Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mandalorian: The Complete First & Second Seasons - 4K UHD and Blu-ray

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 08-21-23, 09:12 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

This is no joke, folks! We’ve got more great Disney 4K Ultra HD news to report for you today.

And no, it’s not the long-awaited James Cameron titles, but have faith—those are definitely still coming (and should be announced in the next few months). But in its way, this news is just as good.

Remember how we said that Disney might be turning a corner with their physical 4K UHD releases? Well, today we bring you breaking news of the company’s first Disney+ original series coming to Blu-ray and 4K! And these are some major titles!

Here’s the studio’s official press release (be sure to read to the very end for some additional comments of our own)...

FOR THE FIRST TIME ON 4K UHD AND BLU-RAY!
LOKI SEASON 1, WANDAVISION, AND THE MANDALORIAN SEASONS 1 AND 2

NEW COLLECTOR’S EDITIONS FROM MARVEL STUDIOS AND LUCASFILM WITH STEELBOOK PACKAGING, EXCLUSIVE ART AND NEW BONUS FEATURES

BURBANK, CA (August 21, 2023) – The Walt Disney Company today announced a number of popular series from Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm will be available on Collector’s Edition 4K UHD and Blu-ray for fans to add to their movie collections, featuring Steelbook packaging, concept art cards and some never-before-seen bonus features.

The titles and dates announced are:
  • Marvel Studios’ Loki: The Complete First SeasonSeptember 26, 2023
  • Marvel Studios’ WandaVision: The Complete SeriesNovember 28, 2023
  • Star Wars The Mandalorian: The Complete First SeasonDecember 12, 2023
  • Star Wars The Mandalorian: The Complete Second SeasonDecember 12, 2023
All four titles will be available to pre-order from August 28.

Each title will be available nationally on Blu-ray Steelbook with cohesive and collectible brand-new box art designed by popular artist Attila Szarka and collectible concept art cards

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/m...ts/082123-0700
The following users liked this post:
Adam Tyner (08-21-23)
Old 08-21-23, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts
Re: The Mandalorian: The Complete First & Second Seasons - 4K UHD and Blu-ray

The only two pieces of Star Wars created content by Disney I will buy to have on my shelf next to the original trilogy. 👍🏻
Old 08-21-23, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,390 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Holy hell it’s happening!

Yep, put me down for the Mandalorian 4K sets. Let’s hope this is the beginning of a new renaissance for physical media collectors.
Old 08-21-23, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,011 Likes on 616 Posts

Interesting. I could have sworn I read an article just a week ago stating Disney was going to quit physical media completely and people were proclaiming that to be the final stake in the heart of ALL physical media because of it.

Strange but welcome.
Old 08-21-23, 10:48 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Interesting. I could have sworn I read an article just a week ago stating Disney was going to quit physical media completely.
Maybe you were reading about how they are doing that in Australia.
Old 08-21-23, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
Maybe you were reading about how they are doing that in Australia.
Ah. Must have been.
Old 08-21-23, 02:50 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Cool for fans who want physical media. I’ll grab the Mandalorians Eventually when they hit sub $15 or so.
Trevor (08-31-23)
Old 08-21-23, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I'm sure they will likely include the Making of documentaries that is also on Disney+ Those are very well produced and not like the shitty EPK crap that most releases get these days.
Old 08-21-23, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm sure they will likely include the Making of documentaries that is also on Disney+ Those are very well produced and not like the shitty EPK crap that most releases get these days.
Dang, I didn’t even think about those, if those are on there that’s absolutely a reason to buy.
Old 08-21-23, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm interested in The Mandalorian, but not totally convinced I need it. Maybe the 3rd season soured me on the series a little bit. But I did really love season 1 and 2 and I don't maintain a regular subscription to Disney+, so I will probably convince myself to buy these.

Hoping this means Andor will get a physical release. I'd be all over that!
Old 08-22-23, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Yeah, pre-Book of Boba and Mando: Season 3, I would have been all over this. Now though? 'Eh, do I really want to watch it again?

That aside, the making of stuff is fantastic.
Old 08-23-23, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah, pre-Book of Boba and Mando: Season 3, I would have been all over this. Now though? 'Eh, do I really want to watch it again?

I’ll get them, a bit of a drop in quality but still damn fun.

I wonder if BOBF will be rolled in with season 3 since the storyline is so interconnected?
Old 08-24-23, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

It's sad, but Disney Star Wars has been so inconsistent that I don't really have much interest in re-watching it or buying discs for my library. The Sequel Trilogy, Kenobi, Book of Boba Fett, and Mando season three were so fucking godawful that they've really murdered my enthusiasm for the franchise. Even when they put out something good like Rogue One or Andor, it's dragged down by all of the wretched shit around it. The only blu-rays I bought were The Force Awakens (which I now regret), Rogue One, and Solo.

I also feel the same way about the MCU. I never thought the movies were that good, but I admired the way they pulled off a shared universe through the first three phases. Then phase four came along and just ground all of the momentum to a screeching halt. I did buy all of the blu-rays up through Spiderman: Far from Home, but nothing after that.

Old 08-24-23, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's sad, but Disney Star Wars has been so inconsistent that I don't really have much interest in re-watching it or buying discs for my library. The Sequel Trilogy, Kenobi, Book of Boba Fett, and Mando season three were so fucking godawful that they've really murdered my enthusiasm for the franchise. Even when they put out something good like Rogue One or Andor, it's dragged down by all of the wretched shit around it. The only blu-rays I bought were The Force Awakens (which I now regret), Rogue One, and Solo.
Hell, I lost my Star Wars mega-fandom when the changes were made for the Special Editions and the originals were never made available in a quality release. In my opinion, it has been downhill ever since then with the exception of a few good books, comics, and Rogue One. I still need to see the Mandalorian but after the last trilogy and suffering through the abortion called Kenobi, I have not been in any hurry to watch anything Star Wars related.

I take that back...I have been occasionally watching an episode here and there of the old 80's animated series Droids and Ewoks on Disney+. Droids is decent. Ewoks is pretty unbearable. Basically, the same way I felt when I watched them as a kid.
Old 08-25-23, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's sad, but Disney Star Wars has been so inconsistent that I don't really have much interest in re-watching it or buying discs for my library. The Sequel Trilogy, Kenobi, Book of Boba Fett, and Mando season three were so fucking godawful that they've really murdered my enthusiasm for the franchise. Even when they put out something good like Rogue One or Andor, it's dragged down by all of the wretched shit around it. The only blu-rays I bought were The Force Awakens (which I now regret), Rogue One, and Solo..
My daughter and I are watching everything in chronological order. Most of it the first time for her. The last two seasons of Clone Wars flowing into and including the two seasons of Bad Batch are probably my favorite content thus far. We watched Obi-wan a few weeks ago and despite some flaws, I really dug what they were doing with it. The biggest thing was the entire affair looking like a video game cut scene (same as Boba and Mando 3). They really need to get a handle on the Volume or come up with a way to make everything not look like bad CG. That and Inquisitors are terribly lame characters. Are they one of Filoni's creations? We're into Rebels now and I can't wait until they're gone. Those aside, we're all there for one reason, Ewan and he delivers.
Old 08-29-23, 01:49 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Seeing the $55 price at Amazon and $50 price at Best Buy, I figured I'd go ahead and lock in an order for all of these Disney Plus 4K sets at the Disney Movie Club using their Buy one at $45, all remaining sets were $18. Getting some free lithographs and a pin as per DMC usual perks. I threw in Avatar for $14 along with extra copy of Mando S1 as a gift. I stay in the club mainly for exclusives, but this was too good of a deal not to put in an order right away.
The following 2 users liked this post by PerryD:
Adam Tyner (08-29-23), JeremyM (08-31-23)
Old 08-29-23, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
Seeing the $55 price at Amazon and $50 price at Best Buy, I figured I'd go ahead and lock in an order for all of these Disney Plus 4K sets at the Disney Movie Club using their Buy one at $45, all remaining sets were $18. Getting some free lithographs and a pin as per DMC usual perks. I threw in Avatar for $14 along with extra copy of Mando S1 as a gift. I stay in the club mainly for exclusives, but this was too good of a deal not to put in an order right away.
Good call, I still have a VIP membership too. I was going to skip this based on the prices, but now I may have to go in for them all, lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by Obi-Wanma:
Adam Tyner (08-29-23), PerryD (08-29-23)
Old 08-29-23, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I really like the first two seasons of The Mandalorian. I didn’t hate season three but it was very inconsistent and in my mind it should have been over with season two.

I’ll probably buy whatever Disney puts out on Blu-ray/4K regarding Star Wars though.
steebo777 (08-30-23)
Old 08-30-23, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I think they just whiffed on a huge marketing opportunity by waiting to release these. Sales would have been through the roof a couple years ago after season 1 and after season 2 while the hype was there. It's kinda like if HBO waited to release Game of Thrones on physical media until AFTER season 8. How many sets do you think they would have sold? Instead people ate that shit up and even double dipped along the way as they were released.
Spiderbite (08-31-23)
Old 08-31-23, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
I did the same. They will ship them out as they release as well, they don't wait until they're all available like some online stores.
Old 09-02-23, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

While I'm not interested in buying, I hope these D+ shows sell well.
JeremyM (09-04-23)
Old 10-02-23, 02:34 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In terms of video and audio quality, I wonder if there would be a noticeable difference between the disks and watching it on Disney +?
Old 10-02-23, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

There’s some banding on Disney+, and if you’re using their regular app you can’t enjoy the full end credits.
Old 10-02-23, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 352 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
and if you’re using their regular app you can’t enjoy the full end credits.
What am I missing? You scroll over to the rolling credits and click. Full screen credits including all the foreign language ones.
Old 10-02-23, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

I think he means "full end credits" without being interrupted with a "Watch Next Episode" or "you may be interested in..." popping up during the credits.

I actually only care about the credits up until those notifications. Anything after those notifications is just music (I think) and not the concept drawings.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.