Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

NIGHTBREED Director's Cut coming from Scream Factory - Oct. 28

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

NIGHTBREED Director's Cut coming from Scream Factory - Oct. 28

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-14, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: NIGHTBREED Director's Cut coming from Scream Factory - Oct. 28

Awesome. Maybe we can finally get some decent bootlegs.
Old 07-17-14, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore

It boggles my mind that so many people over at the BD.com forums were blind buying this film at $60-80. It says so much about how they can't live without something someone else might have on their shelves. It's quite sad.
I can't imagine blind-buying any movie for $80. They're probably going to be disappointed, as I don't think the movie is that good. I'm mostly interested in this as a fan of Clive Barker's work, and this is one of the few movies I would pay this much for.
Old 07-17-14, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I bought the the LE because I love the film and it's one of my favorite films. I didn't buy it because I have (extreme) OCD and can't fathom the thought of not having this (purely) because it's an LE or from Shout/Scream Factory.
Same here. No OCD - just a fan of a title that I have been waiting for.

In fact, this is the first time I've paid anywhere near that much for a release and while I had an ever-so-brief bit of momentary hesitation once I ordered it (from Shout) I didn't give it another thought.

I look forward to this arriving....
Old 07-17-14, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The niche distributors in certain genres are starting to realize they can jack the price up on Blu-ray releases of popular titles. It's only a matter of time until Blu-ray pricing outside the mainstream releases resembles the Laserdisc market. This is what happens to movies with limited retail availability.
Agreed. I think we might be seeing more releases like this, limited editions priced in the $60-$100 area from the smaller companies. Buy the 2-disc special edition, numbered and limited to 3000 copies for $60 exclusively from our website. One-disc editions, with no special features, will be available from other retailers for $30 MSRP. Easy way to make some big bucks. Easy way to pull in $180,000.
Old 07-17-14, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aren't these high prices required though for licensing of certain titles, contingent on the studio? WB in particular is the worst when it comes to having another label distribute any of their films.
Old 07-17-14, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I might buy the regular version, as I've never seen the DC. I just wish the LE had more to it. I mean, I just purchased Attack On Titan: LE, and it has a nice solid packaging with a booklet inside (of course, on the other extreme, FUNimation's edition is way too expensive for what you get). Couldn't Shout! Factory have commissioned somebody to make a booklet or SOMETHING to make the edition a little more worthy of collecting. I probably would have paid $80 if it had a nice color book.

EDIT: No, I'm not referring to a coloring book, where I would be coloring pages with my crayons.

Actually, come to think of it, that's not entirely a bad idea.
Old 07-17-14, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Yeah, you bought copies of a movie that you knew other people wanted so you could sell it to them at a huge markup, but we're the bad guys for not saying nice things about scalpers. Got it.

As for the news, I say good for Shout. How often does a niche title generate so much interest? Doesn't seem like a bait and switch to me at all.
This is absolutely bait-and-switch. Given the exorbitantly high price of the Blu-ray, its limited collectible status was its main selling point. Now, after selling through as many copies as the studio originally planned, that has gone completely away. 10,000 copies is not a "limited edition" for a catalog title on Blu-ray. That's about 10x more copies than most catalog titles on the format ever sell. And if Shout Factory does manage to hit the 10,000 ceiling, they've already set a precedent that they can just license and press more copies. You can't have a "limited edition" if the limit keeps getting raised anytime you approach it.

I pre-ordered the LE on Amazon. I never had any plans to scalp it. But I debated whether I actually thought it was worth the price asked. Under normal circumstances, I would wait for a price drop. However, I finally bit the bullet when it looked like it was on the verge of selling out. I didn't want to miss my opportunity to get it.

As it turns out, there was never any risk of that happening. Shout Factory lied about how many copies would be made available. It's highly unlikely that the disc will sell out at the new limit (if there even is a limit at all), and an eventual price drop seems inevitable.

I feel like I was scammed and am considering whether to cancel my preorder.

This is not the first time Shout Factory has done something like this. Back in the day, I purchased the Freaks and Geeks "Yearbook Edition" DVD set which the studio swore up and down was a one-time-only, you’ll-never-see-it-again-unless-you-purchase-it-right-away limited edition. Then of course they reissued the damn thing a year later, and copies can still easily be found for less money than I paid originally.
Old 07-17-14, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
This is absolutely bait-and-switch. Given the exorbitantly high price of the Blu-ray, its limited collectible status was its main selling point. Now, after selling through as many copies as the studio originally planned, that has gone completely away. 10,000 copies is not a "limited edition" for a catalog title on Blu-ray. That's about 10x more copies than most catalog titles on the format ever sell. And if Shout Factory does manage to hit the 10,000 ceiling, they've already set a precedent that they can just license and press more copies. You can't have a "limited edition" if the limit keeps getting raised anytime you approach it.

I pre-ordered the LE on Amazon. I never had any plans to scalp it. But I debated whether I actually thought it was worth the price asked. Under normal circumstances, I would wait for a price drop. However, I finally bit the bullet when it looked like it was on the verge of selling out. I didn't want to miss my opportunity to get it.

As it turns out, there was never any risk of that happening. Shout Factory lied about how many copies would be made available. It's highly unlikely that the disc will sell out at the new limit (if there even is a limit at all), and an eventual price drop seems inevitable.

This is not the first time Shout Factory has done something like this. Back in the day, I purchased the Freaks and Geeks "Yearbook Edition" DVD set which the studio swore up and down was a one-time-only, you’ll-never-see-it-again-unless-you-purchase-it-right-away limited edition. Then of course they reissued the damn thing a year later, and copies can still easily be found for less money than I paid originally.
Turns out we can agree on some things. In this case, every point made above.
Old 07-17-14, 10:29 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

i don't care that there is more of em now. but, i do hope i get below 1,000 like i am supposed to. at least that might have some kitsch value.
Old 07-17-14, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I remember the ultra limited boxed set of the UK version of Battle Royale also stipulated that only a few thousand would be made before the distributor came back and said that they were increasing production units. That also killed the scalpers market, as well.
Old 07-17-14, 10:46 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Good. That set rules. I just touched mine last night, actually.
Old 07-17-14, 11:31 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I just touched mine last night, actually.
i think this belongs in the adult forum...
Old 07-17-14, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I have no problem with Shout doubling their print run but my problem is that it doesn't sound so "limited". The hefty price tag doesn't have merit anymore. Shout should drop the price and I'm glad I got my order from Amazon so i wouldn't pay the full premium.
Old 07-17-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You'd think none of you guys were around during the Anchor Bay LE DVD days, when "limited" meant 100,000 units were produced. I'd say 10,000 is a reasonably small number all things considered.
Old 07-17-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh Z

Agreed.

I really wish these companies wouldn't play this limited edition bullshit game.

Scream should have either told Warners to stick the theatrical cut up their ass if they did actually charge them enough to punch the price up by $50 per unit, or released the regular edition with the second disc of bonus features instead of the useless DVD.

I'm more interested in the supplements than I am the theatrical cut, which I already have on DVD.
Old 07-17-14, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by islandclaws
You'd think none of you guys were around during the Anchor Bay LE DVD days, when "limited" meant 100,000 units were produced. I'd say 10,000 is a reasonably small number all things considered.
Well, it's not the number, it's the fact the company makes more of a product that was initially marketed as limited. People based their purchasing on the quantity available, Shout! Factory knew this, and took advantage of it. Not sure why, as they could have easily sold 10,000 initially without creating a "scarce, buy now!" atmosphere.

It's just unethical and a disservice to consumers.
Old 07-17-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Agreed. I think we might be seeing more releases like this, limited editions priced in the $60-$100 area from the smaller companies. Buy the 2-disc special edition, numbered and limited to 3000 copies for $60 exclusively from our website. One-disc editions, with no special features, will be available from other retailers for $30 MSRP. Easy way to make some big bucks. Easy way to pull in $180,000.
I think companies will eliminate the cheaper single-disc editions in favor of "limited" editions priced above $50. It is becoming a common strategy in the anime market, as we are seeing more and more special editions priced at or above $100 with no cheaper edition on the horizon.
Old 07-17-14, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I still have my tin set of The Beyond, which was a Limited Edition of 20,000!
Old 07-17-14, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not for a catalog title on Blu-ray. It's a different market today. "Limited Edition" implies that copies will be scarce if you don't buy it as soon as you get the opportunity. 10,000 copies of a catalog title on Blu-ray is way more than enough to satisfy demand for this title.
Old 07-17-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is frakkin' ridiculous. As a collector, I "might" buy my absolute favorite movie for this much in a true LE. But there's no way I'd pay this much for an OK horror flick like this. They are going to milk the market until it bursts ... and it will. Steelbooks are starting to see it. Zavvi is producing too damn many of them .. and the quality is becoming lower. I think collectors are willing to pay a little more (that is a reasonable price) for a truly quality product, but this is too much money .. and not enough quality.
Old 07-17-14, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by That'sAllFolks
This is frakkin' ridiculous. As a collector, I "might" buy my absolute favorite movie for this much in a true LE. But there's no way I'd pay this much for an OK horror flick like this. They are going to milk the market until it bursts ... and it will. Steelbooks are starting to see it. Zavvi is producing too damn many of them .. and the quality is becoming lower. I think collectors are willing to pay a little more (that is a reasonable price) for a truly quality product, but this is too much money .. and not enough quality.
With Nightbreed, we really don't know what the quality will be. The thing is, I'm sure that the majority of the work was put into the new Director's Cut, which is also available in the much lower-priced standard edition.

I recall going to a book signing years ago, where Barker was asked about Nightbreed. He said something to the effect of, "I know there's a good movie in there, but I just wasn't able to get it out. Maybe someday I'll get another chance." So the Director's Cut is finally his chance. One can hope that it will be put together well and nicely remastered.

But what this means is that the extra $55 for the Limited Edition gets you a copy of the theatrical cut licensed from Warner Bros., presumably from whatever old DVD master they had lying around, plus a few exclusive supplements.

It would make a lot more sense if the cheaper standard edition were the theatrical cut, while the expensive Limited Edition was the fancy new Director's Cut. Everything about this release feels backwards.
Old 07-18-14, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I think companies will eliminate the cheaper single-disc editions in favor of "limited" editions priced above $50. It is becoming a common strategy in the anime market, as we are seeing more and more special editions priced at or above $100 with no cheaper edition on the horizon.
True, but I did notice FUNimation is releasing a ~$60 Artbook Edition (Enders Box) of Attack On Titan (Part 2), when it initially was only in the $100 FUNimation Exclusive edition. Hopefully the consumers will balance the prices out a little, as anime titles will suffer yet another onslaught of sluggish prices if studios think consumers are going to fork out outrageous prices for questionable inclusions to make such Limited or Collector's editions.
Old 07-18-14, 02:00 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If they sold out the 5,000, then 6 months after release announced another 5,000 copies were being released, THAT is a bait and switch. But they've announced it so far in advance that anyone who is worried about the limited status of the release has the option to cancel their pre-order. To me this is Shout trying to get this into the hands of as many fans as they can.
Old 07-18-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

As a collector, I "might" buy my absolute favorite movie for this much in a true LE. But there's no way I'd pay this much for an OK horror flick like this.
No one is asking you to buy it. I purchased the LE because I am a big fan of the film - have been since I saw it in theatres. You admit to thinking it's an "OK horror flick" so obviously you wouldn't care to own it. Deal with it.

I see all sorts of folks on this forum getting excited over releases I have no interest in, and I appreciate their zeal and enthusiasm. Doesn't mean I feel the need to follow the leader because everyone else is doing it.

I think collectors are willing to pay a little more (that is a reasonable price) for a truly quality product, but this is too much money .. and not enough quality.
How are you judging the money vs. quality on something that hasn't been released?
Old 07-18-14, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
How are you judging the money vs. quality on something that hasn't been released?
Well in the podcast with Cliff we found out that they found the original audio for the cabal cut, but didn't have the time or resources to go through it all. So for parts of the director's cut they'll be using the audio from the VHS Cabal Cut and cleaning it up as much as possible. I think that's a flaw that might irk some people.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.