Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

What's your criteria for buying a movie?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

What's your criteria for buying a movie?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-15, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: What's your criteria for buying a movie?

I'm probably not picky enough and don't really have a criteria for what I buy. Basically if it's a film I've seen and liked I'm likely going to pick it up at some point. I try to watch for deals but some titles I'll just buy and not wait for a price drop. I also will blind buy films based on reviews I read or watch if they're priced right. I like having a collection and will buy Blu-rays and DVDs as long as they're around.
Old 06-14-15, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

If there is a actor I am a big fan I might get a movie just to fill my collection and sometimes I like the artwork but that turns out to be a bad decision sometimes.

Sometimes I wish I was more picky.
Old 06-14-15, 04:49 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great artwork for BDs is crazy hard to fine compared to say... the VHS era. That era had a lot more great artwork than BD ever has had.
Old 06-14-15, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Great artwork for BDs is crazy hard to fine compared to say... the VHS era. That era had a lot more great artwork than BD ever has had.
Yeah cover art sucks for the vast majority of films now days. Basically all we ever get are floating heads from the major studios. That's one of the best things about companies like Arrow, Criterion, Kino, Shout, etc. They all either use the classic art or use creative new art.
Old 06-14-15, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

If it's a movie I liked and it's sub $10, I'll usually get it. The only time I'll break the $10 rule is if it's something the wife really wants or for a Disney release (those are rarely sub $10, so they either get bought during release sales or I wait until I have enough for a Disney movie club enrollment). It's surprising how many movies can be had on BD for sub $10 within a month or two of release.
Old 06-14-15, 04:59 PM
Banned

Yeah. It's fresh to see someone try. Shit. We've crap posters today too.
Old 06-15-15, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

1. Film that I really enjoy or love
2. A/V Quality

That's basically. I stopped blind-buying years ago.
Old 06-15-15, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Kurt Russell
2. Alyssa Milano in the nude.
3. Any reason not listed in Reasons 1 and 2.

Seriously, I don't have much criteria.
Old 06-15-15, 05:51 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 908 Likes on 768 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
2. Alyssa Milano in the nude.
is there such a movie and how do i see it...
Old 06-15-15, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
is there such a movie and how do i see it...
http://www.amazon.com/Embrace-Vampir...he+vampire+blu

You're welcome. And in like 8 other movies, but that's probably the best one (for nudity, not necessarily for film quality).
Old 06-15-15, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Do I want to see said movie?
If yes then
buy=
Old 06-16-15, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My criteria is that it costs 50¢. I buy in bulk. And I still don't understand the current trend with so many people dumping their collections.

I understand all the theories about the "digital future". But I see digital rentals are $2.99. Netflix offers movies for $8/month, but I doubt if they have 1 in 20 of the movies I pick up in bulk. Even Redbox is at $1.50 for rentals.

Last week I purchased 150 movies ($77 - I pay $1 for a few hard to find titles). Purchased 62 movies during the week ($32). Purchased 172 movies on Sunday ($86)

Lots of decent titles like: Scarface, American History X, Blow, Breakfast Club, Silence Of The Lambs, Black Swan, Twilight, Man On Fire, American Me, Water For Elephants, etc. etc. Lots of forgettable titles.

This is something I'm at a loss to understand. It's like consumers have done a 180 on movies. I actually have to take a break while I sell off some lots. It's like a continous flood.

I don't know what the movie studios were trying to accomplish, but I don't believe this was it.

Last edited by dvdshonna; 06-16-15 at 05:41 AM.
Old 06-16-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Most of today's new movies suck-so I go with catalog titles with high replay value(mostly horror/sci fi).
I agree so so much. And I Love to Blind Buy - I just find it much more exciting than buying movies I've already seen. I blind buy catalog titles from the 70's-80's (My favorite movie era evah) and very seldomly do I walkaway with buyers remorse.
Old 06-16-15, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

re-watchability is a bonus for me, not a criteria. I consider my HT a personal movie theater and would rather throw money towards it, than spending $8-$12 on a real movie ticket.

Who only goes to movies they've already seen? The majority of times a movie theater viewing is a blind buy and you try to make an educated guess that it's right for you based on a number of factors. I do the same with my Bd/DVD purchases. And you can add me to the list of people that focus on catalog over new releases (all eras, but primarily pre 80's). I love discovering an old movie that is new to me, that rubs me just the right way.
Old 06-16-15, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdshonna
My criteria is that it costs 50¢. I buy in bulk. And I still don't understand the current trend with so many people dumping their collections.

I understand all the theories about the "digital future". But I see digital rentals are $2.99. Netflix offers movies for $8/month, but I doubt if they have 1 in 20 of the movies I pick up in bulk. Even Redbox is at $1.50 for rentals.

Last week I purchased 150 movies ($77 - I pay $1 for a few hard to find titles). Purchased 62 movies during the week ($32). Purchased 172 movies on Sunday ($86)

Lots of decent titles like: Scarface, American History X, Blow, Breakfast Club, Silence Of The Lambs, Black Swan, Twilight, Man On Fire, American Me, Water For Elephants, etc. etc. Lots of forgettable titles.

This is something I'm at a loss to understand. It's like consumers have done a 180 on movies. I actually have to take a break while I sell off some lots. It's like a continous flood.

I don't know what the movie studios were trying to accomplish, but I don't believe this was it.
Certainly the cheaper they are the easier it is to justify a purchase. I have some I've picked up on the cheap, although more than 50c. I just got tired of having hundreds of movies that do nothing but take up space. The joy of collecting is gone. I don't stream, I don't PPV. I just rent a couple a week at Hollywood video on my way home from work. I still pick up the blockbusters and a few bargain titles. But I've gone from 5 per week during the DVD days to maybe 10 per year now.
Old 06-16-15, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Certainly the cheaper they are the easier it is to justify a purchase. I have some I've picked up on the cheap, although more than 50c...........................
Even more so when it gets to the point where its cheaper to buy than to rent.

These are strange times.

Aside from buying and selling lots on craigslist and facebook groups, my local pawn shops are selling DVDs at $1.00 and $1.29. Redbox rentals are at $1.50
Old 06-20-15, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Certainly the cheaper they are the easier it is to justify a purchase. I have some I've picked up on the cheap, although more than 50c. I just got tired of having hundreds of movies that do nothing but take up space. The joy of collecting is gone. I don't stream, I don't PPV. I just rent a couple a week at Hollywood video on my way home from work. I still pick up the blockbusters and a few bargain titles. But I've gone from 5 per week during the DVD days to maybe 10 per year now.
DVD/Blu-ray sales would be doing well at $3-$5. Redbox would be unnecessary, unless you wanted to use them as vending machines to sell new releases.

The oversized cases are also unnecessary. A thick paper sleeve for the artwork would do as well as the bulky plastic cases.

The biggest difference between renting a redbox disc at $1.50/$2.00 and purchasing a redbox disc at $3.00/$5.00 is that you wouldn't have to return the disc.
Old 06-24-15, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I need to watch it more than once.

I don't care to fill collection or if its oscar worthy. It can be stupid but fun and enjoyable.
Old 06-24-15, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
I agree so so much. And I Love to Blind Buy - I just find it much more exciting than buying movies I've already seen. I blind buy catalog titles from the 70's-80's (My favorite movie era evah) and very seldomly do I walkaway with buyers remorse.
Yeah I agree about blind buying. I shouldn't do it so much probably, but at the same time it makes things more interesting and sort of fun. Plus like Paul_SD pointed out at one time a film is always going to be a blind buy at some point. Its just a matter of purchasing a ticket for seeing the film in theaters or buying a physical copy. At least with the physical copy if I really don't like it I can normally sell it or give it away. I seem to be able to gauge my blind buys pretty well though and usually have good luck with them.
Old 06-24-15, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

There is no greater pleasure than hitting upon a favorite movie as a blind buy. Well, there are greater pleasures but you catch my drift.
Old 06-24-15, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

For me at least, I think summer action blockbusters have more replay value than comedies or deep acclaimed Oscar worthy dramas.

Yes some of the recent summer action blockbusters are extremely bloated in length like The Transformers movies. But, I could probably watch a movie like San Andreas, Mad Max or Jurassic World a few times and the purchase would be well worth it.

A drama like American Sniper was good, but I don't think it has enough replay value to watch a 2nd let alone a 3rd time within 1 year.
Old 06-26-15, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In spite of my insistence of how picky I am, for this one all it took was BB $5 birthday money and nothing else I could find worth buying.
Old 06-26-15, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
There is no greater pleasure than hitting upon a favorite movie as a blind buy. Well, there are greater pleasures but you catch my drift.
yup. That's how I feel too- and why I still make so many of them. Always chasing that dragon.
Old 06-27-15, 12:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Most of today's new movies suck-so I go with catalog titles with high replay value(mostly horror/sci fi).
That's actually a very ignorant statement.

Film quality today has been about the same as it was 20 years and so on. Major differences today are the amount of exposure we have to films, in general. The availability of them for the exposure. The switch of the Big Studio industry to certain types. And smaller films doing their thing. MAYBE the films you want today suck or you're not getting them or something akin to that, if even not. The quality of film is the same, give or take. Maybe jump out of the mainstream if that's an issue. Film is the same as it was before w/ quality. Just the spectrums have changed on the access.
Old 06-27-15, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I want it.
Basically!

Getting married has changed things for me, though. Mostly it all comes down to time. Since I'm not just sitting on my couch watching movies all day/night anymore, I'm fussier about which movies I buy (which, incongruously, I think has made my collection blander, but...). I'm a little more price-conscious as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.