Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk

HD Talk The place to discuss HD DVD, Blu-ray and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 08-14-16, 11:21 AM   #76
Banned

Re: Olive Films October Signature Series titles announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Hmm, all of a sudden I'm seeing multiple copies of The Quiet Man at the used stores and now this is released; somebody must have had an inside source.
Yeah, the minute something is announced, a ton of the original versions show up at local resellers. You can easily find the original incarnations of "An American Werewolf in London," "Carrie," "To Live and Die in L.A.," "The New World," "Blood Simple," "Dressed to Kill," and many others recently announced. The once elusive "Dr. Strangelove" digibook is no longer hard-to-find and it is easily had for less than $10. I own both the digibook and the steelbook and have been debating whether to trade those in and acquire the Criterion version. However the image upgrade is negligible and the only reason to repurchase would be the supplements—likely gonna skip the Criterion version. I just purchased "The Quiet Man," "High Noon" and "Night of the Grizzly" during this last Deep Discount Olive sale for around $10. I am very pleased with those purchases. The discs are terrific and the packaging offers superior graphics. To shell out $20-$30 for so-called "upgrades" at this time is not even a consideration. Sometimes you get less when some titles are re-released. I bought the MGM version of "Mad Max" in the Metalpak and popped in the DVD of supplements that were in the original release. I believe it is far better choice than what Shout Factory provided. I have also sought out and acquire most of the original "Diamond Editions" and "Anniversary Editions" of the classic Disney films on Blu-ray since I consider them superior to what we've seen so far from the "Signature Editions." So, you have to be very careful because you may be trading a superior version for something far less. The rush to sell is motivated by a desire to get top dollar for the existing version but how much are you gaining and how much are you potentially losing? As much as I protest about the needless double or triple dipping I succumb to doing it far too often...

Last edited by AaronSch; 08-16-16 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-14-16, 05:05 PM   #77
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Gonzo View Post

Never had a chance to see Night of the Grizzly - any good?
It's OK. Quasi western/horror mix. Killer grizzly threatens town. Standard B western drama interrupted by occasional bear attack. Kind of unique, that's why I like it. Saw it as a kid and really liked it. Not as much now. I own it for nostalgia and it's something different.
Old 08-15-16, 03:51 AM   #78
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What Olive calls Signature Series is what most other labels call a regular release.
Old 08-15-16, 09:22 AM   #79
DVD Talk Legend

Ha, finally bought the quiet man a few weeks ago. Oh well.
"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
Old 08-15-16, 04:14 PM   #80
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The One and Only Kino Lorber and Olive Films Blu-Ray Thread

The American Ninja movies are apparently selling like hot cakes on Amazon.

3 of the 4 movies won't ship for a few weeks and part 2 is now TBD for a shipping date.

Guess Olive didn't realize the demand.

I'm passing on these because I already bought the 88 Films UK release. This isn't the kind of release that I want to double dip on.
Old 08-16-16, 01:06 AM   #81
DVD Talk Legend

I imagine it's Amazon's fault. Amazon extrapolates inventory estimates largely off pre-orders and related items. Sometimes they do a very poor job with estimates for niche releases. I see it happen all the time in music and movies.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 08-22-16, 02:52 PM   #82
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those so inclined, Kino just tweeted they'll be releasing Ridley Scott's 1492: CONQUEST OF PARADISE on Blu-Ray and DVD. I assume there's some kind of involved ownership history behind this one? I remember Paramount releasing it to theatres, but don't recall seeing or hearing much about it since then . . .
Old 08-22-16, 09:02 PM   #83
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
For those so inclined, Kino just tweeted they'll be releasing Ridley Scott's 1492: CONQUEST OF PARADISE on Blu-Ray and DVD. I assume there's some kind of involved ownership history behind this one? I remember Paramount releasing it to theatres, but don't recall seeing or hearing much about it since then . . .
Interesting because I think you're right, the ownership rights were strange. I think Ridley Scott owns a direct piece of the movie.

Over 5000 Blu-rays ranked by pure video quality.
Old 08-22-16, 09:16 PM   #84
DVD Talk Legend

I really hope the 1492 release has a good set of extras. I've been waiting for this for years and resorted to buying the French and German releases (in addition to the letterbox VHS and laserdisc). Still holding out hope the teaser with the Enigma music will finally see the light of day.

Last edited by E Unit; 08-22-16 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-23-16, 12:47 AM   #85
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have that trailer on 35mm- it was traditionally at the start of my "random crap reel" I kept adding and subtracting other trailers from- since it's hard-matted it made sure I got the framing right.

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 08-23-16, 06:27 AM   #86
DVD Talk Legend

Ha! So do I! It's one of my favorite "banned" teasers I kept, along with the Jurassic Park teaser and that 20 minute reel of The Program where those kids were laying on the road in the middle of traffic. I think I gathered 10 reels of teasers over the 12 years I worked in theaters and festivals.
Old 08-23-16, 06:37 AM   #87
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
Paramount still has the rights. Kino Lorber struck a licensing deal, and this title is the first of many. Can't speak to why we haven't seen much of it between then and now, though.
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 08-23-16, 08:44 AM   #88
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
Paramount still has the rights. Kino Lorber struck a licensing deal, and this title is the first of many. Can't speak to why we haven't seen much of it between then and now, though.
Over at the BD forum, there are several hints of a lot of golden age 3D coming due to this licensing deal! Very sweet!
Old 08-23-16, 09:29 AM   #89
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Over at the BD forum, there are several hints of a lot of golden age 3D coming due to this licensing deal! Very sweet!
Any hints? I skimmed the last four or five pages of what I thought was the relevant thread there (maybe not?) and all I saw was constant and repetitive begging for titles their "insider" already told them weren't part of the deal because they were previously released, tied up with WB, could've been Googled, etc. What a slog . . .
Old 08-23-16, 11:23 AM   #90
DVD Talk Reviewer

How was that 1492 trailer "banned"? My theater played it a lot, but never actually got the movie. We already stopped showing "The Program" before they replaced the reel with the freeway scene, but there's a few seconds of that in the trailer. I have nearly every trailer from 1991 til 2001, and a few random defective reels (fading to black or color shifting.) One of the last trailers I got was the Spider-Man World Trade Center teaser, oddly I'd put in my 2 weeks' notice to essentially leave the theater business on September 8th that year.

Tell Samsung to bring it back too! https://www.change.org/p/contactus-s...agship-4k-tv-s
Old 08-23-16, 11:55 AM   #91
DVD Talk Legend

Paramount sent a cease and desist letter to all of the theaters asking for it to be removed and destroyed ASAP. I kept it because I thought it was funny. I guess it got resolved or whatever because the trailer I posted from YouTube was posted by Paramount.

I forgot about that teaser for Spider-Man, but I do still have the poster for it.
Old 08-23-16, 12:47 PM   #92
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Any hints? I skimmed the last four or five pages of what I thought was the relevant thread there (maybe not?) and all I saw was constant and repetitive begging for titles their "insider" already told them weren't part of the deal because they were previously released, tied up with WB, could've been Googled, etc. What a slog . . .
Check this thread:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=281589
Old 08-23-16, 12:47 PM   #93
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
The whole thing started with the 3D Film Archive on Facebook.

The strongest speculation seems to be:

Golden Age 3D, so no Friday the 13th Part III. Hondo isn't owned by Paramount, so that's not in the running either. The Popeye cartoon mentioned above has been shot down.

Edit: or what Spiderbite posted.
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 08-31-16, 12:35 PM   #94
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Kino Lorber is launching a new imprint: Kino Lorber Repertory. The idea is that they're going to release somewhere around a movie a month in theaters, and then those films (a mix of cult and classics) will make their way to VOD and Blu-ray.

1981's The Pit is first to bat, hitting theaters next month and arriving on Blu-ray in October. Following that are The Wanderers, seven Lina Wertmuller films, Godard's La Chinoise and Le Gai Savoir, new restorations of yet-to-be-announced Buster Keaton films, Andrey Zvyagintsev's The Return and The Banishment, and Josef von Sternberg's Anatahan.

(source: blu-ray.com)
-Patton Oswalt
Old 09-01-16, 12:12 PM   #95
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

More Amicus! No release date yet, but Kino Lorber just announced The Skull is coming soon.
-Patton Oswalt
Old 09-01-16, 03:14 PM   #96
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Skull is already out. Double featured with Man Who Could Cheat Death.
Old 09-02-16, 11:52 AM   #97
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
More Amicus! No release date yet, but Kino Lorber just announced The Skull is coming soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
The Skull is already out. Double featured with Man Who Could Cheat Death.

Oh, that's welcome news. That means Kino/Lorber has acquired the Paramount titles previously released as double features by Legend Films. Hopefully each film in those Double Features will see individual releases. I was about to order "The Man Who Could Cheat Death" and The Skull." Hopefully, these will be of superior quality because the Legend disc was far less desirable than the Eureka version. Legend also released a Tony Curtis double feature of "Those Daring Young Men in Their Jaunty Jalopies" and "Houdini." Evidently "Houdini" will also be released soon. This is really good news.

I just wanna hear that the best title in the Amicus library (in my humble opinion), "Asylum" is released in short order.

Last edited by AaronSch; 09-02-16 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-05-16, 01:53 PM   #98
DVD Talk Hero

Labor Day sale from the Kino Lorber web site. Ends after today

Old 09-14-16, 03:01 PM   #99
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A tweet from Kino today announced that the upcoming Blu-Ray of FATHOM has been "cancelled indefinitely." No details, sadly . . .
Old 09-20-16, 08:04 PM   #100
Inane Thread Master

Anyone get Grandview U.S.A.? This seems like a perfect 80's movie that I like. Great cast. The price tag @ $20 is a little steep though with no extras. Does it have replay value?