Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-15, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts
re: Why isn't TV-on-Blu-ray getting any love?

http://www.ksitetv.com/izombie/izomb...ember-29/69855

Looks like iZombie Seaon One is getting a DVD only release. I guess the Vudu HDX of the season I bought will have to do.
Old 06-29-15, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Something to consider regarding The Simpsons seasons, when I was in a Big Lots in KY a few weeks ago there were tons of copies of various seasons on DVD there, not to mention many other TV shows. If this is where so many copies are ending up, no wonder Fox, et al, are dropping it.

My TV on disc purchasing has gone way down. Most shows are on Netflix/Hulu and we've even started using iTunes for new seasons of Doctor Who and Star Wars Rebels. It just works better that way.
Old 06-29-15, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Something to consider regarding The Simpsons seasons, when I was in a Big Lots in KY a few weeks ago there were tons of copies of various seasons on DVD there, not to mention many other TV shows. If this is where so many copies are ending up, no wonder Fox, et al, are dropping it.
TV shows on Blu-ray and DVD in general seem to be slow movers now days so it isn't just The Simpsons. I still think it had to have been selling somewhat for them to have released as many seasons as they did.
Old 06-29-15, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
A large percentage of those DVD copies included with the Blu-ray sets were going unused. It was probably the easiest way to shave another 50 cents off the unit costs without really affecting customers that much.
You're also talking about more discs for TV series as opposed to one for a movie. I still thinking packaging in an HDX Ultraviolet code would be a tolerable compromise, but that's so not going to happen.
Old 06-29-15, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

I'd rather watch VHS than Hulu...
Old 06-29-15, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Hmmm ..... Very interesting.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/NCIS-Na...-Blu-ray/21259

Wonder what exactly led CBS to a decision to release season 12 of NCIS on bluray.
Old 06-29-15, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
http://www.ksitetv.com/izombie/izomb...ember-29/69855

Looks like iZombie Seaon One is getting a DVD only release. I guess the Vudu HDX of the season I bought will have to do.
The show was fairly lucky to get renewed, the ratings were pretty bad for it. The CW's execs pretty clearly were going to give iZombie two seasons no matter what it did in the ratings. I am not surprised it's not hitting Blu-ray.

The NCIS is a weird choice but one has to remember these calls often come down to one decision by someone in the chain. If the president of the network wants it on Blu-ray, it's coming out on Blu-ray. Sales be damned.
Old 06-30-15, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

iZombie has actually been doing really well by CW standards. Depending on the week, it's often been the network's third most watched series in the demo, behind Arrow and The Flash, and at its weakest, it's still middle of the pack.
Old 06-30-15, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Disney also can't be bothered to give Star Wars Rebels a lossless audio track. Studios just don't care anymore.
Old 06-30-15, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
iZombie has actually been doing really well by CW standards. Depending on the week, it's often been the network's third most watched series in the demo, behind Arrow and The Flash, and at its weakest, it's still middle of the pack.
No other broadcast network would have renewed iZombie with its ratings. It had the Flash as its lead-in and was losing about half of that audience each week. The show has been given a lot of rope because it's from the Veronica Mars showrunners and the CW ironically needs female-driven shows these days.
Old 06-30-15, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

No other broadcast network would have renewed iZombie with its ratings. It had the Flash as its lead-in and was losing about half of that audience each week. The show has been given a lot of rope because it's from the Veronica Mars showrunners and the CW ironically needs female-driven shows these days.
Yet the CW renewed Reign and Beauty and the Beast with even worse ratings. Those renewals were head scratchers for many.

As Adam said, iZombie's ratings were decent for CW standards and actually remained steady most of the season. But you're probably right that the network is overloaded right now with male-driven action shows and is lacking in shows with female leads.
Old 06-30-15, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm puzzled how CBS arbitrarily chose the 1st season of Scorpion to get a BD release when they mostly abandoned the format with their other shows. Hell, NCIS is their highest rated scripted procedural, yet it has never received a BD release. Hawaii Five-O got 3 seasons on BD before it was abandoned. I guess sales were disappointing.

I guess CBS is thinking the show is geared more towards a younger audience so those folks may be more inclined to purchase a high definition release.
Old 06-30-15, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sometimes you just have to take a gamble. Distributors will often have so many slots to fill in their release schedule and pick the best thing that fits.
Old 06-30-15, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Hell, NCIS is their highest rated scripted procedural, yet it has never received a BD release.
Isn't the demographic for NCIS old and very old? Not exactly the target BD consumer.

Scorpion is geared towards a younger crowd, people that actually might spend money on a BD season set.
Old 06-30-15, 10:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

So was Numb3rs which is like Scorpion, and that never saw the light of day on blu. I'm still pissed CBS dropped H5O on blu.

Last edited by E Unit; 06-30-15 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-12-15, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,887 Posts

Agents of SHIELD season two and Agent Carter are up on Amazon listed as Amazon exclusives. It isn't yet known what this means; whether Amazon has an "exclusive" window to sell them, if they are special editions exclusive to Amazon (steelbook or exclusive cover art), or if they're only going to be available through Amazon.
Old 07-13-15, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It'd also be nice if Vudu's disc-to-digital worked with TV shows. You can watch Castle & Bones in HDTV on TNT all the time, but you can't get them on disc
Old 07-13-15, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk God

NCIS season 12 is actually getting a BD release. The previous 11 seasons are on DVD only. Don't get the rhyme or reason behind it.
Old 07-13-15, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

NCIS season 12 is actually getting a BD release. The previous 11 seasons are on DVD only. Don't get the rhyme or reason behind it.
The only only thing I can assume is that someone in some sort of higher position was replaced with a different person who changed his mind. But even that doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense.
Old 07-14-15, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It can often be dictated by the corporate purchasers at Walmart and the other national chains. If they tell studio X we would like to carry a Blu-ray version of this show, the studios will comply. Though that seems remote in this case.
Old 07-14-15, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
My TV on disc purchasing has gone way down. Most shows are on Netflix/Hulu and we've even started using iTunes for new seasons of Doctor Who and Star Wars Rebels. It just works better that way.
That's because you can watch it fairly currently. Granted people still wait and binge a lot, but if they love a show and talk about it with their friends, they don't want to wait till the fall.

I'm puzzled how CBS arbitrarily chose the 1st season of Scorpion to get a BD release when they mostly abandoned the format with their other shows. Hell, NCIS is their highest rated scripted procedural, yet it has never received a BD release. Hawaii Five-O got 3 seasons on BD before it was abandoned. I guess sales were disappointing.

I guess CBS is thinking the show is geared more towards a younger audience so those folks may be more inclined to purchase a high definition release.
Plus Kat McPhee.

It can often be dictated by the corporate purchasers at Walmart and the other national chains. If they tell studio X we would like to carry a Blu-ray version of this show, the studios will comply. Though that seems remote in this case.
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Agents of SHIELD season two and Agent Carter are up on Amazon listed as Amazon exclusives. It isn't yet known what this means; whether Amazon has an "exclusive" window to sell them, if they are special editions exclusive to Amazon (steelbook or exclusive cover art), or if they're only going to be available through Amazon.
I bet any retailer would need to commit to a minimum number of units. In the case of the ABC/Disney stuff, the studio will probably only want to release it once, and no other retailer would want the sloppy seconds after it's already been out on the market. There just won't be enough unit sales to justify it.
Old 07-29-15, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So this is kind of interesting. It sounds like the sales for the sets of The Simpsons were actually quite good, including the most recent season (season seventeen). Adds more to the mystery of why Fox suddenly gave the DVD and Blu-ray releases the axe after all these years.
For those of you hoping for good news, we're sorry, instead you'll find the op-ed piece below.

Al Jean, showrunner on The Simpsons made news back in April when he tweeted that they wouldn't release any more seasons of the show on DVD or Blu-ray. At the time that didn't make sense to us, so we went digging and guess what? It still doesn't make sense.

The Simpsons wrapped their 26th season in May, and have amassed a huge following over the years. Fans want to own the show on DVD, and Fox has released seasons 1-17, and season 20 on the format, starting in 2001 with the release of season 1. There's a gap between seasons 17 and 20 because Fox released season 20 on DVD and BD shortly after it aired in 2010, and they haven't gone back to fill in the hole, and it appears they never would.

It's no secret that DVD sales have dropped off, with many turning to streaming formats (also, because most of the good stuff has already been released), but it's a bit shocking that sales of The Simpsons would get to the point where they can't be released. The past few years has seen the rise of "Manufacture-on-Demand" (MOD) releases for shows that aren't popular enough for pressed discs, but still have enough of a following to turn a profit for the studios. Fox has released a number of shows on the MOD format, using it for shows that weren't as successful as they had hoped, but still want to release for fans. This is definitely an avenue that they could explore for The Simpsons, but they really shouldn't have to.

The fact is, The Simpsons DVDs are selling well enough that they should continue to be released on DVD. Season 17, which was released on December 2, 2014 has sold 55,032 copies on DVD, and 11,421 copies on Blu-ray according to Videoscan numbers (week ending July 12), and that's just for North America (don't forget The Simpsons is a global brand). I asked a studio representative at another company what he thought of those numbers and his response was "We would kill to have titles that sold like that." Yes, those numbers are approximately half of the sales of season 16, but the numbers are still excellent given the market today. I think there's more to this story than "sales numbers are poor." Maybe their sales expectations are too high and they would rather make no money off DVD sales than less money.

Something isn't adding up here because 66,000+ units of a show shouldn't be considered "poor sales." Fox, or Gracie films (whichever controls the DVD releases) should release this on DVD, release it as a MOD title, or they should license it to a third party; apparently there are companies willing to kill for those numbers.

If someone from the show wants to reach out and correct any of this information, we'd be more than happy to include it here.
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Simpson...examined/21379

Last edited by Mike86; 07-29-15 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-29-15, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

This upsets me a lot. I have all of the seasons for The Simpsons and for them to just stop because of streaming (which we don't get here in Canada) is shortsighted and fucking annoying. It's like an FU to people who bought the sets.
Old 07-29-15, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm quite pissed that I bought all the sets to date plus the movie only to have them say they're done releasing them. Especially if the sales seemingly are good even for the most recent sets they've put out. It basically seems like they're saying screw you, use The Simpsons World app.
Old 07-29-15, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep, as most suspected this was a decision to drive hardcore Simpsons' fans to that horrible streaming app. I always thought that was the reason and it now looks very likely.

I assume they'll give this trial balloon a year and then suddenly start releasing more physical sets.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.