Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Are you getting Blu-ray remorse?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: Do you have Blu-ray remorse?
Yes
14.56%
No
63.11%
What are you high?
22.33%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Are you getting Blu-ray remorse?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-14, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Are you getting Blu-ray remorse?

I'm coming to the same conclusion. I have way too much to ever find time to watch and I move too often to keep packing and unpacking everything. I realized I hardly re-watch movies anymore. By next year, I'll probably sell 95% of my collection. I also need the money for more important things.
Old 07-24-14, 10:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

So many blu's and DVD's I've never seen on any streaming service. Sometimes it's just not worth it when my mom and pop want to watch a random movie or show, and having to search all the streaming services. I'm happy with what I've got. Sure, I may not get around to watching many repeatedly, but between lending out my stuff to family and close friends, combined with using the Ultraviolet codes for my family to stream in their own homes, I'm not feeling much remorse. More remorse that Blu isn't still as prevalent at B&M stores anymore, but I have a feeling it won't completely disappear.
Old 07-24-14, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

A lot of you talk about superior content and more availability of discs vs. streaming... that's what Netflix Blu or Netflix DVD is for
Old 07-24-14, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
I think the expansion of so much digital content available instantly has made me regret much of my physical media.

I never thought I'd say this, but if I knew then what I know now; I wouldn't own more than a handful of DVDs and BDs.
Careful, Trevor. A Hollywood exec reading this is now contemplating a jump from his high-rise office if you are forsaking physical media. Once they've lost people like you, it's over for their revenues.
Old 07-24-14, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Sort of; along with others in the Alan Smithee hoarding thread, I decided to clear out a ton of movies that I only watched once. I'm trimming down to only movies I really really like or would watch more often, as I find myself and my fiancee not sitting down and watching movies as often and just tuning in to Netflix or doing something else entirely.
Old 07-25-14, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

No remorse for me. Whether on DVD or Blu, I've tried to be cautious on how much I've spent on each title (thanks mainly to the bargain forums here). So I don't regret what I've paid for my collection. And while my unwatched pile is still large, I do spend a great deal of time watching what I have. As a result, I appreciate what I have and I enjoy it.
Old 07-25-14, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I sometimes get remorse when I upgrade a dvd to a blu ray when the dvd is a really good set already.

I got remorse for going as long as I did buying dvd's when Blu Ray came out. I regret some things I bought on dvd when I should have bought the Blu Ray instead, even if I didn't have the player or HD tv yet.

Nowadays I regret missing a good sale , a limited edition or a really cool slip cover.
Old 07-25-14, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Of the medium, no. Lack of space, yes. People thought I was nuts when I sold my cases and trashed the artwork, etc, and bought 3 of the 400 dvd disc holders. Hey, now I have space again. That Alan Smithee hoarder thread also made me rethink buying just for the sake of buying shit.
Old 07-25-14, 07:53 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Of the medium, no. Lack of space, yes. People thought I was nuts when I sold my cases and trashed the artwork, etc, and bought 3 of the 400 dvd disc holders. Hey, now I have space again. That Alan Smithee hoarder thread also made me rethink buying just for the sake of buying shit.
how do you find a movie in those disc holder things?
Old 07-25-14, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely not. Last year, I built floor-to-ceiling shelves that almost completely cover three walls of our office. I've still got plenty of room for growth (and even more as I upgrade dvds to blu).
Old 07-25-14, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

No remorse but like others I have cut back on what I buy and I hardly do blind buys anymore. Organizing my DVDs in binders is on my to do list.
Old 07-25-14, 09:35 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
I sometimes get remorse when I upgrade a dvd to a blu ray when the dvd is a really good set already.

I got remorse for going as long as I did buying dvd's when Blu Ray came out. I regret some things I bought on dvd when I should have bought the Blu Ray instead, even if I didn't have the player
or HD tv yet.

Nowadays I regret missing a good sale , a limited edition or a really cool slip cover.
This for me too.
Old 07-25-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I had DVD remorse, let me bypass blu-ray remorse entirely.
Old 07-25-14, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

No, I learned my lesson with DVD. I'm much more discriminating with what I buy on Blu.
Old 07-25-14, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
how do you find a movie in those disc holder things?
I flip through the page sleeves.

EDIT - I should also mention that the only BD's that I currently keep in their boxes/cases are just my Criterion Collection titles.
Old 07-25-14, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Huge DVD remorse. I bought more crap I shouldn't have, than should.

Blu-rays I certainly have a bunch I know I don't need, but I think anything you buy in quantity you'll end up with a few stinkers. I am so careful about what I buy these days very few turn out to be poor decisions. I have a bunch a crappy comedies from back in the days of the BB 5 for $20 sale and I needed to find 5. Not that I don't like them. Just quite a few I didn't need to own.
Old 07-25-14, 11:50 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes. Have sold a ton and expanded my UV collection to over 1500.
Old 07-25-14, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

None for me. I built my own home theater two years ago and included a 5x16 closet that's nothing but floor to ceiling shelving for my movies, albums, games and books, so everything's out of the way and not an eye sore. I've got a projector and 10' screen and the difference between blu-ray and dvd/streaming is extremely apparent. The only way I see myself ever having remorse over my collection is if the discs start going bad, which hopefully won't be an issue.
Old 07-25-14, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Sort of; along with others in the Alan Smithee hoarding thread, I decided to clear out a ton of movies that I only watched once. I'm trimming down to only movies I really really like or would watch more often, as I find myself and my fiancee not sitting down and watching movies as often and just tuning in to Netflix or doing something else entirely.
Same here. Just unloaded about 50 discs to Amoeba, and now considering dumping all but a handful of treasured Criterions (Chungking Express, In the Mood For Love, Godzilla, Seven Samurai, etc.) in the near future. Whatever time my fiancee and I spend in front of the TV, it's to catch up on buzzed-about TV shows (just finished Fargo) and an occasional new-ish movie release.

The couple of hundred titles I owned was definitely result of collector's mentality and I now wish I would have used that money on travel instead. I might buy a Criterion release in the future, but can't imagine ever spending another dime on a non-Criterion release.
Old 07-25-14, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm

I got remorse for going as long as I did buying dvd's when Blu Ray came out. I regret some things I bought on dvd when I should have bought the Blu Ray instead, even if I didn't have the player or HD tv yet.

Originally Posted by dex14
This for me too.
Mostly this. Although now I'm starting to replace a few Blu-ray movies with newer improved scans on Blu-ray. This behavior has me rethinking buying anything and have nearly stopped buying/replacing anything in my collection (aside from the recent B&N Criterion sale).

I'm trying to stick with only replacing something I don't already own on either format. Not easy.
Old 07-25-14, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think part of it that so much stuff that you just couldn't get at all was available when DVD was new that a lot people were snapping it up. First chance to see a lot of it in OAR too. I'm sure many purchases were one and done, let's be honest, and with Blu, people are probably more judicious. It's what made the DVD market such a perfect storm. The biggest downside is that it's so much harder to made an HD master for older stuff, especially with the market tanked the way it is. I'm a big physical media proponent, but I'd have to be an idiot not to realize that not only is digital the future, but the appeal of being able to watching something once and not have it clutter up space is pretty appealing. It's sad for collectors and more hardcore fans, but I have to be realistic and look at the big picture too. Plus, there isn't any denying the huge amount of stuff available is hard for anybody to turn down. Reality isn't a nice place, but I have to live here.
Old 07-25-14, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Careful, Trevor. A Hollywood exec reading this is now contemplating a jump from his high-rise office if you are forsaking physical media. Once they've lost people like you, it's over for their revenues.
I don't love it, but thinks are changing. Hollywood and the distributors may not like it, but the world has changed so much that they're going to have to adopt a new business model to keep functioning.
Old 07-25-14, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel a little remorse, but not too much. I have a little over 850 movies now and have been collecting since 2006. There are about 100 that I realize I shouldn't have bought since I've had them for over a year without watching them. But most of those were only a couple bucks at the Blockbuster store closing sales or at Best Buy trade in save (thought I would never say it, but thank god that's over).

The nice thing though is we don't have cable, so that's between $60 - $100 a month we are saving. And our library gets a lot of the new releases, so I never blind buy anything.

So in the end, there are some things I regret buying, but overall I'm pretty satisfied with my collection.
Old 07-26-14, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Not really but I think that's because I never really got into the blind-buy phenomenon for Blu's or DVDs. I have dumped a fair amount of DVDs over the years and I often use the Blu's as a measure: do I want to upgrade? If I don't want to upgrade is it because I don't like the film anymore or just because it's too damn expensive or there's a feature missing or the transfer is faulty? If I don't like the title anymore I give it to a friend or donate it to the local library - I just dumped seasons 8 & 9 of The X-Files have re-watching them and realizing I just couldn't tolerate them anymore.

The completist in me has also gone away. I used to be that person who if I owned one season of a series then I had to own them all. Not anymore. That has saved all manner of shelf space. As I've been upgrading Star Trek: TNG to blu, I felt absolutely no need to purchase season one because I didn't enjoy it.

I also purchase way fewer new releases owing to the fact that there just hasn't been that many contemporary films that have appealed to me.

Overall I've whittled my collection down to about 300 titles that I enjoy and watch on a fairly regular basis.
Old 07-26-14, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

No remorse, really. I still wish HD DVD had won the war, but that's a different topic. I wonder if Sony has Blu-ray remorse?

I do have some remorse for the ridiculously overpriced titles I bought when the format was new. $35 for The Simpsons Movie? Yea.

I haven't been a rampant blind-buyer, but for those few clunkers I did get, I recouped most of my money through sales.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.