Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Your Best/Favorite Blu-ray Releases of 2014

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Your Best/Favorite Blu-ray Releases of 2014

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-14, 10:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Your Best/Favorite Blu-ray Releases of 2014

Originally Posted by zyzzle
So, Arrow is going to be releasing the threatrical cut of THIEF (with original color-timing intact) on Jan 26th 2015? In 1080p, on Bluray? Wow, finally!

That's huge, thanks very much for the info... Why haven't I seen this announced elsewhere?
What's surprising about this is that this release will have a limited edition that includes the Criterion cut. Makes me wonder if they'll release this under Arrow USA sometime in the next few years here. At any rate, I picked up the UK limited edition. Can't wait to see and compare.
Old 12-09-14, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Criterion's La Dolce Vita - So excited to finally have this on Blu-ray.
This.

(The only blu-ray I bought this year, in fact.)
Old 12-09-14, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Halloween: The Complete Collection Limited Deluxe Edition (Scream Factory)
Nightbreed: Director's Cut (Limited Edition) (Scream Factory)
Ultimate Warrior: The Ultimate Collection (WWE)
Ladies and Gentlemen, My Name is Paul Heyman (WWE)
Les Blank: Always for Pleasure set (Criterion)
The Wonder Years- The Complete Series. (Time-Life) (dvd I know, but oh well)
Love Streams (Criterion)
Red River (Criterion)
Drive (Future Shop Exclusive Mondo X SteelBook) (Blu-ray Combo)
Old 12-09-14, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
This.

(The only Blu-ray I bought this year, in fact.)
If you like LDV, check out Criterion's The Great Beauty. It was a blind buy for me, and I discovered an absolutely wonderful film.
Old 12-09-14, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

So, Arrow is going to be releasing the threatrical cut of THIEF (with original color-timing intact) on Jan 26th 2015? In 1080p, on Bluray? Wow, finally!

That's huge, thanks very much for the info... Why haven't I seen this announced elsewhere?
Originally Posted by trespoochies
What's surprising about this is that this release will have a limited edition that includes the Criterion cut. Makes me wonder if they'll release this under Arrow USA sometime in the next few years here. At any rate, I picked up the UK limited edition. Can't wait to see and compare.
Don't get too excited. The Criterion cut is the main feature and the theatrical is part of the limited edition. By Arrow's own admission, the theatrical cut is not going to look as good as the new cut. They're using an old master. It's basically just a bonus feature for those that want to see the original color-timing in comparison to the new cut.
Old 12-09-14, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts

Still excited because, even if it is an old master, we'll be getting the original color timing in 1080p. Unless it's compressed to death, it should look better than the existing DVD. And, Arrow has done very well lately, so I have faith in them. They wouldn't have bothered at all unless they thought the quality of the theatrical print which they have merits the time and effort to release...
Old 12-09-14, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Still excited because, even if it is an old master, we'll be getting the original color timing in 1080p. Unless it's compressed to death, it should look better than the existing DVD. And, Arrow has done very well lately, so I have faith in them. They wouldn't have bothered at all unless they thought the quality of the theatrical print which they have merits the time and effort to release...
Don't get me wrong...it should be a great release. I just didn't want you to have the impression that they were doing a full blown restoration of the theatrical.
Old 12-09-14, 05:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This release is the one that broke the camels back about going region free. Runaway train, Thief theatrical, and many more. Just trying to decide on the player. Only thing I give a crap about is video output, all the networking and yippidy dodahs mean nothing.
Old 12-10-14, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

The Wanderers Blu-ray Limited Edition Digipack German Import

Last edited by JoeySeven; 12-10-14 at 02:15 AM.
Old 12-10-14, 01:58 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Mad Max set came out last year.
Old 12-10-14, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I totally forgot that Synapse Films released Curtains (1983) this year. What a great release!
Old 12-12-14, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Just a heads up- that Arrow Thief limited edition pre-order just dropped in price from £23 down to £16.
With shipping, it should run you about the same as the Criterion at 40% off + tax.

I ultimately didn't have a big problem with the color grading on the Criterion. I thought the screencaps were a bit deceptive- OTOH, I do think it was revised and I would be very curious to see the film with a more natural, early 80's era palate. The caps Arrow has up in it's blog post look a little too orange to me- but considering how off the earlier Criterion caps were to my actual viewing, I'm not going to put too much stock into them.

Another heads up- anyone that's interested in the Albert Finney/Audrey Hepburn Stanley Donen film "Two For The Road", the price has just dropped on that as well- along with some random Hammer films.
Old 01-16-15, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 899 Likes on 723 Posts

Well, it looks like Arrow's 2015 release of THIEF blows Criterion's out of the water... According to DVDBeaver's new review of the Arrow limited edition Blu, "Arrow ecclipses Criterion on every front." All that obsequious, kowtowing to the director's wishes has been proven the bullshit that it always was...

Arrow has righted a wrong (shame on Criterion!) and set the record right with the definitive release of THIEF on Blu-ray. We can all rest easy now.