Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated Universe Films

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DC Animated Universe Films

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-15, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
re: DC Animated Universe Films

I loved, loved, loved Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem, by the way.
Old 08-14-15, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Did you see the pic that gryffinmaster posted above? The graphic novel is the same size as a normal one you would buy in a store. That's why I why I was saying it was such a great value, it's freakin huge.
Not before posting what I did. For some reason pictures posted by others quite often just shows as a small icon when I view the page. Never know what I'm missing.

But I can see the pics now and I see that the books are full size. Frankly I'm surprised given places will not be able to fit them on their usual spots in the BD sections.

I too would pick these up if the price was right and I didn't already have many of the titles

Last edited by hdnmickey; 08-14-15 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-14-15, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

Best Buy is carrying all of them in a store endcap. It's worth a visit to experience them in person.
Old 08-14-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Frankly I'm surprised given places will not be able to fit them on their usual spots in the BD sections.
That's exactly why I grabbed a couple. I don't see stores stocking these for long. After that, you are taking the chance of getting a damaged one shipped from Amazon.
Old 08-14-15, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's exactly why I grabbed a couple. I don't see stores stocking these for long. After that, you are taking the chance of getting a damaged one shipped from Amazon.
Ordered mine from Amazon, which came in one of their standard big, loose bubble mailers. The boards seem sturdy enough to hold up during transit (mine arrived just fine), but that's still a worthwhile concern considering how they're packaging the single items. Maybe they'd shrink-wrap two of them together and put them in a box.
Old 08-14-15, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,175 Likes on 4,204 Posts

I ended up grabbing Batman: Year One and Superman: Doomsday because I didn't have them yet.
Ditto. They're nice.
Old 08-14-15, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

You guys suck.

After reading this thread I went to Best Buy today and couldn't resist picking up Wonder Woman and Batman: Year One, which I definitely did not need. Actually, the only content I already had was the Year One graphic novel, but this hardcover version is much nicer than my existing softcover version and I've been wanting the BD anyway. I did resist Black & White, since I already have the comics digitally and also already have Gotham Knight on BD. I was tempted though.
Old 08-16-15, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I loved, loved, loved Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem, by the way.
I thought Animal Instincts was a little better as a movie but it's still a fun story with the clown prince of crime terrorizing Gotham City.

Only by watching the special features did I pick up that this Batman Unlimited series of direct-to-video movies is an unofficial prequel of sorts to Batman Beyond.

http://www.doblu.com/2015/08/18/batm...lu-ray-review/

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 08-18-15 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-18-15, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guess they didn't make any special editions for Batman Unlimited: Monster Mayhem. The focus for it did seem to be aimed at a younger target audience than the rest of DC's output, though most adults should still enjoy it.
Old 08-18-15, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedrix
yeap, and that's how I got my steelbook today. Target Deluxe with Figure. It was the only deluxe edition and there were no standalone steelies at the Target I went to. Btw, for those trying to figure out if your Deluxe has a steelie, it should be numbered on the bottom (XXXXX out of 60,200) and another sticker that says Target exclusive Steelbook inside. Its 24.99 (or cheaper with redcard), but I'll give the figure to my wife, she'll appreciate it
Hmm... there's a sticker that says there's a steelbook inside? I picked out a deluxe edition copy today (using the 20% off cartwheel coupon), and it looks like it has a steelbook, since the framing was slightly different than the non steelbooks I looked at, but it had no sticker. Hmm.
Old 08-19-15, 12:38 AM

My non-deluxe version has a sticker that says "Target Exclusive Steelbook Packaging" or something like that.

All the Deluxe version have the numbered sticker on the bottom.
Old 08-19-15, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Yeah, it had no Target exclusive sticker so I returned it. Oh well, guess I'll wait for the inevitable sale.
Old 08-20-15, 03:00 PM

It's crappy that you can't tell if the Deluxe version has the Steelbook or not just by looking at it.
Old 08-20-15, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
It's crappy that you can't tell if the Deluxe version has the Steelbook or not just by looking at it.
They have a sticker saying they have the exclusive SB and I think someone also said they have a number/number on them.
Old 08-21-15, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally got around to watching Gods & Monsters last night. It was a lot of fun, and for the first time since I can remember, I actually enjoyed Superman's character...maybe because it was completely different from all other adaptations. Really thought provoking for most of the film, the only down part was the ending in some respects. A certain recommendation and glad I added the steelbook to my collection.

On a related note, I want both Monster Mayhem and Bad Blood. The former looks like some silly Joker fun (which would be a nice detour from all of the seriousness of the last few films) and Bad Blood looks like the story I have been waiting for since I like the Robins/Nightwing more than Batman himself. So great stuff on the DC Animated front, I just wish Target would get their head out of their ass on these steelbooks.
Old 08-21-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I stopped chasing Target's DC steelbooks. The distribution for them was becoming so erratic I gave up trying to collect them. Both Batman Unlimited movies are simpler superhero fare without being grim-n-gritty. Both Red Robin and Nightwing are in Monster Mayhem.
Old 08-29-15, 07:45 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BackStJoe
Can anyone tell me what the Wonder Woman download is on the Best Buy exclusive? I can't find any info...
Since no one seemed to know I picked it up...the Wonder Woman download is the full 2009 animated movie.
Old 01-08-16, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The first DC animated movie for 2016 comes out on February 2nd, Batman Bad Blood, and so far Target doesn't have a steelbook listed. So it looks like that trend might be coming to an end

They are also releasing more of the graphic novel / movie combos. I almost wish they would do this at release, because I'm not re-buying movies I already own. Although, that Dark Knight Returns one looks pretty damn good...

Old 01-08-16, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The first DC animated movie for 2016 comes out on February 2nd, Batman Bad Blood, and so far Target doesn't have a steelbook listed. So it looks like that trend might be coming to an end
Maybe my memory is failing me again, but I believe this was true for the last release (Gods and Monsters) as well. No separate listing for it, but there was a limited number of steel books available in store. Just no separate listing allowing it to be specifically ordered online for shipping or in store pickup.

I have the Gods and Monsters steelbook and I'm pretty sure my wife had to go to the store shortly after opening to score me a couple.
Old 01-08-16, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I wait for all of these to hit $10 or under (which they always do) so I never worry with the steelbooks or getting these at release date.

The only Steelbook I have of these is the Dark Knight Returns release and that was because Target had a good price on it release week.
Old 01-08-16, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Maybe my memory is failing me again, but I believe this was true for the last release (Gods and Monsters) as well. No separate listing for it, but there was a limited number of steel books available in store. Just no separate listing allowing it to be specifically ordered online for shipping or in store pickup.

I have the Gods and Monsters steelbook and I'm pretty sure my wife had to go to the store shortly after opening to score me a couple.
Bluray.com & Target.com had a listing for the Gods and Monsters steelbook, but neither have a listing for this one. I guess we'll find out next month, but I'm hoping they don't stop. Especially with The Killing Joke coming out this year.
Old 01-08-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

They are also releasing more of the graphic novel / movie combos. I almost wish they would do this at release, because I'm not re-buying movies I already own. Although, that Dark Knight Returns one looks pretty damn good...

Agree on all of that. Already bought the BD, but that looks hot!
Old 01-08-16, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bluray.com & Target.com had a listing for the Gods and Monsters steelbook, but neither have a listing for this one.
Again, could be wrong, but if Target had a listing for it on the their site on release day, I would have ordered one using that option. I also seem to remember the same kind of what if there is no steelbook speculation for Gods and Monsters, but there was one after all including the special edition with the action figure. All in very limited quantities such that even some stores didn't have some.
Old 01-08-16, 04:19 PM

Which graphic novel and Blu Ray movie is this? I can't read it.
Old 01-08-16, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Public Enemies

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.