Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated Universe Films

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DC Animated Universe Films

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-15, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts
re: DC Animated Universe Films

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Did you successfully do this for Throne of Atlantis?

Just seems odd to me that Flixter would handle a problem that is obviously not their fault.
Flixster is wholly owned by Warner Bros. You can send the problem to WB's customer support, but they will direct it to Flixster.
Old 01-29-15, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Most steelbook copies did not have the UV code sheet. You need to contact Flixster's customer service and show them a picture of your receipt to get your UV copy.
Thank you for the reply.
Old 01-29-15, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flixster is wholly owned by Warner Bros. You can send the problem to WB's customer support, but they will direct it to Flixster.
Didn't know that. Thanks.
Old 02-01-15, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

I miss the animated shorts. I wish they could lure Paul Dini back for those (if not have him and Timm collaborate on a full blown feature).

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kDqi_8tcxtY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-01-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I miss the animated shorts. I wish they could lure Paul Dini back for those (if not have him and Timm collaborate on a full blown feature).
Those won't be coming back because WB decided they weren't cost effective. I miss them too though.
Old 02-01-15, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The shorts were pretty good and DC has a lot of characters that probably work better in that format than a full-length feature. As robin2099 said, they aren't coming back unless there is a shift in management. I think they were meant to be a training ground for talent to help ease the transition when Timm left.
Old 02-01-15, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

James Tucker, the executive producer of these movies, said in the extras on Throne of Atlantis that he's lobbying hard to get the shorts back.
Old 02-01-15, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Truthfully I don't care too much about the shorts. I'd rather the films be allowed a longer running time.
Old 03-30-15, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So this isn't coming in 2015 and will be out next year instead but I figured it was worth posting anyways..

Animated Batman ’66 Film Coming Next Year with Adam West and Burt Ward

In case Ben Affleck’s turn as the dark knight in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice wasn’t enough for your anticipation levels, an animated film based on the 1966 Batman TV series will be debuting as well. Consequences of Sound (via /Film) brings word on the announcement which took place at the Batman panel at the Mad Monster Party in Charlotte, North Carolina this weekend.

“You can look forward to a new animated Batman, full length 90-minute feature, coming out on the 50th anniversary. One of possibly two, but for sure one, that Adam and I are doing the voices for,” Burt Ward revealed.
http://www.superherohype.com/news/33...-and-burt-ward
Old 04-05-15, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Trailer for Justice League: Gods & Monsters. Not at all what I was expecting.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NHXTUKACXGU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-05-15, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. That looks pretty boring.
Old 04-05-15, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
So this isn't coming in 2015 and will be out next year instead but I figured it was worth posting anyways..

http://www.superherohype.com/news/33...-and-burt-ward
I am actually pretty excited about this announcement. I really wish the licensing had been settled sooner, the original actors aren't getting any younger and many have already passed on.
Old 04-05-15, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NHXTUKACXGU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
More of the usual gratuitous swearing, I see. Isn't this the one that Bruce Timm is coming back for? It looks like some sort of alternate universe version of the League, what comic is it based on?
Old 04-05-15, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll probably get Justice League: Gods and Monsters but yeah I'm not even sure what that's supposed to be based on. I don't think it looks terrible but no familiar characters seems like an odd choice. I trust these animated films a bit more though since the DCAU is vast enough at this point (even though not everything is tied together) that I feel like they can try new things.
Old 04-05-15, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Gratuitous swearing?
Old 04-05-15, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Since the announcement last year that "Batman: The Animated Series" veterans Bruce Timm and Alan Burnett would reunite for an animated feature entitled "Justice League: Gods and Monsters," fans have eagerly anticipated how the might ""explore a newly conceived reality in the DC Universe where Justice League members Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are much darker versions of the Super Heroes that people think they know." Today Nerds on the Rocks posted several screen shots reportedly taken from an what is presumably the first of three episodes in the prelude series "Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles" included with the forthcoming "Batman vs. Robin" animated feature, along with descriptions of the heroes' Elseworlds-style origins.

According to the source article, Superman is the son of General Zod, while Batman is Kirk Langstrom, who inadvertently turned himself into a sort of vampire while attempting to cure his own cancer. As to Wonder Woman, she "seems to be of the 'New Gods,'" the site reported. "She marries Orion but something goes wrong there and she comes to Earth." Darkseid also features heavily in the series, as does a knowledge-seeking Lex Luthor modeled on Stephen Hawking.

"Batman vs. Robin," which includes the preview, is released April 14. No date has been announced for the "Gods and Monsters" direct-to-home feature.
Old 04-05-15, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Gratuitous swearing?
Yeah, I must have missed that as well...
Old 04-05-15, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Gratuitous swearing?
Well, Throne of Atlantis has "He annoys the shit out of me" and then there was "the bitch dies" in Apocalypse. In this case it's just tame, but still, you wouldn't hear "have the balls to do it" in a Saturday morning cartoon.
Old 04-05-15, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A cartoon airing on regular tv during a block aimed at kids wasn't going to have swearing plain and simple. The direct to Blu-ray/DVD films have targeted a broader audience since the beginning and their ratings reflect that. The language in the films is still tame and far from gratuitous swearing.
Old 04-06-15, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was pretty apparent that someone at WB decided to heavily target a PG-13 rating with the DC animated cartoons a couple of years ago. They started upping the graphic violence and then introduced the occasional swearing. I presume it was driven by their market research of which people were driving sales. It's mostly adult men picking the movie up for either themselves or their older children.
Old 04-06-15, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am actually pretty excited about this announcement. I really wish the licensing had been settled sooner, the original actors aren't getting any younger and many have already passed on.
Adam West still sounds great as based on his recent LEGO Batman 3 voiceover work. The age could be a problem with Ward and Newmar though.

Everyone else you'd ever want passed away long before this thing ever would have materialized under any circumstances. Eartha Kitt died in '07 and Frank Gorshin died in '05. Everyone else you'd want died in the 70s, 80s or 90s.

With all due respect to the amazing cast of this show they'll have no problem finding voiceover actors who can impersonate the long-dead actors.
Old 04-06-15, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard

That... looks terrible. Was Bruce Timm really involved in this one?
Old 04-06-15, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A cartoon airing on regular tv during a block aimed at kids wasn't going to have swearing plain and simple. The direct to Blu-ray/DVD films have targeted a broader audience since the beginning and their ratings reflect that. The language in the films is still tame and far from gratuitous swearing.
I know that, but having a character exclaim "What the hell" in surprise is a little different from having superheroes saying "shit." You could obviously tell that the censors tied their hands occasionally on the animated series, and I agree that hearing "What the heck was that" when you obviously know what the character would've really said is a little bit lame. But it's a far cry from some of the stuff they've shown in the DTVs with characters vomiting blood. I don't know, maybe it's just me. They clearly relish the PG-13 ratings and love pushing the limits and aiming them at adults, I just think it's a little much sometimes to have the camera linger while Batman blows a hole in someone's cranium with a gun in Flashpoint. I just think there's an upper limit before it becomes "Let's do this because it's PG-13, so we can get away with it!"
Old 04-06-15, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It was pretty apparent that someone at WB decided to heavily target a PG-13 rating with the DC animated cartoons a couple of years ago. They started upping the graphic violence and then introduced the occasional swearing. I presume it was driven by their market research of which people were driving sales. It's mostly adult men picking the movie up for either themselves or their older children.
Like the comics themselves, the audience is probably mostly adult. Very few comics are for kids these days. These DTV have been targeted at the more adult fans since day one with Doomsday. I am kind of surprised that they haven't had some naive parent not bother to check the rating and get upset about it yet, to be honest.
Old 04-06-15, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

A cartoon airing on regular tv during a block aimed at kids wasn't going to have swearing plain and simple. The direct to Blu-ray/DVD films have targeted a broader audience since the beginning and their ratings reflect that...
...and the prices for these suckers reflect that only parents are buying these.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.