Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you get overwhelmed by your volume?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 12-12-14, 08:23 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

and lack of time...

you know every time i buy a movie i want to watch it. every time i see a movie thread get bumped or created (Terminator) i want to watch it. anytime i have a passing interest (Troy) i want to watch it. i have this thing in me that has a pension to wanting to watch all these great movies i have but psyche myself out and wind up barely watching a Netflix movie i have. i don't know if it is my time, my feelings or lack of concentration, but i get so overwhelmed that i can't ever decide on watching the movies i love.

what is that?

do you get that way?
Old 12-12-14, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts
Re: Do you get overwhelmed by your volume?

Sometimes.
Old 12-12-14, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Always all the time.

Overchoice leading to watching nothing.
Old 12-12-14, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

That is pretty much the story of my life. I have so much stuff to watch, and not nearly enough time to cram it all into.
Old 12-13-14, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Frequently, and that's what I love about it. I purposely stock up on myriad titles I know I'll likely enjoy because, to me, it feels like I'm in a video store every time I walk into my man cave. Gotta recapture those halcyon days somehow.
Old 12-13-14, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Yes, but it's what I've aspired to Gone are the days when I actually had to be content with whatever was on TV because I had run out of things to watch!
Old 12-13-14, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Which is exactly why i stopped collecting. I now rent my two movies every weekend. Too many movies, not enough time.
Old 12-13-14, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

Over the last few years I've really made an effort to cut down on buying Blu-Rays, so as far as that selection goes it isn't completely out of hand like my DVD buying days and I rarely feel overwhelmed looking at my Blu-Ray shelf.

That being said, I've had more than my share of evenings where I spend upwards of an hour or two scanning through the Netflix streaming library only to end up watching nothing at all.
Old 12-13-14, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Yeah...once in a while.

Partly as a response to this, I used to do scheduling or programming. For example, every Friday night I'd watch a Sherlock Holmes movie followed by a classic sci-fi. On Saturday night it would be a horror movie, followed by an ep of Star Trek. On Sunday night it was a romantic comedy or drama. Monday would be foreign film or Criterion, Tuesday a B&W, etc.
When you have a rigid schedule, you have some framework of what to watch and it becomes easier to get around to all those unwatched titles. Of course you can always deviate and watch something else- but sticking to the schedule usually spares you from not knowing what to watch and then ending up not watching anything. It's also a good way to get through those multi-film box sets.
Old 12-13-14, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes. I have a large stack of purchased discs I want to watch and simply do not have the time. I also have a large amount of books and magazines I want to read and don't have the time.
Old 12-13-14, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
Yes. I have a large stack of purchased discs I want to watch and simply do not have the time. I also have a large amount of books and magazines I want to read and don't have the time.
Conversely, I find the same thing happens too when I do have a lot of free time. (As "paradoxical" this may sound).

I keep on telling myself that I would go through the stuff on my watch/read lists. (Especially during long weekends + holidays). But in the end, I rarely end up watching through my list of "stuff to watch" (or "stuff to read").

Last edited by morriscroy; 12-13-14 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-13-14, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

I'm pretty much "semi-retired" so I can watch multiple films per day, which is cool and all, but I also don't want to get burnt out. If that starts to happen I have to put aside my review stuff and watch something that needs watching from my library, or just go to a movie at the theater, etc. And now with having a PS4 and getting back into gaming I'll play a few sessions, as well.

I make time for everything media related.
Old 12-13-14, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I purposely stock up on myriad titles I know I'll likely enjoy because, to me, it feels like I'm in a video store every time I walk into my man cave. Gotta recapture those halcyon days somehow.
This has also been one of my MOs over the last few years too.

(Albeit a flimsy rationalization on my part).
Old 12-13-14, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm pretty much "semi-retired" so I can watch multiple films per day, which is cool and all, but I also don't want to get burnt out.
Back in early-2011, I was essentially forced involuntarily into "semi-retirement" from my previous career.

During the summer of 2011, I ended up watching through tons of movies and tv shows all day and every day. (Such as the entire Stargate franchise, X-Files, Knight Rider, Magnum PI, the original Hawaii Five-0, Rockford Files, Dukes of Hazzard, etc ...). My new job didn't start until the fall of 2011.

After that summer of non-stop movies and tv shows, I was completely "burned out".
Old 12-13-14, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by morriscroy
After that summer of non-stop movies and tv shows, I was completely "burned out".
Since then, I have not been able to "recapture" that feeling of excitement and contentment I had during that huge summer of 2011 binge.
Old 12-13-14, 10:24 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No.

I work out, play video games, read, and watch movies. I've got a lot of everything. So... there is always something refreshing to do here.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-13-14 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-13-14, 10:42 AM

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
Always all the time.

Overchoice leading to watching nothing.
This. Exactly.

After dropping far too much money on far too many discs on Black Friday weekend, I realized that I simply HAD to stop buying crap. I did a little count and figured out that, counting all the formats that I own (going back to VHS, of which I still have probably 1,300 or so), if I were to watch one title a day (with TV seasons counting as one title) it would take me right at 25 years to watch everything I own. Considering that I currently watch 2-3 movies per WEEK, at my current viewing rates it would probably take me around 60-75 years to get everything watched. As I'm in my early 50s, I'm probably never going to get everything watched...and as Morris said above, it's really difficult to pick something to watch when I actually have time to watch something. I did watch a DVD last night, but it took me close to an hour to pick it.

So, I'm curtailing the spending as of two weeks ago, and my New Year's resolution is to watch something, anything, every day. We'll see how long these two self-imposed edicts last.
Old 12-13-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Frequently, and that's what I love about it. I purposely stock up on myriad titles I know I'll likely enjoy because, to me, it feels like I'm in a video store every time I walk into my man cave. Gotta recapture those halcyon days somehow.
I like this glass-half-full approach. I am going to start thinking of my collection this way, instead of feeling stressed out about it.

Last edited by Greg MacGuffin; 12-13-14 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-13-14, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by rbrown498
...and as Morris said above, it's really difficult to pick something to watch when I actually have time to watch something. I did watch a DVD last night, but it took me close to an hour to pick it.
More generally, I think the same can probably be said of large collections in other niches.

The exact same thing happens when it comes to my other large collections, such as: books, music cds, vinyl records, comic books, vintage video games, boardgames, etc ...
Old 12-13-14, 12:46 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

I'm a bit of a hoarder with hundreds of thousands of 'things'. I never get overwhelmed on what to watch or read etc with my time, but I often get overwhelmed with organizing or keeping track of my things. When I have a few hours off and plan to make a dent on the dozens of unorganized boxes of items, I often quickly give up in total frustration.

I need ten clones with a great work ethic and a house ten times larger to ever make a dent in my clutter.
Old 12-13-14, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Care to share pictures of your place with us?
Old 12-13-14, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Sometimes I do. Mostly because I have about 300 titles stacked on the ground because I have yet to buy a new shelf for them
Old 12-13-14, 05:34 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Care to share pictures of your place with us?
I think I'll pass. A certain thread here is coming to mind...
Old 12-13-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm a bit of a hoarder with hundreds of thousands of 'things'. I never get overwhelmed on what to watch or read etc with my time, but I often get overwhelmed with organizing or keeping track of my things. When I have a few hours off and plan to make a dent on the dozens of unorganized boxes of items, I often quickly give up in total frustration.

I need ten clones with a great work ethic and a house ten times larger to ever make a dent in my clutter.

I don't need to add anything at all because this is myself as well. I know that "logically" I should really pace myself with the buying and hoarding, but then I get emotional and think that if I have the extra money, why not treat myself?
Old 12-13-14, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Not really. I think I'm at 25 blu-rays and 50 DVDs. I think I'd like to move to iTunes for movies now that they let people re-download them.

I'm just picky and I almost always read the full wikipedia plot summary before watching a movie, usually just to get an idea of what it's about and if it sounds good or not, that way I skip a lot of stuff.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.