Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray you're surprised is not in your collection?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 08-22-15, 08:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

So I was wondering, did you guys have a particular movie that is on bluray that for one reason or another have not picked up or maybe just forgot to add it?

So I was shocked to learn today that I did not have a particular favorite upgraded in my collection. No reason why I think I just forgot about...

Boyz N The Hood

I've since rectified but it was fun knowing I didn't have it and was fun to pick it up at a good price.
Old 08-22-15, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: Blu-ray you're surprised is not in your collection?

I don't have Rocky on Blu-ray. A movie I normally would acquire but I've never gotten around to it.
Old 08-22-15, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Indiana Jones Trilogy.
Old 08-22-15, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The Wanderers. It was released in Germany.
Old 08-22-15, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

If you would have told me 10 years ago that there would be a high-def version of Star Wars and I didn't own it, I would have said you were nuts.
Old 08-23-15, 12:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2001: A Space Odyssey. It's in my top 5 favorite films and yet not in my collection.
Old 08-23-15, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I have a list of 300+ blu's that I'm surprised are not in my collection. Well not surprised as much as disappointed.
Old 08-23-15, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
If you would have told me 10 years ago that there would be a high-def version of Star Wars and I didn't own it, I would have said you were nuts.
While I do own the nine disc saga set ( bought it used), I'm getting increasingly surprised (and angry) that I don't own the original unaltered versions on Bluray.

Really starting to worry that it's not going to happen, I thought Disney would have lit a fire under somebody to make it happen right away.

============================

As for any other titles, I have over 1300 DVDs and Blus, and my purchasing is way down because I have most of what I need. There's a few upcoming titles like Army of Darkness and Inside Out (I always get every Pixar movie), but otherwise I'm set.

Edit: I did think of something: I used to have Star Trek TNG on DVD and if you've seen them, you know they're pretty crappy transfers (even for DVD). When the TNG HD restoration was announced, we quickly sold our DVDs to recoup some of our cost, but by the time the Blurays came out, we had gotten pretty heavily into streaming services. I have all the Trek movies on DVD or Blu, and I have the original release of TOS on DVD (the orange case versions) (oh, and also TAS on DVD), but I really have no interest in buying any other Trek series on DVD. It will *always* be available somewhere for streaming.

I am a longtime Trekkie, I got into DVD originally for Trek (and because I thought Star Wars would be close behind ) so I guess I'm pretty surprised that I don't have TOS and TNG on Bluray.

Last edited by milo bloom; 08-23-15 at 12:15 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 08-23-15, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I figured I would automatically upgrade every Disney film to BR but I think Jungle Book and Little Mermaid were the only ones so far

Star Wars I'm just not a big enough fan boy to keep rebuying those things. VHS, LD then DVD is enough for me.
Old 08-23-15, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
So I was wondering, did you guys have a particular movie that is on bluray that for one reason or another have not picked up or maybe just forgot to add it?

So I was shocked to learn today that I did not have a particular favorite upgraded in my collection. No reason why I think I just forgot about...

Boyz N The Hood

I've since rectified but it was fun knowing I didn't have it and was fun to pick it up at a good price.
Quite a few movies from the late 70's to early 90's which weren't necessarily popular films, but the issue with me is taking the chance on the transfers when these movies are not cheap. For example, Teachers from Olive Films. About $15...when it's on sale. I might get it anyway as I haven't seen it for a long time and it's an excellent cast of characters.
Old 08-23-15, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Tombstone...one of my all time favorite movies. Stunned I never got around to buying it on blu. But then again I haven't watched it recently either.
Old 08-23-15, 09:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Tombstone...one of my all time favorite movies. Stunned I never got around to buying it on blu. But then again I haven't watched it recently either.
holy shit. just discovered i don't have this on Blu either. fixed!
Old 08-24-15, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I was just about to come in here and say the same exact thing. But then I think has there really been a good version either domestic or otherwise of Tombstone? I rather hold onto my DVD SE until that's been rectified.
Old 08-24-15, 10:19 AM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

The Godfather series. Hell, I don't even own them on DVD!
I keep planning to buy it but I always end up with some schlocky horror movie instead.
Old 08-24-15, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Old 08-24-15, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

I guess I never answered this question in the previous thread, but both of the below, primarily because of cost. Indiana Jones appears to have settled in at $35 on Amazon, which is probably good enough, but it doesn't feel urgent to me. Obviously there are issues with Star Wars, but I'd still get it at the right price as I don't expect anything better any time soon.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Indiana Jones Trilogy.
Old 08-27-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Same here regarding Star Wars. I wish that 6 movie edition would drop in price. I don't think I've ever seen it for less than $80.

I have the Indiana Jones trilogy, but for a brief moment thought about not getting it since it comes with "Skull". After getting it I also thought about throwing the disc for Skull in my fireplace. Haven't done it...yet.
Old 08-27-15, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Wall-E
Old 08-27-15, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Any of the Back To The Future films
Old 08-28-15, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, none are surprising because I know exactly why I don't own them (hard to find, too expensive, poor quality release, other purchases have taken priority over, etc.). On the other hand, yes, there are a bunch I would have thought I'd have acquired by now but still haven't.
Old 08-28-15, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Any of the Star Wars films as others have stated above....Ummmm I guess the Rocky movies, just lazy I guess in getting a deal. Any of the Disney Classics I'm missing....but I'm joining/rejoining the DMC so that should help close that gap.
Old 08-28-15, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,149 Likes on 899 Posts

Despite getting all the other seasons release week I have yet to pick up Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Complete Seventh Season or the All Good Things "movie" disc. I still intend on getting them both eventually but after buying all the other sets full price and seeing them discounted I decided to wait on the last one hoping to get a deal on it.
Old 08-28-15, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Didn't know Barry Gibb was also an actor.
Old 08-28-15, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Still haven't picked up any Star Wars. Were there any new changes/alterations from the DVD versions? I have the very first, direct from theater DVDs of prequels and the silver(for ws, fs was gold) set of original trilogy.
Also, have they been heavily DNRed? Wal-Mart was playing one in the tv section once when I was in there. Looked almost like a cartoon. May have been tv settings.
Old 08-31-15, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Still haven't picked up any Star Wars. Were there any new changes/alterations from the DVD versions? I have the very first, direct from theater DVDs of prequels and the silver(for ws, fs was gold) set of original trilogy.
Also, have they been heavily DNRed? Wal-Mart was playing one in the tv section once when I was in there. Looked almost like a cartoon. May have been tv settings.
Yes, more alterations, little tweaks here and there, if you can put up with the SEs, then those won't bother you.

And they look amazing, remember TVs in stores have their brightness turned way up and they also have that "motion smoothing" thing turned on.

Edit: btw, the prequels had minor changes on DVD: TPM had the pod race extended and a minor scene added when they first arrive on Coruscant.
AOTC had a tweak to when Padme falls out of the gun ship. ROTS had some scene wipes tweaked.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.