Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVDs with cuts of the films missing from the Blu-rays

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

DVDs with cuts of the films missing from the Blu-rays

Old 01-27-15, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts
Re: DVDs with cuts of the films missing from the Blu-rays

I believe both versions of Payback are on the UK Blu-ray.

Occasionally the exclusion of a superfluous theatrical cut doesn't bother me, but studios need to include both when there are major differences or the original cut was a hit in the first place.
Old 01-27-15, 04:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Updated the list with what y'all have added. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Giles
In the mean time I put the DVD in with my bluray copy to make a deluxe edtion sans the theatrical cut only being in standard definition.
Yep, exactly what I am going to do with the films I like.

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Mann reworks his movies so frequently, that even he can't keep track of what's in them or not in them anymore.
Do you mind giving a rundown of all the different versions of Manhunter there are on DVD and then which of those have been released on Blu.
Old 01-27-15, 10:28 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I believe both versions of Payback are on the UK Blu-ray.
You are correct. This is a great edition BTW, cheap and region free. I bought it for $8 shipped a few years ago from Amazon UK. makes for nice viewing on the many changes that were made. But as of now, still no US release of the theatrical cut.

Old 01-27-15, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Trainspotting [Not sure about the DVD]
Old 01-27-15, 12:02 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

RE: 'Trainspotting' - I thought the DVD was the unrated version while the blu-ray was the abbreviated R-rated cut.

RE: 'Dead Alive' - the US has also not seen the release of the complete uncut version that is around 6 and half minutes of extra footage.

Last edited by Giles; 01-27-15 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-27-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
RE: 'Trainspotting' - I thought the DVD was the unrated version while the blu-ray was the abbreviated R-rated cut.
I think that's the case. Thus, a DVD with cut of the film missing from the Blu-ray.
Old 01-27-15, 12:35 PM
Banned

Is the "unrated" Trainspotting different than the "Director's cut" available in Japan?
Old 01-28-15, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 419 Posts

Are we counting movies that have a different version not available in the States?
Lock, Stock and two Smoking Barrels has a dvd with a longer cut, not sure about outer region blurays of that one.

Early dvds of The New World had a dvd or dvd-rom that allegedly had a third cut of the movie that
was reported to be a work print version.
Old 01-29-15, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
Are we counting movies that have a different version not available in the States?
Yes. I didn't read the OP carefully enough:
Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
If you see any of these listed below that are available in any region (A, B, or C) on Blu, let me know.
Thus, I was corrected on Payback (UK) and Last Emperor (Japan)...both of which I actually own!
Old 01-29-15, 10:42 AM

Lock, Stock and two Smoking Barrels has a dvd with a longer cut, not sure about outer region blurays of that one.

Early dvds of The New World had a dvd or dvd-rom that allegedly had a third cut of the movie that
was reported to be a work print version.
I believe that that 'work print' version of 'The New World' was the 150 min. cut that played in New York/LA before it's wide release in January (2006).
Old 01-29-15, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Kill Bill all color part 1 on JPN BD.
Old 01-29-15, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by mrhan
Kill Bill all color part 1 on JPN BD.
the JPN cut also features more gore.
Old 01-29-15, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

^ The Whole Bloody Affair
Old 01-29-15, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

The Missing (2003); Cate Blanchett, Tommy Lee Jones

DVD has Extended Cut but not on blu-ray. One of the FEW DVDs I have not parted with.
Old 01-29-15, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Stttttttaaaaaarrrrrrrr Waaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrssssss.
Old 01-29-15, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Old 01-29-15, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
The Missing (2003); Cate Blanchett, Tommy Lee Jones

DVD has Extended Cut but not on blu-ray. One of the FEW DVDs I have not parted with.
Why? It's an awful film. The talent was squandered on that one.
Old 01-30-15, 12:38 AM
Banned

Yep, as long as there has been a version of the film released on blu, in any region. If a DVD exists with a version of the film NOT available on any of the blus for the film, that is what I want to know.
Old 01-30-15, 12:39 AM
Banned

Ha!

I'll update the list tomorrow sometime.
Old 01-30-15, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
You are correct. This is a great edition BTW, cheap and region free. I bought it for $8 shipped a few years ago from Amazon UK. makes for nice viewing on the many changes that were made. But as of now, still no US release of the theatrical cut.

Don't the two versions have different color-timing? I think one was bleach bypassed and one wasn't.

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
Ha!

I'll update the list tomorrow sometime.
There was a thread not too long ago which wasn't dissimilar... I wonder if Paramount will ever try to milk more Trek remasters. They're badly needed, you'd think that in the wake of the Abrams movies, they'd be trying to squeeze every dime they could out of them. Shame too, I'd love a proper BD boxed set. Apparently some of the transfers are lackluster too.

Also, not sure if it counts, but technically, Raiders of the Lost Ark as well. There were some minor changes on the first DVD release-the cobra's reflection, the removal of some visible FX. They're probably not the kind of thing which is noticeable to a regular well-adjusted person who gets laid once in a while, but I guess they are worth mentioning.

Apparently, though, there was quite a bit of controversy about the color-timing on the new release. I guess it was supposedly timed to more accurately reflect the original Eastmancolor prints, or at least that was the official line. Haven't seen the BD yet though.

Then of course there are the endless teal-and-orange color-timing fiascos of late-Thief, Aliens, etc.

As far as Star Wars, it's also worth noting that between the theatrical releases of I and II and the DVD, Lucas applied some changes, and of course further ones on the BDs, not the least of which was digital Yoda in TMP.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 01-30-15 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-30-15, 10:14 PM

Don't the two versions have different color-timing? I think one was bleach bypassed and one wasn't.

There was a thread not too long ago which wasn't dissimilar... I wonder if Paramount will ever try to milk more Trek remasters. They're badly needed, you'd think that in the wake of the Abrams movies, they'd be trying to squeeze every dime they could out of them. Shame too, I'd love a proper BD boxed set. Apparently some of the transfers are lackluster too.

Also, not sure if it counts, but technically, Raiders of the Lost Ark as well. There were some minor changes on the first DVD release-the cobra's reflection, the removal of some visible FX. They're probably not the kind of thing which is noticeable to a regular well-adjusted person who gets laid once in a while, but I guess they are worth mentioning.

Apparently, though, there was quite a bit of controversy about the color-timing on the new release. I guess it was supposedly timed to more accurately reflect the original Eastmancolor prints, or at least that was the official line. Haven't seen the BD yet though.

Then of course there are the endless teal-and-orange color-timing fiascos of late-Thief, Aliens, etc.

As far as Star Wars, it's also worth noting that between the theatrical releases of I and II and the DVD, Lucas applied some changes, and of course further ones on the BDs, not the least of which was digital Yoda in TMP.
personally I'm shocked that Paramount doesn't have proper DCP's of the Star Trek movies - the AFI Silver recently played the first movie and what they got from Paramount wasn't a DCP, or a 35mm print but a DVCam (of the director's cut). "whaaaaa ...?"

re: 'Raiders' I'm surprised the digital scrubbing didn't erase the bouncing boulder from the Well of Souls scene.

Star Wars Ep. I featured the extended cut, but from what I can surmise, the original cut was never released on home video.
Old 01-31-15, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman
Re-Animator US BD only has the unrated cut, some overseas releases have the R-rated and 'hybrid' (all footage from both versions) cuts
Man I would love to upgrade my bootleg Hybrid cut DVD to a legit Blu. Even an R rated version would be nice, way more effective than the shorter UR cut.
Old 01-31-15, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yes but I don't know if (the theatrical cut) it was bleached. I prefer the Straight Up cut - it's darker and has lots of grain and the film just reeks of noir. I love it.
Old 01-31-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tombstone Only the theatrical cut is available on BR
Big Red 1 Same for this one. waited for ages for this only to be disappointed in the release. The SD extended cut has better sound than the HD theatrical cut
The Patriot BR only has the extended cut which I felt made a mediocre movie poor.
Independence Day BR only has the theatrical but the extended only had one decent scene added "nice driving pop"
Old 01-31-15, 01:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Big Red 1 Same for this one. waited for ages for this only to be disappointed in the release. The SD extended cut has better sound than the HD theatrical cut
Going to leave this one off the list since the blu technically comes with both cuts of the film.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.