Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The future is here, boys. Flexible OLED

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-14, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

The roll-up TV is here! As a prototype.

LG showed off its paper-thin 18-inch display this week. Just 1200 x 800 resolution but by 2017 they say they will have 50" flexible ultra-HD tvs.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/11...ble-oled-panel

Not sure if this is new but this is the first I've heard of a flexible display tech, apart from sci-fi.
Old 07-12-14, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The future is here, boys. Flexible OLED

I can see how this technology would be useful for advertising and display purposes, but I fail to see how this will have any home application.

I doubt that the curved screen sets are flying off the shelves right now and we know that's a mostly useless gimmick.

An iPad or other tablet that you can roll up and put in your pocket would be pretty cool though.
Old 07-12-14, 01:42 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A roll up TV would be useful for moving. Roll up tablets/ereaders would be really really useful though.
Old 07-12-14, 11:48 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Id like to know what kind of pressure such a thing could handle over time.
Old 07-12-14, 12:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

It'll probably have only coaxial jacks only. Asses.
Old 07-12-14, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That's what I was wondering. I could maybe see this being useful for people who stay in hotels often, but other than that, what would do you with it? It can only roll one way, right? So even if you roll it up it's the same length. If you roll it up into, say, a backpack, it's going to take up the same area as a thin tablet but in a thick roll.

How would it work for tablets? You'd have to have a flat surface to set it down on, and then it may not be at a good angle. You couldn't hold it in one hand and point with the other like a real tablet.

One possibility I could see, if it's large enough, is for a pull-down screen to replace a projection screen of that type.
Old 07-12-14, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm excited about the paper-thin stuff, not the flexible roll-up. Guess I should have added the paper-thin part in the title.

I see it saving a lot of space in the home and making it much easier to hang on the wall.
Old 07-12-14, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

What this will be useful for is having super-large 100"+ TV screens. Currently, screens that size are limited to the realm of projectors, because it's just not practical to get a giant TV like that inside a house without knocking down and rebuilding a wall (or building the whole house around the TV). And if you do either of those things, you're stuck with that TV forever and can't ever upgrade.

A roll-up OLED will let you tote a giant screen through your door, down into the basement, wherever you want to put it. And you can pull it right out in a couple years when you want to upgrade to a better model.
Old 07-12-14, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Supermallet
A roll up TV would be useful for moving. Roll up tablets/ereaders would be really really useful though.
I've actually thought that more than once. Having an iPad or Kindle that you could shirk down into your pocket then expand to proper size would be cool.
Old 07-14-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

How's the motion blur on these screens? Or the contrast-ratio, black levels, etc.?
Old 07-14-14, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
How's the motion blur on these screens? Or the contrast-ratio, black levels, etc.?
I was wondering that. Supposedly OLED is a new Plasma-type big-bad and for a better price too. That sounds way too good to be true to me, but I don't think I've ever seen in displayed.

Originally Posted by Josh Z
What this will be useful for is having super-large 100"+ TV screens. Currently, screens that size are limited to the realm of projectors, because it's just not practical to get a giant TV like that inside a house without knocking down and rebuilding a wall (or building the whole house around the TV). And if you do either of those things, you're stuck with that TV forever and can't ever upgrade. A roll-up OLED will let you tote a giant screen through your door, down into the basement, wherever you want to put it. And you can pull it right out in a couple years when you want to upgrade to a better model.
Or just have your servants do it if you have enough money to pay for a new 100-inch HDTV every few years .

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 07-14-14 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-14-14, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Pure blacks, approaching infinite contrast ratio (with no bleed!), high light output, none of the viewing angle issues with LCD, and, depending on the implementation, no motion blur. The lack of motion blur is why the Oculus Rift switched to OLED. It has its share of issues, but when the technology matures, I think we're lookin' at the holy grail of home theater tech.
Old 07-14-14, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Good. Hopefully my Panny plasma will hold out until these OLED screens are affordable.
Old 07-15-14, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Pure blacks, approaching infinite contrast ratio (with no bleed!), high light output, none of the viewing angle issues with LCD, and, depending on the implementation, no motion blur. The lack of motion blur is why the Oculus Rift switched to OLED. It has its share of issues, but when the technology matures, I think we're lookin' at the holy grail of home theater tech.
As long as they don't stay exclusively with the curved screen approach that the early models have, I'm excited. My main viewing TV will be ready for an upgrade about the time OLED is affordable, I think.
Old 07-15-14, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

I like my TVs like I like my women, flexible and oiled....ooops, sorry, read that wrong
Old 07-15-14, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Did anyone buy those Vizio ultra widescreen TVs that had the true cinema aspect ratio?

http://gizmodo.com/5874734/ultrawide...eyre-on-a-roll
Old 07-15-14, 07:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

pre-ordered!
Old 07-22-14, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

<iframe width="674" height="382" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AxbHpXE4VM0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>