Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD vs Blue Ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD vs Blue Ray

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-14, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts
HD vs Blue Ray

Question...

Which version is better HD or BD? Im asking cause I've been thinking of buying HD movies from Itunes.
Old 12-20-14, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: HD vs Blue Ray

Originally Posted by csant
Question...

Which version is better HD or BD? Im asking cause I've been thinking of buying HD movies from Itunes.
Usually, the physical copy is better but it's a YMMV situation. As I recall, AVSforum constantly has threads comparing the different streaming options of shows/movies to any available BD counterparts.
Old 12-20-14, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Video, if you have a super flawless connection, is the same, but the audio is where physical Blu-ray is tops.
Old 12-20-14, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

For most modern tv shows, so far I've found the bluray versions (if available) are somewhat sharper and "less noisy" than the original HD broadcast versions.
Old 12-20-14, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Go with the BD every time for optimum quality. Well, I'd say 99 times out of 100, anyway.
Old 12-20-14, 11:36 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Video, if you have a super flawless connection, is the same
uhh... no. I mean, sure, both can be "1080p" but that doesn't mean both encodes are equal. In fact, they're never equal unless the studio is totally lazy and uses that streaming encode on the BD (I'm looking at you, Mongrel Media...).

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Go with the BD every time for optimum quality. Well, I'd say 99 times out of 100, anyway.
This.
Old 12-20-14, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
In fact, they're never equal unless the studio is totally lazy and uses that streaming encode on the BD (I'm looking at you, Mongrel Media...).
Is there a list of Mongrel titles which are known to be lazy streaming encodes?
Old 12-21-14, 12:01 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

No. I should be clear that it's just a suspicion I've had for a long time because their BD encodes don't look as good as I believe they should, they typically leave off any type of lossless audio that appears on US or UK releases, and they're almost always on single-layer discs.

I should have made that clear. I didn't mean to imply that they ARE doing that with their titles, just that I own a number of their discs and they... suck... compared to their US/UK counterparts, so it seems very much like that's what's going on. Something's not right with whatever they're doing over there...

The only way to know for sure would be if I could tell what the Netflix "Super HD" encodes are, and compare them to the BDs, but... I'm not sure how to get that info from a Netflix stream...
Old 12-21-14, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

HD streaming virtually never beats out the Blu-ray, ever. Anyone arguing otherwise has little conception of picture quality. Once in a great blue moon you'll find a streaming transfer that uses a different, more appropriate color grading or something.
Old 12-22-14, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
On that subject, is the Vudu version of Aliens teal-washed?