Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you get overwhelmed by your volume?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Do you get overwhelmed by your volume?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-14, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Do you get overwhelmed by your volume?

The real problem in my case, is that I don't get to revisit the films that I really love, that are nearly a part of me - all so that I can justify watching this vast backlog that I've accumulated.
Old 12-15-14, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My collection, no. Now, my backlog I did begin to get overwhelmed by a few years ago. Eventually, I forced myself through it (which I think caused me to become semi-burned out on movies for a time) and knocked it down to 0 in March 2013. Since then, I've made it a point to never amass an unmanageable backlog and to only buy movies I know I will watch again. The latter rule is pretty easy to follow since a good portion of what I watch nowadays I don't feel a need to revisit, let alone own. This isn't just applying to modern movies, mind you; the same judgment applies to television as well as silent/classic/American New Wave films.
Old 12-15-14, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

This was a big problem for me when I was collecting DVD's, as I had hundreds and hundreds of movies that never got watched.

I learned my lesson when I bought a BluRay player, as I picked out the 40-50 movies to buy that I truly loved, and it has worked for me.
Old 12-15-14, 08:39 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Thing about my collecting habits is that they change from time to time. I actually buy a little more now, especially movies/shows that come with UV codes. I tend to spread the love with my family by letting them use my Vudu account, so at least 6 family members take advantage of movies I buy. Some movies are for my wife, some for the kids, and most for myself. I split them in piles based on what I'm in the mood for. And I actually don't have that much a back log at the moment. A few Criterions that I enjoy slowly burning through because I watch everything on them, and the other piles consist of mainly TV shows and some various catalog titles.

I do like to revisit old stuff randomly as well. That's why I bought them, right? To watch them again.
Old 12-15-14, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by mike7162
The real problem in my case, is that I don't get to revisit the films that I really love, that are nearly a part of me - all so that I can justify watching this vast backlog that I've accumulated.
Same here. I'm looking forward to showing my son those movies I love, because otherwise I probably won't ever get back to them.
Old 12-15-14, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been scaling down my purchasing a bit over the past 3 years. When I got into the hobby (DVDs), things were at the saturation point (a couple of years pre-High Def) where I could get movies for $7 or so and then Criterions were more. I also reviewed DVDs for a while as well for another site.

So, my collection grew at a pretty rapid pace during my last two years of college and then I kept it growing into HD-DVD/Blu-ray. My big thing was (and to an extent still is) finding directors whose films I enjoy and filling out their filmography. It worked out for directors I love, like Martin Scorsese or Federico Fellini, but then there are some directors, where I had to stop myself and say, "Yeah, Sidney Lumet has made some great films, but you don't need to own all of them."

Also, I tried to stop buying discs because of price. I still buy some stuff just b/c it's so cheap, but it's less of a money thing (even though, those $5-10 discs add up) and more of a space thing. Also, I no longer buy TV shows unless I know it's a show I'll want to revisit. Otherwise, I'm content to use HBO Go or Netflix for that.

As for choice paralysis...it happens some times, but I tend to create boxes for my g/f and I based on what either one of us is in the mood to watch and it makes narrowing down a film easier. Also, having a g/f or friends who aren't that into movies, makes it really easy to revisit stuff.
Old 12-15-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

My dilemma is that by the time I get done reviewing movies I'm assigned (for another IB website), I don't have time to watch the titles I own/want to watch. So the pile of unopened titles gets bigger and bigger.
Old 12-15-14, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

I have over 900 and look at it that even if I watch one a day, that can be almost 3 years between viewings. This time around, I'm taking a more critical look at my collection and weeding out a lot of my impulse "because they were cheap" buys.
Old 12-15-14, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

It does get difficult fitting in the longer films. I find it very hard to find time for any film running nearly three hours. Shorter films are easier to fit in dead time.
Old 12-15-14, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I get mostly overwhelmed by the amount of entertainment options there are.

Anyone who complains that they have nothing to watch is lying unless they live in the country with an SDTV, no internet and a VCR.

I mean, you have home video, cable/satellite, on demand, DVDs and BDs that many of you own & rent, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Itunes, TV shows on network and cable airing in the Fall, Winter, Spring and even Summer. I mean there are thousands of hours available now yearly. Along with going to the movies during peak seasons like Summer. I know most here simply can't keep up with all these options, movies and shows etc.

I wake up every day, go to work, do my normal errands and I never for 1 second worry about having nothing to watch.
Old 12-15-14, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Anyone who complains that they have nothing to watch is lying unless they live in the country with an SDTV, no internet and a VCR.
What I meant with a quote of "nothing to watch", was not watching any of my dvds/blurays.

(Sorry if I wasn't clear on this point).

In practice, I end up watching foxnews, bbcnews or cnn all day (both at home and at work), instead of watching any of my dvds/blurays.

Last edited by morriscroy; 12-15-14 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-15-14, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Just sold a bunch of BD/DVD TV sets at fye and got the Sopranos at Best Buy with the cash. The Sopranos is something I will watch over and over. Most of those TV shows I watched when they aired, bought the season when it was released but never watched it. Some were 10 years old. I just have a small collection now of 25 favorite films and top 10 TV shows.
Old 12-15-14, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It does get difficult fitting in the longer films. I find it very hard to find time for any film running nearly three hours. Shorter films are easier to fit in dead time.
That's my problem as well. More and more I find myself choosing what to watch based on run time. Even if I do put in something that's only 80-100 minutes, the odds of me finishing it in fewer than 3 sittings are pretty slim. Thanks to my advancing age and my 8 month old child, I just can't stay awake anymore.
Old 12-15-14, 04:36 PM

Even worse is planning periods for long running tv shows which are highly serialized, such as something like the original Dallas or Dynasty.

Every time I say to myself that I want to plan some time to watch a 25+ episode season of Dallas or Dynasty, in the end I keep on pushing it to "tomorrow" or "next week". (Like kicking the can repeatedly).
Old 12-15-14, 05:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

i couldn't believe i actually pulled the trigger on seeing a new movie. saw Guardians of the Galaxy in 3D (blown away again), but i hope this breaks the streak of not being able to watch anything that isn't Netflix or whatever. God, i hope so...
Old 12-15-14, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a problem with a huge backlog, and see it as an accomplishment when I can get through a chunk of it (even when I do keep adding to it). DVDProfiler says I'm at 791 unwatched (with 433 of those being blu-ray). I count something as unwatched if I haven't seen it in that format. So if I saw something on DVD or Netflix and upgraded to blu, it's in the "unwatched" pile.

I look at it as never being without something new to watch. I have slowed down somewhat in my purchasing habits, although I've also sped up with my Criterion purchasing.
Old 12-15-14, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Seems like there are two different issues being addressed here:

1. Do you have so much shit you're paralyzed and incapable of choosing something to watch? (I think this was the point of the OP.)

or

2. Do you have too much shit?

I think a lot of us would fall into this second category. And there are times when I can't find the RIGHT thing to watch. But I never get too overwhelmed to pick anything. I just make a choice and move on.
Old 12-15-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
I think a lot of us would fall into this second category. And there are times when I can't find the RIGHT thing to watch. But I never get too overwhelmed to pick anything. I just make a choice and move on.
My wife has the problem of not being able to pick something. She'll come into the library and look at the walls of films for 5+ minutes, and then just go back to the living room and watch something on Netflix instead. For me, I pretty much let my computer tell me what to watch. I filter DVDProfiler to unwatched and just have it pick something. If I'm really not feeling it, I'll spin the wheel again.
Old 12-15-14, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Shagrath
My wife has the problem of not being able to pick something. She'll come into the library and look at the walls of films for 5+ minutes, and then just go back to the living room and watch something on Netflix instead. For me, I pretty much let my computer tell me what to watch. I filter DVDProfiler to unwatched and just have it pick something. If I'm really not feeling it, I'll spin the wheel again.
how does DVDProfiler tell you about unwatched?
Old 12-15-14, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy
how does DVDProfiler tell you about unwatched?
You can set up user accounts and if you right-click a movie, there's a "Watched By" option.

Of course, I didn't know this for the longest time, so I made a custom Tag for Unwatched, and one for Completed (watched all features). Every time I watch a movie, I go and uncheck that box.
Old 12-15-14, 06:24 PM

You can set up user accounts and if you right-click a movie, there's a "Watched By" option.

Of course, I didn't know this for the longest time, so I made a custom Tag for Unwatched, and one for Completed (watched all features). Every time I watch a movie, I go and uncheck that box.
i'll try that. thanks.
Old 12-15-14, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Seems like there are two different issues being addressed here:

1. Do you have so much "stuff" you're paralyzed and incapable of choosing something to watch? (I think this was the point of the OP.)

or

2. Do you have too much "garbage"?
(Change the word "shit", to something which sounded less ambiguous).

I am definitely in the first category.

Other than a few dvd/blurays from The Asylum, I don't have too many titles which I would consider total "garbage". (I like watching various Asylum titles for the "it's so bad, that it's good" type of guilty pleasure).
Old 12-15-14, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

My backlog is legendary. Years.
Old 12-15-14, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Most psychologists believe that too much choice in retail environments actually overwhelms most shoppers, shorting out their normal decision-making process. Many get frustrated by too many choices and give up completely from making a decision right there.
Old 12-15-14, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Most psychologists believe that too much choice in retail environments actually overwhelms most shoppers, shorting out their normal decision-making process. Many get frustrated by too many choices and give up completely from making a decision right there.
Yup. It's bad business to offer customers too many choices. McDonalds is in the process now of jettisoning a lot of their menu because sales have been in a down spiral for a while. I don't know how much that will stop the bleeding, but anyone who works in a service environment realizes quick what a mistake it is to give customers a full slate of choices.

For some reason the talk of choice paralysis always reminds me of the phenomenon of forced marriages under Pol Pot.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.