&N for
Old 11-23-15, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ho boy...doing this from memory (if I miss one, I'll come back and edit):

Body Double
Disappearance, The
Fabulous Baker Boys, The (Ordered)
Front, The
Harlock: Space Pirate (Pre-Order)
John Carpenter's Vampires
Journey to the Center of the Earth (re-issue)
Rollerball
Used Cars
Wild at Heart
Zardoz

Last edited by Kedrix; 11-23-15 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Yep, I forgot a couple.
Old 11-23-15, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

few I forgot about making my list

Used Cars
killer Elite
Khartoum
Fate is The Hunter
Old 11-23-15, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 895 Likes on 720 Posts

Now we know who has LOTS of disposable income! Paul_SD, I'm looking at you! Would like to own some of these, but can't justify the costs. I can buy 5-6 normally released catalog titles for the cost of ONE Twilight Time title. There's lots of gaps I'd rather fill in my collection before catering to TTs inflated prices. Same for Code Red titles, through they're "a little" more reasonable at $19-$24.
Old 11-23-15, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Now we know who has LOTS of disposable income! Paul_SD, I'm looking at you! Would like to own some of these, but can't justify the costs. I can buy 5-6 normally released catalog titles for the cost of ONE Twilight Time title. There's lots of gaps I'd rather fill in my collection before catering to TTs inflated prices. Same for Code Red titles, through they're "a little" more reasonable at $19-$24.
I was going to list my titles, but since we're going to get called out for it, I think I'll pass.
Old 11-23-15, 04:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I was going to list my titles, but since we're going to get called out for it, I think I'll pass.
I don't blame you. Next you'll be criticized for spending your disposable income on TT blu-rays instead of donating it all to the poor.
Old 11-23-15, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

don't let that stop you.

I seriously doubt my "disposable income" is really any greater than the average poster here. I just tend to throw what there is of it in a narrower direction.
I've also been buying the TT titles since they started, so those were amassed over 4 or 5 years.
Old 11-23-15, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Speaking for myself. There are titles I want to own, and those I don't. Among those I want to own I prioritize what I buy according to how bad I want the title as opposed to price. The very first BDs I bought was the Bond 50 set because of all the movies ever made I wanted them the most. Then I bought the Harryhausen and Universal Monster sets because of all the movies available on BD I wanted them the most. On down the line. Among the TT titles I have there are those I pre-ordered and those I waited to get because, although I wanted them, I didn't want them as much as the ones I pre-ordered. If I want a $30 title more than three $10 titles, I'll buy the $30 title and worry about the three cheaper ones later. Vice verse.
Old 11-23-15, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I only own four Twilight Time titles, and I had to do some things I'm not proud of.. But dammit, I own John Carpenter's Vampires now.
Old 11-23-15, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

At Close Range
The Big Heat
Body Double
Breaking Away
John Carpenter's Vampires
Wild at Heart

BTW - I just found out you can buy the clear cases directly from TT if you're into the whole uniformity thing.
Old 11-23-15, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I learned my lesson with TT back in March, when I went on a huge binge of sale titles and new releases just because I could afford it (at the time).
Between blind buys that didn't do it for me, and seeing Arrow come along and soundly trump the TT releases in all respects, I made a vow going forward to delay as many purchases as possible to an anniversary sale.

I'll grab a few things in this current sale- but after that they're going to have to announce a title I truly care about/desperately want to keep me from waiting for anniversary '17 to make another purchase.
These sales are like a double-edged sword for them. The more they have them and the longer they last, the more likely people will just wait for the sale instead of paying the $30 preorder price. Which will then have a snowball effect of course.

Plus as you say there's always the decent chance that it will get trumped by Arrow later on(or someone else).

So it's ironic. The limited edition model was intended to create a sense of urgency, so that their movies wouldn't be put at the back of the line. But now it seems there is every reason to wait.
Old 11-23-15, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

But then there's an even greater chance of them selling out during the sale. I think the limited quantities suck more than anything else about Twilight Time. Other releases go out of print too, but at least they're usually easier and cheaper to get while they're out.
Old 11-23-15, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
But then there's an even greater chance of them selling out during the sale. I think the limited quantities suck more than anything else about Twilight Time. Other releases go out of print too, but at least they're usually easier and cheaper to get while they're out.
Some eventually sell out, but I don't think the sellout rate has increased at all since they started having the annual sale. If anything I think their units sold per title has decreased. They have lots of competition now. A lot of catalog got released this year.
Old 11-24-15, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read on another thread that they still have 2,000 copies of Vampires in the warehouse. This was supposed to sell out quickly because it's Carpenter and in the horror genre. Maybe folks are starting to wise up.
Old 11-24-15, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 970 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I read on another thread that they still have 2,000 copies of Vampires in the warehouse. This was supposed to sell out quickly because it's Carpenter and in the horror genre. Maybe folks are starting to wise up.
I don't think anyone really thought Vampires would sell out 5000 units quickly, did they? Other than the Fright Night reissue, nothing has really sold out quickly in a couple of years. Even the Blob, which is much higher profile than Vampires, took a few weeks to sell 5000. I don't think folks are starting to wise up so much as Vampires just isn't that popular and people greatly overestimate the fervor surrounding TT titles.
Old 11-24-15, 09:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

maybe because it's a crap film to begin with
Old 11-24-15, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well whatever fervor there is, it isn't what it used to be. It's hard to keep the loyal fan base preordering at the $30 price tag when you have multiple sales in a year (and this one lasting almost a month).
Old 11-24-15, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are there any titles other than the Fright Night re-release that are true special editions, with new extras and the like? So far I have only picked up Fright Night.
Old 11-24-15, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts

BTW - I just found out you can buy the clear cases directly from TT if you're into the whole uniformity thing.
Thanks for mentioning this. I wasn't aware of it. I keep all my TT discs grouped together on my shelf (between the Criterions and the Warner Archive discs). The case color thing has indeed been bugging me. Now I've got to go home and count how many TT discs I have in the blue cases.
Old 11-24-15, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have all my TT titles grouped together as well (just like Criterion). Only a couple have the clear case though, so not worth swapping out the rest for uniformity's sake (especially since I like to order them roughly in order of release date, so the blue and clear cases will be segregated anyway).
Old 11-24-15, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I don't think anyone really thought Vampires would sell out 5000 units quickly, did they? Other than the Fright Night reissue, nothing has really sold out quickly in a couple of years. Even the Blob, which is much higher profile than Vampires, took a few weeks to sell 5000. I don't think folks are starting to wise up so much as Vampires just isn't that popular and people greatly overestimate the fervor surrounding TT titles.
The buzz was that it would sell out the first week. Some enthusiastic folks even predicted a day or two. That they still have 40% of the run available came as a surprise to me.

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Thanks for mentioning this. I wasn't aware of it. I keep all my TT discs grouped together on my shelf (between the Criterions and the Warner Archive discs). The case color thing has indeed been bugging me. Now I've got to go home and count how many TT discs I have in the blue cases.
Yes indeed, Sir. Just to be clear, it's the TT website, not SAE that sells them.
Old 11-24-15, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 895 Likes on 720 Posts

Hey, that was sardonically posted, coming from the vantage point of my having spent outrageous sums on laserdiscs 25-30 years ago, when a cheap title was considered to be $30. Thankfully, I never did spend $79.95 on any VHS, however! I guess I just learned my lesson, and have been "spoiled" by sell-through pricing. And a little more discretionary in spending as I've gotten older. So, in light of that, $30 seems like gouging, and it has struck a nerve. The increased number of "sales" TT is having seems to bear out the fact the the market won't bear their inflated pricing tiers.

Titles I'd like to own include MYSTERIOUS ISLAND and ENEMY MINE, but now they're sold out and paying Ebay's prices is even more against my grain than paying TT's.
Old 11-24-15, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Forgot about BB&C. One of the most enjoyable blind buys for me of the last several years.

I've also owned, but sold off- Big Heat (unopened), Thunderbolt & Lightfoot (unopened), The Fury, The Blob.
I watched Mysterious Island, enjoyed it, and promptly sold it off for an indecent profit. Tempted to buy it again but will probably take my chances until March and see if it is included in the expected anniversary sale.

The previous ease I had in selling off OoP TT's (before Amazon changed it's policies) was one big reason to over indulge at the higher price points.
That off the table is forcing me to be more selective and patient.

Though ironically, now that my interest in soundtracks has been rekindled, that scramble to get something before it falls OoP is back in full force.
What policy did Amazon change that stops selling blurays?
Old 11-24-15, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Titles I'd like to own include MYSTERIOUS ISLAND and ENEMY MINE, but now they're sold out and paying Ebay's prices is even more against my grain than paying TT's.
They will be re-releasing Mysterious Island in a couple of weeks. You can preorder it now (for the usual price) at the SAE site.
Old 11-24-15, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 970 Likes on 683 Posts

The buzz was that it would sell out the first week. Some enthusiastic folks even predicted a day or two. That they still have 40% of the run available came as a surprise to me.
Yeah, there was no chance Vampires was going to sell out that quickly. I think the drama surrounding Fright Night and Christine (and NotLD for different reasons) completely skews people's perception of TT sell-outs. Especially now that they're doing runs of 5000 on higher profile titles, it would take something really special to sell out that quickly.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.