Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk

HD Talk The place to discuss HD DVD, Blu-ray and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 09-01-14, 06:41 PM   #1
Banned

Why isn't 24 (TV series) getting a Blu-ray release?

According to Amazon at least, 24 is getting a new complete series set including Live Another Day on DVD but not on Blu-ray. Why isn't this coming to Blu-ray? I thought 24 was pretty popular, and I would think it would be a big seller. I can understand obscure shows not getting a Blu-ray release, but 24 not getting a Blu-ray release just doesn't make sense.
Old 09-01-14, 06:58 PM   #2
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Why isn't 24 (TV series) getting a Blu-ray release?

This has been covered before. Seasons 7 and 8 along with Live Another Day are/will be on Blu Ray. But, a complete series isn't happening.

TV on Blu-Ray, especially for FOX, has been poor sellers. They have discontinued producing BDs for a few of their shows including Modern Family and Bones. Many FOX titles only get DVD releases.

Back to 24, Seasons 1-3 were shot in SD Enhanced Widescreen. Season 4 was the first time it was broadcast in HD. All the seasons can be watched in HD on Directv's Audience Network or Amazon Prime, but FOX doesn't want to spend the money to master them to disc apparently. I don't know the technical aspects, but I've read that mastering them to disc is expensive. So it's probably not worth it for FOX to risk doing it. The reality is that most people just don't want to spend the money on catalog titles anymore. Complete Series sets, especially on BD, aren't cheap. Look at all the hesitation in the Breaking Bad complete series thread on whether or not to buy that set. And that is one of the most popular shows in this forum. Most in that thread think the sets are too expensive. And now you think people will spend a couple hundred bucks on 24?

Last edited by DJariya; 09-01-14 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-01-14, 07:55 PM   #3
DVD Talk Hero

Thankfully we can own Dick Van Dyke and Little House on the Praire though.
Old 09-01-14, 08:02 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

There's always the possibility Fox releases it in others territories on Blu-ray.

Universal has released House as a Complete Series box in the UK, Germany, and soon France. Only the last 3 seasons were released on BD here. Although, from what I've read, they cheapened Seasons 6 - 8 and re-authored them without lossless audio and used standard DD 5.1 as a cost-saving measure for the amount of discs needed.

Last edited by My Other Self; 09-01-14 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-02-14, 08:48 AM   #5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Possibly, but decidedly unlikely. The market for TV on Blu is demonstrably pretty small, and for archival stuff, smaller still .
Gillian Flynn

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 09-02-14 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-02-14, 10:07 AM   #6
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Back to 24, Seasons 1-3 were shot in SD Enhanced Widescreen.
Nah, it was shot on film. How they originally aired doesn't necessarily reflect a limitation of the source material. Plenty of those 'enhanced widescreen' series on Fox have popped up in HD since then.

With HD masters clearly already handy, there's nothing technical getting in the way (unless Fox just isn't happy with the way those early seasons look in high-def).
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 05-31-17, 09:42 AM   #7
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, this MIGHT be good news. The remaining six seasons of 24 are getting released in Japan on July 21st. All six seasons are available for preorder on Amazon Japan. Fingers crossed for a US release.

Old 06-02-17, 06:16 AM   #8
DVD Talk Reviewer

"Legacy" has been unofficially cancelled, right? I read somewhere that Corey Hawkins was essentially allowed out of his contract to do a Broadway show. I never got past the second episode...I didn't care for it at all.
Old 06-03-17, 09:29 PM   #9
DVD Talk Godfather

I wonder if those will be region free. I'm down for revisiting seasons 1-3 & 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
"Legacy" has been unofficially cancelled, right? I read somewhere that Corey Hawkins was essentially allowed out of his contract to do a Broadway show. I never got past the second episode...I didn't care for it at all.
Same...so far. I started it when it aired, but let it pile up on the tivo for summer viewing.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 06-03-17, 10:06 PM   #10
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I wonder if those will be region free. I'm down for revisiting seasons 1-3 & 5.
Japan and the U.S. share the same region code, unless you really want a region free Blu-ray.
Old 06-04-17, 01:34 AM   #11
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As much as I love "24", I'll skip the blu-ray releases. Though hopefully any new releases will pick up some new fans.

I finished 24 Legacy and I'm on the fence about getting the eventual blu-ray release. It was a lazy attempt at trying to revive the franchise. It didn't fool anybody.
Old 06-04-17, 06:10 AM   #12
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
Japan and the U.S. share the same region code, unless you really want a region free Blu-ray.
That's what I meant.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 06-05-17, 03:16 PM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

Off topic but reading this thread makes me miss a couple posters. I always wondered what happened to My Other Self as it seems like he was here one day and then just never came back and even taffer while annoying at times was entertaining.
Old 06-06-17, 12:05 AM   #14
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Off topic but reading this thread makes me miss a couple posters. I always wondered what happened to My Other Self as it seems like he was here one day and then just never came back and even taffer while annoying at times was entertaining.
I saw who posted this thread and stopped clicked because I thought maybe he was back.
Old 06-19-17, 07:26 PM   #15
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apparently the Japanese releases just have lossy audio. If they were exclusive to Japan and decidedly not trial runs for a U.S. release, I'd be disappointed but not surprised.