Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien: 35th Anniversary Edition -- 10/7/14

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Alien: 35th Anniversary Edition -- 10/7/14

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-14, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: Alien: 35th Anniversary Edition -- 10/7/14

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Fox would first have to acknowledge that there was anything wrong with the color timing on the previous Blu-rays, which they have not done.

As grossly tealified as they may be, the transfers for both Alien and Aliens were director approved, and neither one is as controversial as The French Connection (where the movie's DP publicly berated the director for what he did to the movie).

There is zero chance that these discs will be any different than the existing Blu-ray transfers. This is just a repackaging and reissue.
Agree with the second two points.
The thing about the first point is Fox never has to admit there is a "problem" because of course there isn't one. Especially if you think revisionism by the director is sacrosanct.
OTOH, maybe in another 5years when they want to re-sell it again, they can "re-master" it and change the color grading yet again (and hopefully back) so that people/reviewers will look at it and actually see a perceptible difference and then have Scott pen a little note (to be reproduced and packed in with every set) about how he personally supervised this release to be as authentic to the original look...yadda yadda yadda.
Won't hold my breath, but I'll never say it can't happen. Hopefully if more "full color" movies ala Guardians prove profitable and popular, older directors like Scott will be more tempted to get over the teal/orange fetish.

Glad I don't give a shit because no one really knows what the "color timing" is supposed to be anyway. The box set is good enough
...and you would be wrong. Scott is on record as saying the color grading on the 1999 DVD is accurate to the theatrical timing. The Bd was clearly designed for people like yourself, who don't give a shit cause it looks cool enough and anyway, those kinds of subtle distinctions are beneath the concern of peoplw who get laid regularly.
Old 08-04-14, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Seriously doubt it was a print at all, probably a DCP.
Seattle Cinerama isn't some chain theater... but whatever, it looked great to me.
Old 08-04-14, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Times like this are when I'm glad to be color deficient.
Old 08-04-14, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Artman
Seattle Cinerama isn't some chain theater... but whatever, it looked great to me.
I'm sure it did, I just would guess that prints of much of anything are in increasingly short supply these days .
Old 08-05-14, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
In fact, given the owner (uber sci-fi geek Paul Allen), it might be an original print he picked up among the other things he collects.
Old 08-05-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
OTOH, maybe in another 5years when they want to re-sell it again, they can "re-master" it and change the color grading yet again (and hopefully back)
More likely, in the future some new color grading fad will sweep the industry (neon pink and lime green!), and directors like Scott and Cameron will tell fans that old movies like Alien and Aliens were always those colors all along.
Old 08-05-14, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I hear that. The people going on about the colors on that one have a lot of explaining to do IMO, but so far there has only been *crickets*. To the point where they should lose a lot of credibility when it comes to reviewing discs.
Give it a rest. I'm buried in another project and haven't had time to rewatch the Thief Blu-ray to comment on the accuracy of the screencaps. I'll take another look at it when I feel like it.
Old 08-05-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Give it a rest. I'm buried in another project and haven't had time to rewatch the Thief Blu-ray to comment on the accuracy of the screencaps. I'll take another look at it when I feel like it.
Why? Because Mr. my opinions are facts doesn't like to be challenged?

I re-read your posts in that Thief thread. Having you admit now that you haven't even watched the blu-ray in question makes it all very clear. Credibility - Gone!

Last edited by hdnmickey; 08-05-14 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-05-14, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I have never noticed color timing being changed on a release except for Fellowship Of The Ring. I would never have noticed that if it wasn't pointed out in advance. I like the look of the Alien BD, now if John Hurt had been replaced by Hayden Christensen then I would be pissed.
Old 08-05-14, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I have never noticed color timing being changed on a release except for Fellowship Of The Ring. I would never have noticed that if it wasn't pointed out in advance.
I believe that was another case where a bunch of really messed up screen caps were produced that many people treated them as facts without ever actually watching the discs and confirming them as accurate.
Old 08-05-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I believe that was another case where a bunch of really messed up screen caps were produced that many people treated them as facts without ever actually watching the discs and confirming them as accurate.
Not to derail the thread bu the differences between DVD and the BD releases are
really noticeable in a few scenes to me. The Shire looks nice and sunny on the DVD and the on the BD it looks overcast and and about to rain. The snow looks a bit weird on the BD too.
Old 08-05-14, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Not to derail the thread bu the differences between DVD and the BD releases are
really noticeable in a few scenes to me. The Shire looks nice and sunny on the DVD and the on the BD it looks overcast and and about to rain. The snow looks a bit weird on the BD too.
Understood. The snow is the one part that looked different to me as well. But I was also agreeing with the part of the previous post that said I wouldn't even notice it was off had I not been told about it. Not as bad as other examples out there, and definately not matching the bad screen caps floating around.
Old 08-05-14, 01:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

How much snow was in Alien? This is the Alien thread, right?
Old 08-05-14, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
How much snow was in Alien?
None.
Old 08-05-14, 04:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You guys don't remember the scene where Ripley, her family killed on her wedding day by the Alien, finally tracks the Alien down to the nightclub his gang runs, and after brutally slaughtering 88 helper Aliens, she has a samurai sword fight with the Alien in a Zen garden in pristine white snow?

God, it's like some of you haven't even watched the movie.
Old 08-05-14, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Supermallet
You guys don't remember the scene where Ripley, her family killed on her wedding day by the Alien, finally tracks the Alien down to the nightclub his gang runs, and after brutally slaughtering 88 helper Aliens, she has a samurai sword fight with the Alien in a Zen garden in pristine white snow?

God, it's like some of you haven't even watched the movie.
That was Sucker Punch, fool. Or Kill Bill.
Old 08-05-14, 06:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would never ever EVER reference Sucker Punch without making it clear that I think it's an awful, awful movie. Awful. Simply the worst.
Old 08-05-14, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would never ever EVER reference Sucker Punch without making it clear that I think it's an awful, awful movie. Awful. Simply the worst.
Tell me about it. The worst major theatrical movie I've seen in a very long time.

I blind-bought the Blu-ray in a $7 bin at Best Buy, because how bad could it be?

I had no idea. I gave Zack Snyder money, and I'm so very, very sorry.
Old 08-05-14, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not disagreeing.
Old 08-05-14, 07:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As a technical piece, it's got great visual and audio. Too bad it has not a ounce of soul in it. Even the action , while cool looking, lacks any impact to actually be good.

I don't hate it but I don't know why I still have it. I bought it cuz I was bored.
Old 08-05-14, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Terrible cover.

I'm surprised this got a re-release but not Stargate (1994).
The gods must have heard you.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/621...0-28-14-a.html
Old 08-05-14, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Lol, when I saw the Stargate announcement the first thing I thought of was Ranger's post.
Old 08-05-14, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't want to hear about your job! It is your job to serve US , not whoever pays you!

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 08-05-14 at 10:18 PM.
Old 08-06-14, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why? Because Mr. my opinions are facts doesn't like to be challenged?
Because you're annoying and my life does not revolve around serving your demands.

I re-read your posts in that Thief thread. Having you admit now that you haven't even watched the blu-ray in question makes it all very clear. Credibility - Gone!
Are you unfamiliar with the meaning of the word "rewatch"?
Old 08-06-14, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD

...and you would be wrong. Scott is on record as saying the color grading on the 1999 DVD is accurate to the theatrical timing. The Bd was clearly designed for people like yourself, who don't give a shit cause it looks cool enough and anyway, those kinds of subtle distinctions are beneath the concern of peoplw who get laid regularly.
No I wouldn't, so much time has passed since the original version and changed so much over time... as we have seen even directors don't recall what they wanted. You should follow your own advice I can feel your blood pressure rise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.