Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Article: Blu-Ray Producers Say Studios Should Shift Expectations About Physical Media

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Article: Blu-Ray Producers Say Studios Should Shift Expectations About Physical Media

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-15, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Article: Blu-Ray Producers Say Studios Should Shift Expectations About Physical M

It's disgusting how studios haven't been called out on this "early digital" scheme- I liken it to when movies were available on DIVX discs before they were on regular DVD. I wonder if the filmmakers even have any say in whether or not this gets done with their movies?
Old 07-19-15, 06:49 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Article: Blu-Ray Producers Say Studios Should Shift Expectations About Physical M

Called out for what? If people want to see it before it comes out on BD/DVD.... how is that wrong?
Old 07-19-15, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Yeah, and folks will pay, within reason, to see it early. Everyone wins. What's the filmmaker going to say? They already got paid a shitload of money.
Old 07-19-15, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It's disgusting how studios haven't been called out on this "early digital" scheme- ....
I think it's funny. The studios will try every scheme they can dream up, except price DVDs/Blu-Rays to move.

It's like an industry that fears success. You could hand them everything on a golden platter and they would still fuck it up.

With streaming, the movie/tv studios could have EVERYONE paying 50¢ each and every time they watch a movie or TV show. 100% VOD. That's the REAL potential of digital distribution.

Not the best analogy, but have you ever been in a club/bar and watched people pump quarters into the juke box all night long? Multipy that by about 120+ million american households.

Edit: The first time I heard of "digital purchases", I thought, "They don't get it". You don't want to SELL anything online. You want to keep the meter running like gas & electric.

Last edited by dvdshonna; 07-19-15 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-20-15, 06:30 AM

Called out for what? If people want to see it before it comes out on BD/DVD.... how is that wrong?
Because they could just as easily have released the discs at the same time they made the movies available for "digital sell-thru", but they're intentionally crippling the physical formats by giving digital an advantage. (And you can't "rent" them through the digital services early either if you just want to see them- they're clearly trying to push people towards digital purchases.) I get that some people actually like to buy their movies that way and they should have that choice, but by giving digital this advantage it's clear that the industry wants to move as many people as possible to it.
Old 07-20-15, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

First digital forced out film, now it's forcing out physical media. It's lousy if your a consumer, but it makes a whole lot of sense if you're running a studio.
Old 07-20-15, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Because they could just as easily have released the discs at the same time they made the movies available for "digital sell-thru", but they're intentionally crippling the physical formats by giving digital an advantage. (And you can't "rent" them through the digital services early either if you just want to see them- they're clearly trying to push people towards digital purchases.) I get that some people actually like to buy their movies that way and they should havhe that choice, but by giving digital this advantage it's clear that the industry wants to move as many people as possible to it.
That's the whole point. The studio want to maximize digital sales and eventually get at least most sales in that direction. More profits.

Besides, it's easier for studios to have the digital files done early. Rather than having to go through the whole chain of replication and distribution, they can just make it available immediately.
Old 07-20-15, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
Whether something is overpriced is always relative.

In 1984 I was 11 years old and saved up my paper route money all summer to buy a used copy of Raiders of the Lost Ark from the local video store for $30.

I was over-the-moon at what a deal I got!

At the time movies weren't available at the mall and a blank VHS tape was $15. Minimum wage at the time was probably $3.85/hr, to give you some perspective.

Today, we have $8/month Netflix and one can download anything they want, legal or otherwise.

That $20 you pay for a new release is more than just manufacturing costs, which is probably less than a buck. It pays the actors, director, set decorator, gaffers, "best boys" and everyone else involved in the film.

It also helps in getting new movies made.

Even knowing that, I agree it's tough dropping $20 on a single disc when there are plenty of cheaper alternatives.
It's absolutely relative. We value a movie according to how much we can get it for. Redbox made movies worth a dollar, and Netflix made them worth nothing. A movie rental used to be worth $5. Now that's how much we want to pay for a BD that we can watch over and over again. $20 for a BD used to seem pretty competitive compared to a one-shot night in a movie theater.

Originally Posted by bruceames
No, digital rentals are under the VOD category. EST only includes video purchases (although I don't know if it's limited to only movies or TV shows, it probably includes all videos).
Yep, TV shows are in EST. No digital rental for TV shows yet in our market (not sure about internationally).

It's disgusting how studios haven't been called out on this "early digital" scheme- I liken it to when movies were available on DIVX discs before they were on regular DVD. I wonder if the filmmakers even have any say in whether or not this gets done with their movies?
Next, we should call out studios on their "releasing movies in theaters before disc" scheme!
Old 07-20-15, 01:52 PM

DVDs will most likely be dying for the next 20 to 30 years.

I'm more concerned about the decline of T&A in movies. Hollywood needs to get back to it's roots and start making more movies like "Under The Skin".
Old 07-20-15, 03:09 PM

.....they're clearly trying to push people towards digital purchases.) I get that some people actually like to buy their movies that way and they should have that choice, but by giving digital this advantage it's clear that the industry wants to move as many people as possible to it.
And I want to bang Scarlett Johansson. It's wishful thinking.

Here's a plan:
Everyone's tired of buying my sports cards. I'm only getting $5 for cards that use to easily sell for $20.

So what if I store the cards for my customers and they can look at a "digital" pic of the card whenever they want to see it. And ofcourse pay me $20 again.

Does this sound retarded? WRONG!!! It's the "digital future".
Old 07-20-15, 03:44 PM

Next, we should call out studios on their "releasing movies in theaters before disc" scheme!
Yes, because they've only been showing movies in theaters for about 100 years, and traditionally that's ALWAYS been the first place they've been shown. Have they been releasing movies on "digital" for that long?
Old 07-20-15, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvdshonna
And I want to bang Scarlett Johansson. It's wishful thinking.

Here's a plan:
Everyone's tired of buying my sports cards. I'm only getting $5 for cards that use to easily sell for $20.

So what if I store the cards for my customers and they can look at a "digital" pic of the card whenever they want to see it. And ofcourse pay me $20 again.

Does this sound retarded? WRONG!!! It's the "digital future".

Just like comic books. If I can find the digital equivalent of one I'll use Comixology.
Old 07-20-15, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

Yes, because they've only been showing movies in theaters for about 100 years, and traditionally that's ALWAYS been the first place they've been shown. Have they been releasing movies on "digital" for that long?
I don't see a conflict. Movie theaters worked on a pay-per-view model. Streaming media works on a pay-per-view model.

But selling physical media (for the price of a single theater ticket!) that allows the consumer to view it as many times as he wants is an example of short-term thinking. Sure you make a quick profit for a few years, but then what?
Old 07-20-15, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Just like comic books. If I can find the digital equivalent of one I'll use Comixology.
Good point. Comixology makes more sense than my new "digital card" service.

I'm not surprised. If they have kindle for books, I assumed they would have comics online.

Edit: Just checking out the site. Pretty cool, but holy shit, the prices were giving me a heart attack.

(This should sound familiar) Have you ever tried buying used comics on facebook or craigslist?

I used to buy from the Diamond Distributor at about 60% of cover and barely made a profit. I started buying used comics at 5¢/10¢ each and guys would show up with truck loads. A lot of them were beat up, but I was still blowing them out at 25¢ and cashing in.

Last edited by dvdshonna; 07-20-15 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-20-15, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good point. Comixology makes more sense than my new "digital card" service.

I'm not surprised. If they have kindle for books, I assumed they would have comics online.

Edit: Just checking out the site. Pretty cool, but holy shit, the prices were giving me a heart attack.

(This should sound familiar) Have you ever tried buying used comics on facebook or craigslist?

I used to buy from the Diamond Distributor at about 60% of cover and barely made a profit. I started buying used comics at 5¢/10¢ each and guys would show up with truck loads. A lot of them were beat up, but I was still blowing them out at 25¢ and cashing in.

I don't buy all that much from Comixology just the Dredd stuff and am currently reading Mad Max. Never bought comics anywhere outside of comic shops or book stores.

Amazon owns Comixology now, too.
Old 07-20-15, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

They just need to make every Blu release amazing. Commentaries, gag reels, trivia tracks, docus, stars promoting said movie on variety shows, everything possible just put it on there. Make it worth it, even to people who don't care about picture quality. I get tired of bare bones blus. Not to long ago I bought Escape From New York on blu only to find out that it had less special features than my fucking VHS copy. Every set should be alien anthology good. Can you imagine the awesome features that would be on the Garbage Pail Kids Movie disc?
Old 07-20-15, 06:52 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't go that far but I enjoy your enthusiasm.

WB seems to be cutting features more and more. Static image for a menu. It was a bitch for them to give menus at all at some point.
Old 07-20-15, 07:34 PM

I don't care about extras. Just the movie on plain disc, no case, just picture sleeve. $5.00 SOLD
Old 07-20-15, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I don't care about extras. Just the movie on plain disc, no case, just picture sleeve. $5.00 SOLD
It's interesting that you're so staunch pro-physical media and yet all you want is a generic-looking, stripped-down, no frills, no extras disc in a sleeve.

Isn't that the "couldn't-care-less" consumer attitude that helped reinforce the studio's move to digital?
Old 07-20-15, 10:23 PM

orangerunner ....It's interesting that you're so staunch pro-physical media and yet all you want is a generic-looking, stripped-down, no frills, no extras disc in a sleeve.

Not a plain sleeve. A beautiful picture sleeve.

Isn't that the "couldn't-care-less" consumer attitude that helped reinforce the studio's move to digital?

I don't believe so. I think the "we're-tired-of-this-overpriced-shit" consumer attitude reinforced the studio's move to digital.
Old 07-20-15, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
It's interesting that you're so staunch pro-physical media and yet all you want is a generic-looking, stripped-down, no frills, no extras disc in a sleeve.
I'll never buy digital media and will continue to buy physical media instead, and I couldn't care less about extras. Give me the best PQ and good audio and I'm good to go. I'd rather watch another movie than go through a movies supplements. If there's actually a really good supplement that's worth watching - I'll find it on the net or something... not something I need to see more than once.

There's no point in studios stacking a BD disc with supplements - most people don't care. It's not going to increase sales much at all - certainly not enough to cover the costs for most movies.
Old 07-21-15, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

I would rather watch 3 good movies on blu-ray than one movie with 9 hours of extras that require me fucking around with a remote control for most of that time. I prefer a documentary(30 -60 minutes long).
Old 07-21-15, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

It's one thing to not want to produce new special features, but it's another to not even bring the features over from the DVD. I mean, seriously, how much extra work is it to throw on the old features? They don't even re-encode old features, do they? And I don't even care if there's no top menu, just throw a quick-and-dirty pop-up menu.
Old 07-21-15, 11:24 AM

Quick question. Has the peak of outpouring of new blu-ray releases peaked already?

The reason i ask is. There still many movies such as The Money Pit, Dragnet, The Burbs, Ruthless People, Prety in Pink, After Hours, April Fools Day, Wise Guys and on and on are not out nor preorders) Should i just give up waiting for releases of these, and so much more. And just buy the dvds?
Old 07-21-15, 11:41 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Peak is coming around Summer 2022.

Or buy the DVD's and be happy with those. Or if you have those DVD's already, do a disc to HD digital transfer and be happy with that. Or go European and get them there if you're region free.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.