Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Batman 60s TV Series Coming November 2014 in Blu-ray!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Batman 60s TV Series Coming November 2014 in Blu-ray!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-14, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: Batman 60s TV Series Coming November 2014 in Blu-ray!

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah I'm thinking of ordering from WB Shop but am a little wary about them after their issue with card information being compromised earlier this year.
I would expect that any high profile brand name retailer would go the extra mile once they've been hacked to make sure it doesn't happen again so easily. They are probably the least likely to be complacent.
You can usually contain the PR damage with one incident. But if it happens again, you're toast as a brand. People are going to stay away in droves.

Only saved $40 over Amazon after tax, but $40 is $40.
Every year when there is a big Warner boxset, it seems the best price for me is through WB Shop with a coupon. Ben Hur, James Dean...pretty used to it by now.
Old 07-27-14, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I'm thinking of ordering from WB Shop but am a little wary about them after their issue with card information being compromised earlier this year.
Yeah, that's been my concern too. That whole fiasco ruined the end of a vacation for me last year. Since they accept PayPal now, though, I'm more inclined to place another order.
Old 07-27-14, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I think WBshop might charge upfront when you pay by Paypal.
Old 07-28-14, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Apply code: RETAILME20HE (possibly expires on 7/31)
Thanks for this...saved $43 over my Amazon pre-order!
Old 07-28-14, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

If you used the Mr Rebates links then you should have already gotten some cash back. I got back roughly $16.

I basically saved $60 using that code in combination with the rebate codes.
Old 07-28-14, 03:08 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coupon is not working.

Says "The items in the cart does not yet meet the conditions of this coupon."
Old 07-28-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Huh, then it may have expired already. Some were speculating that it would expire on 7/31, so I guess they were wrong?
Old 07-28-14, 03:44 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think WBshop might charge upfront when you pay by Paypal.
All retailers require you pay up-front when you pay by PayPal.

I still think this set will be cheaper when it hits Blowitoutahere.com with one of their 15% off sales. Either way, I can wait.
Old 07-28-14, 05:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Old 07-30-14, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

^ Maybe WB should spend a little less on the packaging and fluff, and a bit more effort on producing a top-notch stellar encode for this pivotal release?
Old 07-30-14, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
If you used the Mr Rebates links then you should have already gotten some cash back. I got back roughly $16.

I basically saved $60 using that code in combination with the rebate codes.
Yep $10.64 + $5, but the $10.64 won't be available for 90 days to allow for returns.

$136.35 shipped. Amazon was $204.29. $67.94 cheaper. 33% cheaper!
Old 07-31-14, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle
^ Maybe WB should spend a little less on the packaging and fluff, and a bit more effort on producing a top-notch stellar encode for this pivotal release?
I doubt the packaging/non-disc extras had much to do with the pricing. Quite the contrary - they probably realized how much they'd need to charge for this set to turn a healthy profit and decided to add some appeal by throwing in some extras that cost them almost nothing to add to the set.
Old 07-31-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Until the set is released, we don't know that there's anything wrong with the encoding. Let's please hold off on the complaining until someone actually finds an issue worth complaining about.
Old 07-31-14, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I wish the Blu set was in a more self contained box/case like the DVD set, but oh well.
Old 07-31-14, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I don't mind the big box style for something like this. I still kind of think the artwork is pretty disappointing though and the poses they chose for Batman and Robin are sort of weird, but whatever I guess it's the content that counts and I've wanted this show available on home video for ages.
Old 07-31-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Meanwhile....
another release that had to go through exhaustive legal wrangling/hoops/and expense to get released, just increased it's produced extra features by another 8 hours for a total of 23 hours of newly produced content.
In addition the show (nearly the same amount of episodes as Batman) is spread across 26 discs and everything is housed in a much more expensively produced 'metal' locker....and everything comes in just $50 more for the equivalent DVD release of Batman.
Spoiler:

Fairfax, VA - Production has just wrapped on the exclusive extras for THE WONDER YEARS COMPLETE SERIES - including featurettes, commentary, in-depth interviews and more - and StarVista Entertainment/Time Life is excited to announce that eight additional hours of bonus programming will be added to the DVD set, for a total of 23 hours (from the originally announced 15)! THE WONDER YEARS COMPLETE SERIES is available for pre-orders now at TimeLife.com/WonderYears.

The new bonus features include:

Commentary of the first kiss outtakes by Fred (Savage) and Danica (McKellar). As previously announced, the DVD set will include all six takes of the legendary first kiss from Pilot episode, with Fred and Danica originally only commenting on Take #6. Now, the set features commentary from the stars on the previous five takes, and they explain how they nailed it on take #6.
"That's a Wrap! Mark B. Perry's Farewell Set Tour Season 5" - Writer/Producer Mark B. Perry's home video set tour from the end of his final season on the show, which includes new commentary from him.
"From the Vault: Alley Mills and Bob Brush Letters" - Alley Mills reads her emotional, written conversation with Executive Producer Bob Brush about the show's finale.
The one-hour finale as it was originally aired on ABC on May 12, 1993, including a deleted scene not included in the half-hour broadcasts of the final two episodes (both the one-hour finale and half-hour versions of the final two episodes will be included in the extras).

Expanded featurettes including:

"I Love You for Sentimental Reasons: Fan Favorite Episodes" - This featurette was produced using comments posted by fans on the official StarVista Entertainment/Time Life Wonder Years Facebook page (if your quote is below, you're in the featurette!)
"...the (episode) where Kevin and Wayne fight about the empty bedroom"
"The final scene with Wart is absolutely brutal"
"I love (the episode) where they can see their neighbor's....uh, tomatoes!"
"Any episode with Becky Slater"

"We're thrilled to be adding eight new hours of bonus programming to the already robust set of extras," says Jeffrey Peisch, the Senior Vice President, Entertainment Programming & Marketing for StarVista Entertainment/Time Life. "Thanks to our creative, hard-working production team and the incredibly supportive cast and crew of The Wonder Years, we're going to be delivering a set sure to thrill series fans, who've been eagerly awaiting its release for years."

Never before released on DVD in its entirety - and available now for pre-order - THE WONDER YEARS COMPLETE SERIES will be presented as a 26-disc collector's set featuring all 115 episodes housed in a replica metal locker, along with a host of extras including 23 total hours of specially-produced bonus programming: featurettes, an incredible cast reunion 16 years in the making, and never-before-seen outtakes. THE WONDER YEARS COMPLETE SERIES will be available exclusively online at TimeLife.com/WonderYears for $249.95.

Taken from: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Won...omplete-Series

The point being- if you can't do extra content properly, just release a less expensive bare bones set without the crap. And if you are going to up-sell for a 'special' set, make sure you include supplemental content that fans actually want, not just what is the cheapest for you to produce or outsource. PSAs, bumpers, promos, material relating to the production and original release of the show is of primary interest.
celebrity interviews from people who are popular now but have no creative connection to the material is a waste of my time and yours. Save that shit for promoting the release on youtube.
Old 07-31-14, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Yeah well Shout Factory pretty much is all about specialty releases and I think they know that their fans will eat up the releases if they do them right rather than half assed. I think that makes them have a higher standard for themselves when releasing something as opposed to Warner Bros. who let's face it just want to churn something out as quick as they can to cash in. Not that both of them aren't in it to make money but I think for Warner it's just another property that they own and have the rights to release whereas Shout has to obtain the rights to license official product and release them so I think they're a bit more motivated to do the package right the first time. I agree that the Batman set while I'm happy it is finally coming is a bit on the disappointing side compared to what we all had anticipated for years of our waiting.
Old 07-31-14, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Should have also pointed out that if you order this set via Amazon UK it comes to $159.97 shipped. It will most likely be region free, too.
Old 07-31-14, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Unlike The Wonder Years though I think this set is also limited in extras from the fact that everyone who is involved in the show is dead with the obvious exceptions. So regardless all your special features will have to revolve around those four.

Come to think of it, I wonder why Yvonne wasn't at comic con?
Old 07-31-14, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Come to think of it, I wonder why Yvonne wasn't at comic con?
Outside of voice over work recently, looks like she's pretty much retired. The Con might not be her thing or she wasn't particularly proud of her time on the show. Who knows.
Old 07-31-14, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by robin2099
Unlike The Wonder Years though I think this set is also limited in extras from the fact that everyone who is involved in the show is dead with the obvious exceptions. So regardless all your special features will have to revolve around those four.
Another reason, though, that it's a shame they didn't get some commentaries from West and Ward...those guys aren't as young as springtime anymore, and this was probably the only opportunity to get their thoughts on some episodes captured for posterity.
Old 07-31-14, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The extras for what they are were the very least of my concerns. I'm just glad that this finally got released after so many years that DVD/BD's have been in existence. In fact I would've paid the same price for a bare bone edition if that were the case. Everything else is just gravy. That said, if I were involved in this I would've gone in a different direction from the celebrity interviews. Granted that many of the actors in this series are long gone, I would've interviewed as many of the surviving ones for their take/stories on each episode, with Adam West, Burt Ward, Julie Newmar etc. doing most of them. But I think what it really boils down to is how cost effective this would've been for this and/or other desired extras and having it ready for the holiday season. Nevertheless from what I read so far it seems to be selling well.

Last edited by WOODPRODUCTIONS; 07-31-14 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-01-14, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
The point being- if you can't do extra content properly, just release a less expensive bare bones set without the crap. And if you are going to up-sell for a 'special' set, make sure you include supplemental content that fans actually want, not just what is the cheapest for you to produce or outsource. PSAs, bumpers, promos, material relating to the production and original release of the show is of primary interest.
celebrity interviews from people who are popular now but have no creative connection to the material is a waste of my time and yours. Save that shit for promoting the release on youtube.
THE WONDER YEARS just had to go through song clearances...they didn't have to deal with every estate of a lot of long-passed actors. On top of that, the cast of that show is still very-much around...there aren't too many people left that worked on BATMAN, hence the smaller number of features. I can almost guarantee that Warners went though a lot more hoops to clear these episodes, than what had to be done with THE WONDER YEARS. I can assure you they spent a lot more time and money to make it happen.
Old 08-01-14, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I don't mind the big box style for something like this. I still kind of think the artwork is pretty disappointing though and the poses they chose for Batman and Robin are sort of weird, but whatever I guess it's the content that counts and I've wanted this show available on home video for ages.
I would largely agree the art and graphic design of the box set are poor for such a long-awaited release.
Originally Posted by WOODPRODUCTIONS
The extras for what they are were the very least of my concerns. I'm just glad that this finally got released after so many years that DVD/BD's have been in existence. In fact I would've paid the same price for a bare bone edition if that were the case. Everything else is just gravy. That said, if I were involved in this I would've gone in a different direction from the celebrity interviews. Granted that many of the actors in this series are long gone, I would've interviewed as many of the surviving ones for their take/stories on each episode, with Adam West, Burt Ward, Julie Newmar etc. doing most of them. But I think what it really boils down to is how cost effective this would've been for this and/or other desired extras and having it ready for the holiday season. Nevertheless from what I read so far it seems to be selling well.
A fairly reliable source told me years ago that Fox actually interviewed a number of Batman's cast back in the 1980s for a possible home video release. Those archival interviews must have been lost in the intervening years it took to release this set or Warner didn't bother to hunt them down.
Old 08-01-14, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I would largely agree the art and graphic design of the box set are poor for such a long-awaited release.

A fairly reliable source told me years ago that Fox actually interviewed a number of Batman's cast back in the 1980s for a possible home video release. Those archival interviews must have been lost in the intervening years it took to release this set or Warner didn't bother to hunt them down.
Have to remember that although WB is releasing this, Fox owns the show, the prints, the negatives, etc. Fox would also own these 1980s interviews that WB would have to negotiate(pay) to use.
In the fall of 1966 or 67 there was a 30min tv special with West and Ward as Batman and Robin introducing all the new ABC shows for the coming season. Wonder who has that?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.