Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Wire - remastered in HD (possible Blu ray release?)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Wire - remastered in HD (possible Blu ray release?)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Re: The Wire - remastered in HD (possible Blu ray release?)

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It's getting there. Some studios are only furnishing digital copies for review, which sucks, if you're a website that reviews Blu-rays.

I only turned it down, because I have a healthy backlog of shit that needs reviewing. I don't have the time to watch the 60-episode run.
So, do they compensate you in any other way for getting a word or two out about movies or sets? I could see this being as one of the main reasons for me spending my time doing reviews. Yet, I spend my time out and about Yelping because I enjoy it and I get my nice little Elite status next to my name.
Old 03-05-15, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,637 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Coming June 2nd.

"One of the most daring dramas in the
history of the medium" - The Baltimore Sun

"One of the great achievements in television
artistry" - San Francisco Chronicle

THE WIRE:
THE COMPLETE SERIES

BLU-RAY WITH DIGITAL HD

Acclaimed Series Available for the First Time
on BLU-RAY Disc with Digital HD June 2, 2015

Loaded with Bonus Content Just in Time for Father's Day Gift Giving

All 60 Episodes Beautifully Re-mastered in 16x9 Full Frame HD

New York, NY (March 5, 2015) - In the six years that have passed since the conclusion of the HBO series The Wire, the critically acclaimed drama has turned into a worldwide phenomenon that has been hailed as "the best show in the history of television" by MSNBC. This summer, the series will make its highly anticipated debut on Blu-ray disc for the very first time. The 20-disc box set featuring all 60 episodes of the hit series in a stunningly re-mastered 16x9 full-screen HD format is showcased with newly redesigned box art. The Wire: The Complete Series on Blu-ray with Digital HD ($199.99) is loaded with an exciting slate of bonus materials, including four behind-the-scenes documentaries, three prequels that explore life before The Wire, and an all-new cast and crew Q&A from the Paley Center for Media's The Wire reunion event. The Wire: The Complete Series on Blu-ray with Digital HD will be in stores June 2, 2015 - just in time for Father's Day and summer binge watching - and is a must-have for all TV connoisseurs!

The Wire depicts an American urban dystopia, framed in our time, in which easy distinctions between good and evil and crime and punishment are challenged at every turn. In five successive seasons, the series depicts a Baltimore in which institutional prerogatives, economic inequalities and a brutalizing drug war confound the efforts to advance the city and its people. The series' first season lays out the futility of the drug war, while the second highlights the deindustrialization and the death of the working class. The third season introduces the city's political culture and lays out the forces that stand in the path of actual reform. The fourth season addresses the educational system and the actual opportunities that remain to coming generations. The fifth and final season examines the media culture and its role in perpetuating the status quo. Amid all of this, carefully drawn characters on both sides of the law and from a variety of Baltimore cultures move forward as best they can, human to a flaw, struggling against a system that seems weighted against civic progress.

The Wire: The Complete Series
Blu-ray Disc with Digital HD
Street Date: June 2, 2015
Rating: TVMA
Runtime: Approx. 59 Hours
Price: $199.99

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/20837#ixzz3TYQmMuov
Old 03-05-15, 04:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yeah, I'm getting some of that.
Old 03-05-15, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

I doesn't sound like the Blu-ray set will include the 4:3 framing as an option. I may have to finally pick up the DVD set.
Old 03-05-15, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Any new extras? A retrospective would be nice.
Old 03-05-15, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I doesn't sound like the Blu-ray set will include the 4:3 framing as an option. I may have to finally pick up the DVD set.
Makes me glad I already have it and picked it up mega cheap during an HBO sale. I imagine once it's well known that the BD's are not 4x3 the DVD's could go up in demand.
Old 03-05-15, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd like it but sure wish they'd include the 4x3 versions.
Old 03-05-15, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Why would you want it in 4:3 if you're upgrading to it in HD? Isn't the point to have it fill your HDTV than have Black Bars?

I suspect this will be at least $80-90 when its released this summer for retailers.
Old 03-05-15, 07:59 PM
Banned by request

That's when I'll buy. It would be nice to have OAR, but the HD remaster was damn good. Had it looked bad or even average, I wouldn't be excited to get this. Either way, I have my DVD set to preserve the OAR. Of course it's collected dust there for years.
Old 03-05-15, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by slop101
Any new extras? A retrospective would be nice.
Did you read the press release I posted? It mentions it there.
Old 03-05-15, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Why would you want it in 4:3 if you're upgrading to it in HD? Isn't the point to have it fill your HDTV than have Black Bars?
Hopefully you're not serious. If you are, then I guess you would never be interested in the awesome BD releases available for movies like The Wizard of OZ, Casablanca, Citizen Kane (to name only name a few).
Old 03-05-15, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You mean this: "and an all-new cast and crew Q&A from the Paley Center for Media's The Wire reunion event" ?

If I'm right, that's not what he meant by retrospective. And he's not alone.
Old 03-05-15, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
You mean this: "and an all-new cast and crew Q&A from the Paley Center for Media's The Wire reunion event" ?

If I'm right, that's not what he meant by retrospective. And he's not alone.
He asked Any New Extras? Then he said a retrospective would be nice. Not specifically asking if there was a new retrospective documentary.

As for the 4:3 thing, I'm well aware that many shows and movies were originally shot in 4:3 like Star Trek TNG, TOS and the early seasons of The Shield.

I'm just saying since this was an upgrade project by HBO and the show was shot on film right? If they have the ability to increase the picture size and perspective for HD audiences spending the extra cash to get this, then why not do it? The early seasons of The Shield were released by FOX DVD in 4:3, but Sony re-mastered them for their re-release in 16:9.

Also, another example: Seinfeld airs on the Sony HD channel in 16:9 even though that was originally 4:3 when it aired on NBC. They obviously made the effort to get it that way than lazily air a 4:3 version.

I know many shows, especially older, just don't have the elements for a new 16:9 re-master because they were shot on tape and some the special effects were made in SD.
Old 03-05-15, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just saying since this was an upgrade project by HBO and the show was shot on film right? If they have the ability to increase the picture size and perspective for HD audiences spending the extra cash to get this, then why not do it? The early seasons of The Shield were released by FOX DVD in 4:3, but Sony re-mastered them for their re-release in 16:9.
If they are indeed opened up to 16x9, great. But if it's cropped, many folks will not be interested despite the upgrade in resolution.
Old 03-05-15, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts

I wonder why they chose to use those two newspaper quotes and not Entertainment Weekly which dubbed it the greatest TV Show of all-time.
Old 03-05-15, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't understand why there is no 3D version.
Old 03-05-15, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Yeah, the Paley Center Q&A doesn't count. All the work they supposedly put into this new transfer and they can't be arsed to do any real new extras?
Old 03-06-15, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Old 03-06-15, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hope they don't put the discs in book like sleeves but I'm not counting on it.
Old 03-06-15, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

He asked Any New Extras? Then he said a retrospective would be nice. Not specifically asking if there was a new retrospective documentary.

As for the 4:3 thing, I'm well aware that many shows and movies were originally shot in 4:3 like Star Trek TNG, TOS and the early seasons of The Shield.

Also, another example: Seinfeld airs on the Sony HD channel in 16:9 even though that was originally 4:3 when it aired on NBC. They obviously made the effort to get it that way than lazily air a 4:3 version.

I know many shows, especially older, just don't have the elements for a new 16:9 re-master because they were shot on tape and some the special effects were made in SD.
I'll leave the Wire alone because it's kind of a special case when it comes to it's re-formatting and has already been discussed at length, but the idea that going back to the original elements and remastering a show in HD somehow demands that it be re-framed to 16x9 is ridiculous.
Old 03-06-15, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I have no more interest in owning The Wire in 16x9 than I do owning The Sopranos in 4x3.

I can't believe they didn't master versions at the correct ratio when they were mastering them for 16x9.
Old 03-07-15, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, well, unfortunately, the hacked up reverse panning and scanning is all we're ever going to get.
Old 03-07-15, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Yes, well, unfortunately, the hacked up reverse panning and scanning is all we're ever going to get.
Guess I'm hanging on to my DVD set.
Old 03-07-15, 12:17 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

As vaguely "interested" as I am in seeing the new 16x9 version, I wouldn't double-dip on this set without the 4x3 OAR as an option. It's incredibly disappointing.
Old 03-07-15, 12:19 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Since I'm not good at seeing what's wrong with this type of stuff, is there something you can show or a link to read on this type of transfer? Watching it in HBO, it looks really great.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.